Minor/Repaint: The Kitty Truck, finally a WIP!

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Methusalen, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Methusalen

Methusalen Not good enough for G1!

News Credits:
    Well, it's been a while since I started this project... A long time ago, I got a bit sentimental, and requested a digibash of a G1 Optimus Prime into that of the semi my deceased grandfather used to drive... An old orange Kenworth COE that my family lovingly referred to as "the Kitty Truck".
    [ATT]2781[/ATT]
    One that I'd ridden in with my grandpa since I was a little tyke...
    [att]2782[/att]

Now, I got a reply from a few different people, but it was Jimmyjimjim who hit it big with his try, and (almost) nailed the look of the semi!
    [att]2783[/att]
    [att]2784[/att]

The paint scheme I was spot on what it should look like, the only issue I had with it was the whiskers weren't right (as you can see in the first pic of the semi). He did send me another set of digibashes, and he got it right on the money that time...
    [att]2791[/att]
    Now, I only had to get myself another Prime to paint up! -Too bad I didn't have one yet... Just a Reissued Optimus Prime and a Japanese Pepsi Prime, but maybe I'd get lucky and get myself another one somewhere...

Well, as luck would have it, I ended up winning TWO of the U.S. Pepsi Primes from the Mountain Dew "Transform Your Summer" promotion! Having a sacrificial lamb to repaint now, I gained some actual interest in my digibash request... This might be something I could actually do!!! However, since I hadn't picked up a brush in a decade; and after a recent foul-up regarding the use of industrial paint removers I was very hesitant about my own repainting skills... However, I trudged on! Dec0y13 (of Reprolabels fame) offered to create a custom sticker set that would keep my paint applications to a minimum (those black-on-white whiskers/stripes would be the death of me!). With that in the works, I started some minor work on the Kitty Truck. Stipping the paint off of one of the US Pepsi Primes, I've got myself a naked Autobot leader...
    [att]2785[/att]

I whipped up a quick digibash of an idea to put my grandfather & I inside of the Kitty Truck, but without the use of some sort of mini-mini-figs (and the lack of detail I'd be able to get from them), I decided to try a small photo in the driver's side window...
    [I removed this picture from the thread to make room for some WIP pictures further down, but it was basically a digibash of the picture above of my grandfather & I put into the driver's side window of Prime.]

Sherade (from the boards at Seibs); early in his digibashing career, made a mock-up of the Kitty Truck as Masterpiece figure. I wasn't too keen on it (the project is too far beyond my skills), but the paint applications he envisioned for the head were what caught my eye!
    [att]2787[/att]
    So, I asked him to do another, based off the G1 figure...
    [att]2788[/att]
    I loved it, and plan to add those paint applications myself (not so sure about the green eyes though, they look cool, but I'm thinking about keeping them the traditional yellow, unless another color from the final paint scheme would work).

This is where I faltered, there hasn't been any progress since then... While I did pick up a can of Krylon Fusion's "Safety (Pumpkin) Orange", there hasn't been much done with the project. I'm still not too confident in my abilities, although with Dec0y's custom sticker set (a little hesitant to call them Reprolabels, since I didn't order them through the site), the difficulty has dropped CONSIDERABLY! -And this is where I've sat, with my long-term WIP sitting on my desk, staring me in the face.

Until recently that is! Dec0y PM'd me recently, with the preliminary artwork for the custom stickers! Behold his masterpiece:
    [att]2789[/att]
    It's nearly perfect, the only issue was the whiskers... They're supposed to stagger themselves near the grill (as seen in the images of the actual semi above), and Dec0y'd used the early digibash from Jimmyjimjim. He's correcting the art, and should send me the finished art for me to 'sign off on'.

I can't wait! With luck, I'll have the use of my father-in-law's heated garage/barn and start painting the figure in his orange & black paint scheme. The only thing I'm trying to figure out is how I want to do the legs, hands, & head. Do I dye them, or paint them? For now, I think I'll stick to painting them black, but may resort to dyeing them black at a later date to keep paint wear at the ankles (and paint wear on the hand pegs) to a minimum.

I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on the progress, as I intend to bring this to the art contest at this year's Dairycon Art Contest!

-Wow, this post took me a while to type up, I started at 12:05, and it's now 1:30am!-

Attached Files:

2. Jimmyjimjim

Jimmyjimjim Well-Known Member

Hey, that sticker set is looking damn fine! Make sure you post up final pics when it's all done, I'd love to see it!

3. Methusalen

News Credits:
    You betcha! I'll be sure to do so, glad that you noticed the new thread too... I kinda kept you hanging on with the last one, since I never really did any work on him since then... If it weren't for you & Dec0y, I don't think I'd have ever started this thing in the first place!

4. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    You started this back last summer, right? I can't wait to see it finished, honestly. I like it because not only is it original, but isn't a black, red, or white paint of this mold :lol  Hurry up already! :p 

5. Methusalen

News Credits:
    June 10th was the date of the original digibash request, and I've done little bits here & there... My main inspiration was Dec0y's custom sticker set, which has taken a while due to circumstances beyond our control. I'll be sure to get some progress done on him over the next few weeks, so I'll keep you updated...

(Heck, I've still got a Hot Wheels Truckin' Transporter trailer & the Reprolabels set to make Armorhide another trailer that I haven't gotten around to doing...)

6. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    neat

7. Ezilla82

Ezilla82 Expect the Unexpected.

Man, this is going to be sweet. "Beware Decepticons, as you will meet Beastial Fury Optimus Prime." Cant wait to see it finished.

8. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

thats a fantastic idea.

9. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Thanks for the words of encouragement everyone, it's definitely a driving force to keep the project alive! -Heck, even Dec0y wants to find himself another Prime to apply the stickers to...

10. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

I remember this! Keep those hopes set high, I don't want to see another broken dream in the making... *looks at my incomplete Shadow Prime*

11. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

What a concept! I missed this first time around. Yeah, those stickers look great. I really hope you finish this one. Think we'd all like to see it complete. :) 

12. Methusalen

News Credits:
    I've had no time recently to work on it; as I was hoping to get some paint on him by now, but haven't had the opportunity to. Tomorrow looks like I might be able to get some paint on him though, assuming I can get access to my father-in-law's heated garage while he's away at work...

Now, if I can get that sticker set before Dairycon...

13. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Now, I didn't have any luck getting any paint on him today (crappy weather outside, & I wasn't able to get in touch with my father-in-law to get the use of his garage as I had to bring my wife to a doctor's appointment and he'd headed to work by the time we got out of it).

However, I have talked to Dec0y13, and he's going to get the artwork done "in a jiffy", and he's gonna try to get it to me before I leave for Dairycon.... However, he's not sure how long it'll take to get from the printer into the mail!

He told me to cross my fingers & hope for hte best, and that's what I'm doing!

P.S.- Painting will be pushed back to Thursday, the next day that I'll have off of work... Any touch-ups that would need doing can then be done on the following Monday. It looks like it'll be a "wait and see" scenerio as to whether or not I'll have him in time for Dairycon. However, the rest of you will be happy to see a finished product sometime soon!

14. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    Huh, are you going to stick with the shortened reissue smokestacks, or opt out for some longer ones?

15. Methusalen

News Credits:
    This time around, I'll be leaving the existing stacks. If I update the figure down the line, then so be it... I plan on making another (or maybe even a few more) for a few family members, so I may make those additions in future incarnations of the figure...

16. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Well, it's been a long time in the making, but I've finally started putting paint on Prime... Using a homemade painting rig, I've started applying some orange Krylon Fusion to the cab portion of the figure. In fact, I'm waiting for my very first paint app. to dry while I type this!

Wish me luck!

17. autobotx23

autobotx23 Banned

You can do it!!!! Seriously, good luck, bro.

18. Methusalen

News Credits:
    LOL, thanks for the well-wishes!

So, the red of Prime took a lot of thin orange coats to take the right color (as expected), but I think it looked good after the 4th-5th one. The red and blue pieces took the black in 1 coat, it was amazing!

The only problem I had, I started getting a bit 'rushed' towards the end, when I was painting the black pieces. Because of this, I messed up and sprayed a little black overspray onto my finished orange pieces!!!

-I had to take a break and bring my wife home (as I'm doing this repaint in my father-in-law's basement) because she's been having an issue with her eye, and the fumes were making their way upstairs and starting to bug her...

So, after I touch up any of the affected orange pieces, I should be in the clear! Some time down the line, I'll do the little paint accents (the crest on his head, the mouthpiece, touching up the chome of the grill, and the vents in his legs), and I should have it all ready for the Reprolabels! -And hopefully they'll arrive before Dairycon at the end of the month! I'll edit this post (or just add to the thread) when I get my photos transfered from the camera to the PC & Photobucket...

19. Kouri

Kouri kupo

Ebay:
    *ponder*

Are you sanding the coats as you go? I figure that'd take care of the black overspray. o.o

20. Methusalen

News Credits:
    Sanding? Uh... :redface2:  No, I hadn't even thought about it... The light coats of paint went on very smoothly, so I guess I got pretty lucky. If I keep working on my repainting skills, I may go back and make it look even better later on...
    [att]3130[/att]
    I still kinda consider this my first real repaint (besides the Armorhide trailer I did a while back). The only piece I'm going to have to touch up is the torso piece (which the legs connect to).
    [att]3131[/att]
    I'd originally painted the front orange, then taped it off & painted the rest black, only to find out the paint bled under the tape! I'm not really worried about it though, since it'll be covered up by the custom sticker set anyways...

Anyways, here's what I have so far:
    http://s4.photobucket.com/albums/y131/Methusalen/Kitty Truck WIP/
    I think I have to choose a few pictures to remove from the thread to add new ones, so it might take a little while to get them uploaded here on TFW2005... But feel free to check out the pictures in the album!