The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    I think Reprolabels is techically a "reproduction", although according to this site ( Counterfeits, Knockoffs, Replicas: Parsing the Legal Implications ), that may still be illegal, especially if Toyhax used the (presumably copyrighted) TF faction symbols without permission (even WITH their disclaimer printed on each sheet).

Also, as for the earlier discussion concerning whether KO's, 3P, etc was theft (ignoring the issue of molds baing physically stolen and/or copied for the discussion), I came upon this from Wikipedia:

(Source: - Copyright infringement - Wikipedia )

This may be why "theft" is not so widely used in such discussions, especially fm a legal POV.

YES, I REALLY need o collect all of this and start a new thread, all about KO (TFs) and the legal and moral debates about them

However, Paul has not given us any more plastic crack pics in a while, so I blame him. In the meantime, here are some new vids from "The Collector 75":

1/

2/

3/

• Like Like x 2
  2. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    Where else is the THF silver repaint available? I just went to order it and it sold out.

And does the regular version have the G1 chest? If not where can I get it?

I had to wait for my bday cash. So angry and sad.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2018
  4. Scourgatron

Scourgatron 4D Smart-ass

News Credits:
    Scared of being outdone!

Titanium was crap. I only bought Megatron and, I would've been better off burning that $18.

One day, I hope Hasbro does a Funko'ish line and releases some greatest hits under Kenner.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Regzero

Regzero Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly there is a member on the boards who is an actual lawyer who may have commented on the legalities (not sure though). Also the subject (legality and such) has come up from time to time:
    Does anyone collect KO transformers?
    IP Theft, why is it an issue?
    Did hasbro patent there prodts like transformers!
    What Makes Reprolabels Okay? - Repro Labels!
    Im sure this gets asked all the time...
    Will HasTak crack down on 3P?
    Why doesn't Hasbro enforce their intellectual property rights?
    Q for people who only buy official products
    Boston tea party, a 3p unofficial repeat of history
    Dragon Momoko raided and owner arrested - Gundam KO, still interesting

All I can say is from what I have seen (lurks way too much) is be careful. This topic can usually awaken a battle of the titans, or simply: people are passionate about their collections. Discussing whether or not their collection or someone else's collection has legal things sometimes deteriorates to a thread being locked or partially/completely removed. In other cases the thread just dies.

• Like Like x 4
  6. destrongerlupus

destrongerlupus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hahaha Didn't realize it was a quiz.

Yes, that's a much better match to Baxinger, never saw him before, learn something new every day. :) 

7. Razorquake

Razorquake Well-Known Member

1519231577372-698966660.jpg "look, I miss Shockwave too, but I'm the cannon arm guy, ok"?

Possibly my two favourite KO's ever, mp10v notwithstanding...

• Like Like x 8
  8. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Thanks for those interesting links! Also, thanks for the advice. We know about the "flame wars" here, as it were (we've had our posts removed, etc) but these discussions are still relevant. Most people (in this thread, at least) are fairly amicable with each other, too.

9. stprime

stprime THE コンボイ that the Matrix refused

News Credits:
    Where can I get that dx9 Salamimore ko?!

10. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    Sirtoys had some, but there were some official versions going cheap at BBTS at one point.

11. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would just get the official one. G was $30, and you can still find him floating around.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Regzero

No problem. The flame wars here are much more calm than it used to be. The mods have worked hard at it. KOs are treated weird sometimes. Partially because, to be honest, KOs are either loved or hated with extreme righteous indignation. There are various degrees in between to be sure, it is just an old touchy subject. As I keep telling people "Oh you hate KOs? Gotcha, so you know Oreo cookies and Legos are KOs as well, right?" Here you mostly have people who are interested or love KOs.

Also everyone classifies KOs differently partially due to their view of them. So while yes I whole heartily agree it is still relevant, consider this is the quick stop for people to see new KOs or ask about old ones. When some subjects come up repeatedly it is easier for all the readers if it is posted elsewhere. After all for example, if a few posters showed off pictures of their OS Warbotron a time or two, it is cool. But to run several pages of pictures of it, sours some people and they ask if it can be in it's own thread. Still the topic is still relevant with OS Warbotron being a KO, but it shouldn't drown out everything else.

13. SMOG

SMOG Vocabchampion ArgueTitan

It also helps that, while I may be arguing in favour of "calling a spade a spade" (or IP theft, in this case), I'm fairly unconcerned with assigning a broad severity or judgement on KO (and related) toys. I'm an avid collector of KO-type toys, and I don't attribute a significant degree of harm to the practice.

I just think it's silly the lengths people go to rationalize such concerns away, when it's really sort of No Big Deal. I'm usually quite happy to play the devil's advocate on an array of topics, but always while acknowledging that I'm doing so. :wink: 

zmog

• Like Like x 2
  14. SMOG

I don't think we need to stress too much about duplication of topics or discussions. These topics ARE relevant to KO collecting, and no matter where topics have been discussed before, they will always come up again, and new people can read or contribute.

In this case, there's certainly no issue of anybody "drowining out everything else". If people want more pictures of KO toys, then they just need to post more pictures of KO toys. Conversations about classifications of KOs don't replace those photos or KO news items, after all.

I have little sympathy for people who decide they need to take up space posting to complain about what other people are talking about (when it's on-topic). That's truly a waste of time. If some people are so spoiled that they're complaining that they sometimes have to scroll past things they aren't personally interested in (SHOCK!) I don't see why anybody should even pause to read their posts. :lol 

zmog

15. SMOG

Just to add that, obviously we don't need people in here attacking the practice of collecting KOs or 3rd party. I think that would just be antagonistic. And fortunately it's rarely an issue in this thread. But the topic of what constitutes a KO, and where the boundaries are is still going to pop up from time-to-time. :) 

Ok... back to toys! :thumb 

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  16. VictoryStarSaber

VictoryStarSaber Well-Known Member

News Credits:
  17. Regzero

Fair enough. Consider though many of the KOs mentioned here have their separate threads precisely so people can discuss the figures in more detail. There have also been a few times when some says "hey has there been any info on X figure". The response is either "Oh yeah here is the info" or "you might want to check this thread over here". If this became the main repository for all KO info, I would kind of be concerned to be honest. But I guess that is just me, sorry to jump in.

Now I am not about to go against the Arguetitan :lol . I have looked forward to your comments and TheONE's as well over the past few years of lurking. In any case back to lurking.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Ellamin

Ellamin Freedom is the Right of ALL Sentient beings.

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Pinterest:
    I frankly would not mind terms like HQKO for weijiang upgraded OSKOs, takasa tony, or kubian bao upgraded type stuff, and IDTF for stuff like maketoys or fansproject where it is an independent designed transformers character. Then 3p upgrade for the classic stuff like city commander, and KO for mech fans and the KO city commander stuff.

Could also go with 'TF-EX' for externally designed optimuses and stuff.

19. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy Banned

News Credits:
    You say that, but that's exactly what has happened to me elsewhere online, and I'VE been punished for it, rather than the "meta complainers".

However, it's due diligence to create a separate thread about certain "big" topics. If anything, it can dispel notions of deliberately taking threads "off topic".

Remember that staff or posters may have their own axes to grind on any given website, and their views upon what is appropriate may not be informed, intelligent or objective, either. Even the most polite, intelligent or rational posts may lead to action being taken. One must be cautious.

As for people attacking KOs, I'm all for it, especially if they want rational responses and a frank discussion on it. I don't think this thread should be like other threads at websites, where cliques viciously attack others for different opinions. That way leads to echo-chambering.

20. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Well-Known Member

I totally agree....