The Korean Ver.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by TFfanmaiku, Sep 19, 2012.

1. TFfanmaiku

TFfanmaiku The robot and brony guy!

I from time to time see Korean versions of Transformers. Now I ain't talking about Korean bootlegs or knockoff, but officially legit Korean Transformers. How do they compare to Japanese/ American versions?

2. Lbsammills51

Lbsammills51 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You mean the Korean Sonokong and Mokong reissues of Japanese Beast Wars, RiD and Unicron Trilogy toys?

All are pretty good. I know some have complained about the Korean versions being looser than the American or Japanese counterparts, but it hasn't been dramatic and I wouldn't say it's universal either (mine have been fine. The Sonokong reissues (they handled Beast Wars II, Beast Wars Neo, Car Robots and I think Micron Legends) may "look" dinkier or cheaper because the boxes have no bubble and there is no inner bubble or anything else restraining the toys. The toys are simply placed in a plastic tray. People typically end up receiving stuff with missiles or whatever bouncing around inside the sealed packaging. No one's reported trends of toys arriving broken however.

Mokong handled just Galaxy Force, and the packaging is actually rather slick. They are similar to the Japanese Galaxy Force packaging and come with a lenticular bio card rather than a cheapo cardboard card with no printing on the back or no laminating (like some of the Sonokong cards).

3. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've had Sonokong figures before.

Couldn't tell a difference. Mine even had the Takara/Hasbro stamp on the figures. They're basically Takara figures in Korean packaging, so there's really no difference.

I highly recommend them, especially at the prices offered.

4. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    agreed with what the others have said, got a big convoy korean version from amazon a while back for dirt cheap and it is great

5. Composite Ghost

Composite Ghost Motorized Transformer

News Credits:
    They're very good.

6. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    From my experience, they're wonderful. They're almost identical to the Takara versions of the toys and for a cheap price also.

7. Avengers

Avengers Banned

Their awesome because some of the time they cost so much less on ebay than the Japanese & USA toys.

8. opt1musaber

opt1musaber Victory Saber's Recruit

News Credits:
    The Korean Magmatron vs Big convoy is just as good as the Takara version. The packaging inside is some of the sturdiest packaging I've ever seen for a figure, other than foam packaging, but foam can chip and break, so this is even better.

9. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] Fortress Maximus!

News Credits:
    Those Sonokong/ Mokong Takara transformers are highly recommended!

10. escutler

escutler Decepticon Air Commander

News Credits:
    I just bought a Korean Big Convoy from eBay for a very reasonable price 2 months ago and I love it! The quality is perfect in every way, and I think it is identical to the Takara version- it has the 1999 Takara stamp, although it is also stamped "Made in Taiwan" (was the original Takara one made in Taiwan as well?). I love the figure!

My question is this- I want to buy some more of these so I can get toys I never had access to before, but brand new and reasonably priced, so these Korean releases fit the bill. Does anyone know how many figures Sonokong and Mokong have released? Is there a list? I want to buy more, and I want to know what to search for. Also, is there a better place to buy these than eBay? Thanks for any help you can give me, guys! I have the bug!

Edit: If this "list" is too long, can you guys recommend some of the best figures to look for? I already have Big Convoy (like I said) and I saw a mention of Magnaboss above. Any more suggestions?

11. TFfanmaiku

TFfanmaiku The robot and brony guy!

Alright thank you to everyone who replied! :D 

12. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'll add my voice to the list - the quality on the Korean toys matches their Western/Japanese counterparts, though there are some deco differences (nothing major). The Mocom Galaxy Force packaging is excellent, and well worth displaying MISB.

13. Cracka J

Cracka J TURD PARTY DUMPSTERPIECE TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    that's pretty good news to hear from everyone. I had been eyeing a couple things but wasn't too sure of the quality either. I assumed they were good still since they were official product, but you never know.

14. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

quality is pretty much identical to has/tak, usually you can't tell the difference unless there's running mold change between the us and takara version (rid scourge/car robot black convoy for example - hasbro mold, takara deco), concerns for toys being loose might be valid because it's the third time the molds are used for mass production.

15. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I have a Korean JRX, and apart from the wrong tech spec cards the set is awesome, I can't fault it.

16. escutler

News Credits:
    Which of these Korean figures are highly recommended (besides Big Convoy)? I would like to pick some of these up! For example, I see

- Beast Wars Neo Break Penguin vs. Dead End
    - Beast Wars Longrack vs. Guiledart
    - Beast Wars Corahda vs. Razorback
    - Beast Wars Stampy vs. Sling

Do any of you guys have these sets? Are they worth picking up? Which of these sticks out as worth checking out? Thanks for any advice you can give me!

17. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    ^I'd imagine they'd be the same as the Magmatron vs Big convoy set, so they should be all good.

18. escutler

News Credits:
    Thanks- I agree that the quality of the figures would be good. What I meant was, I don't own any of these figuires so I don't know if these are good (as in fun, cool) figures. Are these good ones? Which of these stand out as fun Beast Wars figs to pick up, versus ones that kinda suck (like Injector)? I loved Big Convoy- any of these on par with him?

Thanks for the reply!

19. opt1musaber

News Credits:
    ^ Personally I don't like any of those, that's just my preference. Probably better off asking someone in the Beast wars thread, there are plenty people with these moulds.

20. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That must have been the norm for Korean Car Robots, as my Baldigus has the cards for Fire Convoy and two Spychangers!