The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Pinterest:
    Why is 6 afraid of 7? Because 7 has a bigger rocket!

• Like Like x 1
  2. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Seriously you started the mental gymnastics on the finer arts of how to Justify KO & 3p?

Ok heres one good tidbit: Takara also did it. Why do you thing Mirage had Citanes and Alitalia completely miss spelled on Wheeljack, and I thing something was off on Jazz too?

That said we all know what we are doing in here, so yeah nobody gives a big fat F. Ill support the KOs and the 3ps untill I see a product that justifies (in my eyes) the cost to buy it legit. So far out of the four times I did that, only 2.5 out of those 4, felt that I got my due. So yeah, KO everything and 3p everything this dude feels no remorse or guilt about it.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  3. itMFtis

itMFtis Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Man, you guys really seem to care a lot about who releases your toys.

• Like Like x 4
  4. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Meh, the discussion only got started because someone was claiming that it’s justifiable for fans to “steal” from hastak but not for ko companies to “steal” from fans. Ultimately they’re all toys and people will buy whatever they think is justifiable for their money

• Like Like x 2
  5. pilot00

Damn right they do :lol 

Ultimately we are discussing about KOs and 3p that have no licence. To anyone who gives a damn (dont look at me) welcome to the guild of people who dont care about such technicalities :lolol :lolol 

• Like Like x 4
  6. RyanCharlie

RyanCharlie Well-Known Member

Can someone start an ethics of KO collecting thread so we can get this derail out of here?

• Like Like x 5
  7. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It’s still gonna pop up in this thread every time a ko comes out somebody doesn’t agree with because the topic still pertains to kos. The best that can be done is to start sharing pics of kos to distract the conversation :p 

8. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

the problem is tfw is full of self-righteous jack asses. it used to pop up in 3rd party threads ALL THE TIME. now it's every ko thread. they moved from 3rd party threads to ko threads.

• Like Like x 6
  9. pilot00

Τhey did try a couple months ago. Only it was not exactly an ethics, it was a matter: "Please dont KO or 3p Takara because they are holy, btw I buy oversized KOs which are not KOs because I buy them". Pretty successfull thread if I may say so. Good laughs were had with the mental gymnastics in there where the Op tried to justify that KOers are cancer, except him who buys OS which are not bad or KOs.....:lol 

This seriously. I want to see some cheap (or not) plastic.

• Like Like x 2
  10. tigatron2002

tigatron2002 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hope I’m not in that category haha (considering I was in the recent conversation) I just call things like I see them :p 

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Look, guys...

The discussion of what constitutes a KO, the ethics of KO collecting, and the finer points of order surrounding the KO market... these are all ON TOPIC in this thread. Stop griping. Post pictures of new toys. Ask questions. Skip the posts you're not interested in. But don't complain and make passive-aggressive comments because not everybody is talking about ONLY the things you care about. Let's not start that entitled nonsense in here. If this discussion is going to happen... this really is the place for it.

To Primalxconvoy...
    You seem to be missing (or deliberately dodging) the point that "theft" is not solely determined through a legal process. It is a fundamental understanding of human society and language. Law does not define these things... it only provides a framework (sometimes) for actioning a response to these things. Legal proceedings are only in place to best approximate justice (or to maintain a status quo) and they are a mechanical system that changes from year-to-year, and from country-to-country. Just becuase an act cannot be prosecuted or litigated (or for whatever reason is not pursued) does not mean that act did not take place or doesn't exist.

Arguing technicalities is only useful if you're trying not to get sued or thrown in jail. I'm sure you can think of some extreme examples through history and around the world that can illustrate how things that were "legal" are still "wrong."

If you are stealing the identity and likeness of a copyright character, expressly so that you can profit directly from making products based on that copyright character, then you are stealing someone else's intellectual property in a very straightforward way. If you refuse to grasp that basic understanding, there's really no point in having a discussion at all.

WeiJiang's upgraded movieformers (just for example) are outright IP theft... from Dreamworks and from Hasbro. Whether that has been legally actioned (or even CAN be) is sort of beside the point.

I'm okay with this. It doesn't bother me, so I don't need to do backflips trying to justify it. I tend to file it away under "victimless" transgressions. I don't think we're hurting people, or that the world is a worse place because we buy KO Transformers. But let's not try to argue that the sky isn't blue, or that water isn't wet. It's just splitting hairs.

zmog

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 6
  12. Max Tower

Max Tower Well-Known Member

If Clothing stores like Zara didn't appropriate other peoples ideas wholesale they'd have almost empty shelves. The Clothing Business is way more mercinary about this than even the toy business is - as they do it openly and in plane site.

For example so many places were keen to copy Calvin Kline underwear it made it almost impossible to find "Jockey Shorts" without that visible elastic waist band on it which wasn't the case before that band wagon got jumped on.

Those Number combiners are also on eBay - I thought they were a bit pricey the sets of straight Transforming number-bots are way cheaper.
    They have been around as an idea for nearly as long as Transformers - I have an old UK mail order catalogue from the 1980's that contains them.

• Like Like x 1
  13. pilot00

I think I have a set of Boxers that are Kalvin Cline stamped somewhere :lol :lol 

14. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    Brand dedication is silly. Everyone wants your money. Just give it to whoever has what you want. In the end none of it matters anyway.

• Like Like x 6
  15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

There are different levels of KOs as well...

Some things are imitating existing IP to appeal to consumers in a more general or associative way.

However, in some cases (notably many of the MP KOs) these are being produced as a direct replacement for the original, to the point of actually fooling consumers. There is definitely a range.

zmog

• Like Like x 3
  16. pilot00

While I agree to this, after completing almost a year interracting in this forum, I believe its not a matter of brand dedication. It is becoming a sort of expressing psychological dissorders. No seriously. I have seen comments the likes of "How do you live knowing that this thing is a KO" etc etc... I mean yeah dude, you are such a better person and your life is going to be SO much better in general because your toy has a stamp on it :lol :lol :lol 

I think more or less we are besides that point in the current time frame. They do even package them with their own brand name now dont they? Yeah there are a couple still but still it takes some elementary effort to spot the thing. Unless you are buying online, usually the price is a dead give away.

Still in certain cases an innexperienced consumer might get fooled, which ofc is not a good thing.

• Like Like x 3
  17. NOCV

NOCV Cretin of Kaon

News Credits:
    It's like I tell my kid all the time, the Transformers Police are never going to knock on your door to give you grief about your collection.

• Like Like x 2
  18. pilot00

Never understood that, never will...If it works for my display.... and all that. I can understand KO dislikes though or even other party offerings. My dad was one of those guys: "You buy what you pay for" and all that. But he never brought it up as a life choice or discriminating people. Heck there was a guy in here who called people human trash and all kinds of fancy things due to their collecting habbits....Go figure.

• Like Like x 1
  19. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

this place tries to brainwash you telling you how to collect. what you can and can't buy. what's in scale. what's cartoon accurate. what's masterpiece and what's not. idc what anyone else thinks. i buy what i like. simple as that.

• Like Like x 7
  20. pilot00

I think I am gonna like this guy ^