The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by blunghole, Oct 5, 2008.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Haha... I gave up carrying that flag after Ironhide and Inferno. The apologists are just too rabid. The new "MP" aesthetic really annoys me... because Takara changed their tune mid-stream (when they changed their lead designer) for the worst, and left fans of detail and the original toy aesthetics out in the cold. I mean, it's remarkable how well Takara is capturing that simplistic animated style, but it just doesn't make for a great figure at that size. It makes them look cheap and tacky, when they should look high-end and magnificent. I haven't purchased an (official) Takara MP since.

Which, incidentally, is why I'm all over THF's Dynastron. The metallic finish and toy-style head are major selling points for me. And I have to admit, Takara was the only company to get the shape of Megatron's legs right, so I wanted to get some version of that mold.

The THF Dynastron version comes without any logos. They're all on a separate sticker sheet. And it's normal size, not oversized.

For me, WJ dropped the ball when they used the legs from Apollyon as their model. I mean, at least they simplified them somewhat, so they don't look as fragmented, but I'm still not a fan of those skinny ankles.

Otherwise, it's a pretty nice-looking piece. If I had MPP-10, I'd have to consider it. But I'm already collecting in too many scales as it is. :) 

zmog

2. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    I have all mpp10's except z, so I'll most likely be getting the oversized megs at some point.

Prime needs his counterpart.

• Like Like x 1
  3. fereality

fereality Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Tumblr:
    Let me think about it, shot me a pm and we'll talk.

4. Razzy

Razzy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Does anyone know any place where I can still get the replacement head for weijiang alcee? I was dead to the world when it first came out due to getting a Nintendo switch.

Alternatively a place to get the new revision of the entire figure.

Cya
    Raziel-chan

5. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

Ok. So here's what I've decided. IF the metallic version comes with the toy chest and head I will get it. Shiny equals more g1 toy. So if that is confirmed please let me know.

Also, does this have the back kibble or do I need to find a kit, is there one(?), that has that back piece to add on to hide it?

Third, I saw where someone had printed a g1 trigger crotch for it. I don't remember where or who. Can anyone help me find it?

Last, and totally out there, when someone gets the toy head in hand would you please see if it would scale with CW Megs? Idk how the no head comes off, if at all, and if it does and is the right size I very may buy that head set I posted for it. I have a custom cw Megs and I'd love to be able to use all those faces and g1 head!

6. Devastator21

Devastator21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    When mp-39 gets koed, I might have to buy one to see if i can mod in some way.

7. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

Oh I'm going to need me some G1 toy reprolabels for this!

8. stprime

stprime Exclu-DEAD

Please tell me that the gun barrel folds down beside his waist.

9. vvvTheONEvvv

News Credits:
    • Like Like x 3
  10. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:

Exactly. Some of the apologists couldn't see sense a and understand just how jarring the difference is AND the lack of different versions or features included. They used to give animation/toy/non-animation heads or such-like, or even separate repaints but they don't really bother these days. Plus, even the anime style Lambor didn't even get a new head to match Sunstreaker. They look so different.

I still continue to post my distain for the new MPs; not for the new direction, but rather for the lack of options (which has always been a feature of Takara's releases, especially their MPs).

Also, many apologists seem be to think that "against cartoon" means "toy", but that's not the case. I just want a figure that encapsulates the true "Masterpiece" image, which takes design cues from the cartoon, realistic mecha and vehicle designs and does it well.

MP Optimus, basically.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  11. LarELar

LarELar Well-Known Member

SHO N... now wait. I don’t see a glow in that pic.

Oh, and courtesy of bustabuss’ spoof of the the last dragon flick and the ‘serious’ psa on pills... too much of megs is dangerous (on wallets, in particular).

• Like Like x 1
  12. Devastator21

Devastator21 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

100% this! :thumb 

zmog

• Like Like x 1
  14. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closeted otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That's funny, I'm just sitting here thinking Takara needs to do MP Prime 3.0, cause the one we have just doesn't hit the new ascetic.

I get that you and others are unhappy, but look at it this way. There was NO toon ascetic at all before Takara switched. 3P is completely flooded with toy and MPv2 style bots. So you and the other fans aren't out anything. There also seems to be some overlap in that group who are Scofflaws and are looking to stick it to HasTak anyway they can, so supporting KOs and 3P is a bonus.

I am not an MP guy. But I will say that after the switch I have been vastly more tempted by their products than I was by anything before. Have you handled MP36? He is stunning to look at and staggering to transform. It took me 30 mins just to make him a gun. He is truly deserving of the Masterpiece name in a way none has been before.

I'm not saying you are required to like it, or even think it is good. But you owe it to yourself to find a friend with the MPv3 figures and check them out. Because they are absolutely anything but "simple."

:) 

15. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    No. I've bought all the recent MP figs, and they aren't great. However, like you said, it's the balance that Takara has upset. They changed gears between the "amalgamated" MP look and the "cartoon" look, without giving fans of either look appropriate options to get a unified look for all ongoing figures.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closeted otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

:p 

17. LoranBasaraEvin

LoranBasaraEvin Potato Girl

I'm looking to find some of those CHMS Seekers, namely the purple Air Warrior one. Anyone know where I could find it?

18. vvvTheONEvvv

News Credits:
    2012?

• Like Like x 1
  19. LoranBasaraEvin

LoranBasaraEvin Potato Girl

womp womp :C

20. vvvTheONEvvv

News Credits:
    Honestly though, it was a bitch of a time for me to hunt down 3 purple clone air warriors myself, and that was years ago.

Although I will admit, the damn pink seeker was even more elusive.

Best options for you would be to constantly check eBay (religiously), possibly someone on here will sell (might be costly) or play the want-list with sirtoys... If it actually still exists in a warehouse or attic somewhere unsold and collecting dust, Paul will find it eventually. :thumb