The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I have very few issues with the engineering and execution of the MP line (or at least, the KO versions thereof). It has been (mostly) exceptional in terms of the overall "in-hand" experience. All of my complaints and criticisms pertain to their philosophical and artistic direction.

MP Ironhide is a solid piece of work all around. It's just a shame that he looks like he's built out of plain Lego bricks (he is also too large). The execution of MP Inferno's stowing ladder is nothing short of wizardry... it's just too bad that he's so intensely plain and simplified, and that they tried to directly ape his awkward diaper-shaped crotch plate from the cartoon. I should be thankful that Shockwave's design was so untouched between toy-to-cartoon -- he comes out pretty great, apart from the pastel lavender, and the fact that he's a head shorter than he should be.

I'm really hoping to see a KO Loud Pedal soon, so I can do some parts-swapping and get a better-looking Tracks out of it, one that actually recalls the one I owned as a kid (and still own).

The habit of using flat colours instead of metallics, the absence of even minor panel lines to denote or hint at details, the mask-like faces, the blocky, simplistic forms... for me, I think Takara has become slavishly obsessed with imitating the sloppiest, worst elements of the cartoon, and the results are toys that are well-made, but still don't look like items that deserve the premium (increasingly preposterous) pricing.

I feel that the cartoon character redesigns robbed so many Transformers of their intrinsic appeal. I thought they were disappointing in 1985, and I'm similarly disdainful now, even if I am impressed with how well they've been able to capture that "cheap simplistic animation" look.

So yeah...if it weren't for the easy accessibility and affordable pricing of the KO MP stuff, I would have dropped the line completely. As it is now, Takara gets none of my money, which suits me. It used to be that MP products were at least reasonably priced compared to the 3rd Party alternatives, but they don't even have that going for them anymore. It's very true that the whirlwind of the 3rd Party scene has expanded the options we have available to us, so that's cool... I get to have KO MP Inferno standing next to my Maketoys Hellfire on my shelf, just to satisfy my curiosity. :D 

zmog

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  2. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    After waiting and waiting almost endlessly for a KO MP Loudpedal, I resigned myself that the KO version simply isn't happening. The KO corvettes started and ended with Tracks and Roadrage. So I picked up an official Loadpedal for a pretty decent price from Dark Helmet Collectibles on Amazon. Id a KO Loadpedal with rubber tires and better tolerances over the official ever does see the light of day. I'll likely grab it as well.

3. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    I agree, however, although MP Shockwave did have the option to choose either "corect" and "animation" style insignias, it's not close enough to the toy. This is most apparent with the stand/backpack. If you look at it, it seems that it originally was designed to have parts fold inside it and togther to clip on the back of the gun mode, too, which would complete the look. As it is, it's a piece of kibble, "needed" for bot mode to complete it, but only used as a superflous stand in alt mode. NOT good design (it should double as both stand and/or only be used for the back of the gun).

It was details like this that raised my concerns about Takara for the first time, I believe.

4. Ellamin

Ellamin Heroes protect Freedom! not safety! BAKA!!

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Pinterest:
    are there any new iron factory KO's?

5. SMOG

Oh? Yeah, that touch didn't bother me on Shockwave too much. I suppose if you were going for toy AND cartoon accuracy, it would make sense just to keep the partsforming gun-barrel, but I'm willing to sacrifice the traditional backpack to have the integrated gun-barrel. But yeah, it's a bit sad that you need an add-on "cheat" to get the traditional backpack.

Other than that detail, I find that the MP Shockwave is very much a love-letter to the original toy, even down to the detailing inside his chest, and the very particular overhang of his "brow" over his "face"... both of which were never included on the animation model. So there is that.

zmog

6. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    Indeed. Again, though, there's the colour. If only they had released two differently coloured versions. That's why I bought the KO 3P (Lazerwave?)

7. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    Was in the process of inventory, and realized I like my KO's more than official in regards to my wallet.

I have most current official releases, but they get packed away soon after - all cw/uw/tr box sets are back in their boxes behind these guys... Funny how these KO's never get put away.

20171231_235036.jpg

Might be due to them being so freakin' big to store away anyway. :rolleyes: 

Long live oversized KO's. :thumb 

• Like Like x 6
  8. Devastator Zero

Devastator Zero Smirker!

I got my KO MP Megatron the other day, and really like him! Had to open up the stock and barrel extension to loosen things up, but overall good for the price. I wouldn't want to transform him very often, though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. trence5

trence5 Well-Known Member

HAs anyone here picked one of these
    [​IMG] ?

• Like Like x 1
  10. peaces

peaces Well-Known Member

why bother when juijiang is out

• Like Like x 1
  11. robotmel

robotmel Junkyard Zombie

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
  12. ChromeMagnus

ChromeMagnus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The bot modes of TFC's Aerialbots were terrible.

13. CodeXCDM

CodeXCDM Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]
    AMO PE hands/feet. Standing alongside the old Kold Blue Convoy. TBH, I want to get the official Magna Convoy now... Then take this guy, and repaint that new FP trailer armor to fit him.

14. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    Yeah, I've never seen the packaging before. Those are usually seen as a full set of Aerialbots. They're decent but not great. They're awesome to practice modding and painting since they're so cheap.

15. SMOG

I have the full set of these. For $10 each, they're ...not great... I bought an extra of this one pictured above to customize into a Seeker.

The joints are all very, VERY simplified, though the figures do retain most of their articulation. Some of the jet mode details are mixed up in weird ways, but the jet modes still mostly look pretty cool, and the canopies still open. They are oversized, going from normal voyager size to about 25% larger than that. They're big, but not quite big enough to be MP if you're comparing them with the MP seekers.

On the down side, the joints are all very loose, and the plastic is rather poor and VERY flimsy in certain places, where very thin, brittle clips are responsible for holding important parts together. If you are going to handle, pose, and transform these, breakage will be a constant concern. Additionally, one Aerialbot is missing (Fireflight, I think) and instead there's a simplified oversized white Warbotron Blastoff that gets sold in this set.

Silverbolt is probably the best one overall, in terms of preserving the important joints and articulation. He's surprisingly solid and detailed... but still suffers from being made of brittle, inferior plastic. Some people have put some effort into these, painting them up and getting replacement heads, and doing customizing to simulate all 5 Aerialbots, but it's a lot of work, and the combined mode is not very sturdy, and has some joint problems.

Not recommended, unless it's really cheap, and you don't mind a fixer-upper.

zmog

• Like Like x 2
  16. robh

robh Decepticon

Ebay:
    Just don’t.
    Exactly
    . Yeah, I’m one of those guys. Through paint and A bit of kit bashing, he looks rather convincing. However, he’s still pretty fragile and still looks like TFC, despite the G1-accurate paint job. If I was getting a cheap one now, I would get JJ. It’s more expensive, but vastly superior.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SirToys

SirToys OS Multicolor KO

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    YouTube:
    Diecast Combiner.

IMG20180101222930_Diecast_Scout_Combiner_TLK.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. SMOG

He looks cool. I mean, stiff and un-jointed, and Gundam-y... but more stylish than most KO combiners! :D 

zmog

19. pg52282

pg52282 TF fan since 1986!!

Is there any place that still has the KO G1 Prowl?
    [​IMG]

I already have the reissue but would like to add this to my Prowl collection.

• Like Like x 1
  20. fereality

fereality Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Tumblr:
    Well my BTS Sonicron arrived today. The box was wrapped in enough Styrofoam to allow you to spike the touchdown and still probably not hurt the figure.
    20180102_162920.jpg

20180102_172302.jpg
    20180102_162850.jpg
    Now the in package it was held down by heavygauge twist ties. I've pulled them off in this picture.
    20180102_162823.jpg

It comes with an extra head.
    20180102_175319.jpg

And a '9 volt' battery that becomes a second shoulder mounted missile launcher.
    20180102_175556.jpg
    And a stat card.
    20180102_163008.jpg

The robot form is definitely an homage to Soundwave.
    20180102_162736.jpg

And it's altmode is a dictation recorder
    20180102_182929.jpg

There are a few issues I have with it. The hips & shoulders are a lil loose, the right shoulder even in it's altmode (the peg doesn't hold). Also the pegs that hold the legs together in the altmode are a royal pain to latch (only have one of the three done in the above pic).

All in all though she is a welcome addition to my collection. Yes I called it a she. I know she is supposed to be BTS's Soundwave, but I'm using her as a physical representation of one of my OCs, a Soundwave fangirl named Sonica. A former preformer who fell into the Decepticons after reading Megatron’s thesis. She started out using her acting skills as a double agent in some of the smaller Autobot settlements and both gathering information & sowing seeds of discent. After a harrowing escape after being found out , she was greated by the head of Decepticon intelligence himself. She was instantly in awe. With nearly thirty percent of her form heavily damaged she opted for reformatting and after seeing how calm & collected Soundwave was she chose a new format that resembled her new idol. Her earth alt form was chosen from a reporter’s dictation recorder. I may keep it blue, but her coloration is more grey shaded where the blue is, metallic black where the silver grey is, & light blue where the yellow is. So far her companions (all to be customized when I them) are the former Action Masters Screech (a blue & green repaint of Laserbeak/ Buzzkill), Catgut (a black & orange repaint of Ravage), & Fire Breath (a green & black repaint of Rhinohorn). I may add the BTS Yin & Yang if I can get ahold of them.

• Like Like x 2