The Karate Kid (1984)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by HordakFan, May 17, 2014.

1. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

A classic drama that just turned 30 this year!

I loved this since i was 4 when i saw it on video as it became one of my favorites and such a unique story.

"Wax on, Wax off"

2. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Feel old now.

Of course Daniel is the cause of most of his problems. Sure the beach fight was Johnny starting it over Daniel being near the girl. But I don't think they would have giving Daniel grief after that but he starts pushing their buttons. Comments, then the unprovoked hose in the bathroom. Daniel sort of deserved to get his ass kicked.

3. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Yes and no; the hose gag was pretty good and I'd expect a bit of a slap for that - but one of the stunts they pulled on him could have seriously injured or killed him. Don't forget that one of the other Kobra Kai told Johnny that he'd had enough but Johnny was adamant about beating him.

That said, it's rather gratifying to watch Daniel actually grow up across the movies. Daniel from Karate Kid II is a different man to Daniel from Karate Kid I.

4. FoC Grimlock

FoC Grimlock Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Karate Kid is an example of a perfect movie. It's incredibly good.

And yeah, Daniel does start every single fight in the film.

5. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Daniel starts the fights to a degree, but the "bullies" are downright homicidal. Anyways, great movie, and very nostalgic for me to.

6. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Yep, I've had some of those. Tried to drown me for talking back to them...

7. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    I got a question for all the Karateka in the house: was the style of Karate in the film actually a style? Or was it just a mish-mash of various Karate techniques?

8. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    A great 1980s classic about a teenager who comes of age through his Japanese mentor who teaches him karate not just to physically strengthen himself, but to also mentally discipline himself and gain maturity.

Ralph Macchio does a great teenage role (as good as MJ Fox or Shia), but Pat Morita definitely steals the show as the janitor-sensei Mr Miyagi whose broken English gives him a Yoda-like air as he guides his young ward from boyhood to manhood. It was Morita's breakout role, and previously he'd only appeared in comedies like SANFORD & SON.

Mr. Miyagi breaks beer bottles - from Karate Kid - YouTube

The remake with Will Smith Jr and Jackie Chan tried hard, but couldn't capture the spirit of the original. Chan is great, but he just wasn't Morita.

9. The Dark Seeker

The Dark Seeker Well-Known Enabler

News Credits:
    IIRC, Miyagi was from Okinawa. I believe he said the style he learned was from his father. It could possibly have been a form of Shorin-Ryu?

10. Macross7

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'd say his role on Happy Days brought him fame but Karate Kid did make him known to a new generation & a household name.

11. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Okinawan Goju-Ryu. Miyagi in the film is named for Chojun Miyagi who founded the style. I've been training Goju for 17-yrs and hold a 4th Degree Black Belt in it. Also, the kata Daniel learns in Karate Kid III is called Seiyunchin and it happens to be my favorite kata.

(Oh and nice word-dropping good sir, karateka isn't a word most people know. Do you train as well?)

Last edited: May 17, 2014
  12. HordakFan

HordakFan Banned

Who else dug Elizabeth Shue in this movie? she was one of my first celebrity crushes.

13. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Not in Karate, but I've studied Jiu-Jitsu for over ten years. Training scaled back since I started saving money to buy a house after I got married, though.

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I love this film, the last two not so much. They weren't good films but saved by the viewers connection to Daniel and Mr Miyagi.

The... Next Karate kid (with that Oscar winning actress) was pretty horrible even with Michael Ironside as the bad guy leader and the less said about the recent Karate Kid remake the better.

I didn't know this was based on Goju ryu, I thought it was Shotokan or Wada ryu or a mix of those two.

15. Macross7

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I agree, Next Karate kid was horrible. Not the fact the kid was a girl. The fact that the bad guys were bad guys for no reason other then they were assholes. Parts 1-3, the bad guys at least had a justification for beating up Daniel (Part 1: Daniel caused it for being an ass himself, Part 2: Japanese Honor & Daniel again caused it partly Part 3: Revenge for Daniel winning the competition & Kobra Kai Dojo's going under.)

The Karate Kid remake is way better then Next Karate Kid. Although, there is nothing to say the other movies didn't happen. The kid wasn't Daniel & Jackie Chan wasn't Mr Myagi.

16. Sentinel

Sentinel TF Museum Curator Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    I wouldn't say based on Goju, but the name and kata definitely came from Goju. It's fun little thing for me to tell potential students when they come to my school.