The Knock off transformers thread

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by NemesisBruticus, Oct 3, 2008.

1. primalxconvoy

primalxconvoy グーグル 翻訳は素晴らしいです!

News Credits:
    Some parcels come to me from Singapore, while others are from China. Methinks Paul has got quite the network...

2. Ellamin

Ellamin Heroes protect Freedom! not safety! BAKA!!

News Credits:
    it's a puggleformer face! they're adorable transformers made of felt!

• Like Like x 1
  3. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    As someone with an English degree, seeing an intercontinental debate between descriptive and prescriptive grammar play out on a toy forum is endlessly entertaining.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  4. vvvTheONEvvv

vvvTheONEvvv \/ He Thinks He's Smart.

News Credits:
    How is it "humor" when it's derogatory towards an entire country?

Not upset - just fail to see the dire importance to object to a statement you fully understood the implication of pre-post. It's like you had nothing better to add; as if you were upset at me not caring only 99%, and wanted a full 100% of nothing from me, or nothing at all.

Are you offended because I don't see the importance of your wasted time, creating bios for repainting figures and the need to shoehorn them into your personal manga?

5. primalxconvoy

News Credits:
    Aren't the originals still up, though? In order to fix those, simply edit the post containing the pics, then upload different/edited pics in the original list. I think you need to tap "more options" once you've opened up the edited post?

6. primalxconvoy

News Credits:

As a fully qualified ELT teacher, I would agree with you. However, let us not engage in a urinary contest involving gradable antonyms...

7. primalxconvoy

News Credits:
    I'm not upset at all. I honestly couldn't care less.

Anyway, has anyone either modded TR Clobber to replace the head on the original version of this mold and/or given it a swanky G1 recolour?

8. Convoy

Convoy Now in G2 colours TFW2005 Supporter

I thought I did it. If it doesn't work is no biggy. I told my girlfriend what you said. She laughed and said she'd love to see someone try to make a meme with it

9. DrJest

DrJest Crewdition Washout

Ebay:
    I'm not about to start any arguments, I hope. I think you're both right from different points of view. If you teach English in Japan, you'd almost have to lean to the prescriptive side. Otherwise it would be too confusing for the students. To someone who lives with the language daily, "could care less" may be the most common usage in their particular dialect. Dialect and idiomatic usage in the US is a lot messier than most people want to admit.

I'm always careful to say "couldn't" when I use the phrase. Having others do it when that's the idiom that's developing in the living language is like sticking your finger in a dam with a top-to-bottom crack. At the same time, I don't teach and I can only imagine the stress that seeing that kind of development can cause. I can sympathize because I'm slightly obsessed with people using "comprise" where they mean "compose" but I'm trying to emotionally divest myself from that. Comprise and compose are going to mean the same thing before too long regardless of what I do, so getting preachy about it is only going to cause me problems.

• Like Like x 1
  10. aledromo

aledromo Decepticon at the Gate

Your points are valid and well-reasoned, but I'm not leaving Tombstone. I'll fight off these heathens until my last breath. Impact is not a verb!

• Like Like x 2
  11. Razzy

Razzy Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I just find it funny that shipping to my country (Poland) is almost twice as expensive (USD 29.60 vs 17.10) as to Germany, who we share a border with. First time I have this problem when ordering from an overseas store, usually shipping to the entirety of Europe costs the same.

Cya
    Raziel-chan

12. soybean56

soybean56 Well-Known Member

As a Southener, I guess I can allow this since "Coke" has a capitol C in this case. As we all know, soda and pop are just meaningless silly words. All carbonated beverages are called coke haha :) 

13. Scourgatron

Scourgatron What of it?

News Credits:
    Lol. Word dorks.

• Like Like x 4
  14. daimchoc

daimchoc Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Capital... Capitol is a (lower case c) refers to a building where legislation resides.

Yes, I'm in the South. LOL

• Like Like x 2
  15. Scourgatron

Scourgatron What of it?

News Credits:
    Jesus... I hate that we use Coke for everything.

Gimme uh coke!

Dr. Pepper ain't Coke.

• Like Like x 1
  16. primalxconvoy

News Credits:
    Cheers. However, in terms of use, in daily life, it's still "couldn't care less". It's used that way in the vernacular.

He closest this term is to anything (and I've forgotten what the technical description is) is "third wheel", which really should be "fifth wheel", or to the even more ignorant use of a double-negative, such as "I ain't done nuffin'."

Just because some people do it, doesn't make it correct.

Anyway, that comedian isn't famous for teaching about correct English. No, Sir, not at all...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  17. primalxconvoy

News Credits:
    I'm sure there is a ban-worthy, inappropriate comment regarding your two countries and borders, possibly with "price you pay" there somewhere...

18. primalxconvoy

News Credits:

In the Philippines, "coke" DOES mean "soda", just as "colgate" means "toothpaste", if I remember rightly.

19. Regzero

Regzero Well-Known Member

Funny about appropriate word usage. To say a word is used appropriately in the vernacular is a little bit off. As vernacular is dictated by region or country. So the region or area one comes from can indeed change the meaning of the word. Words have changed meaning over the decades, generations, or cultures. In this case the meaning is understood either way funny enough. I am guessing maybe you meant connotation?

In the KO side of things, I don't recall was there ever an Overlord 3rd Party KO? Or was someone just photoshopping (or whatever they used) and playing with people's emotions?

20. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

There were at least two back in the glory days. One of them with funky colouring ala G2 style and the undersized was red.