The Joys of moving a collection!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jedi prime1, Mar 22, 2007.

1. jedi prime1

jedi prime1 Well-Known Member

It looks like I am going to be moving soon(I hope not I like my apartment) so that means tie to move the collection. The last time I moved, I put all the parts that came off the TF(missles, armor, minicons, guns) all into one big seals plastic tub, the rest I put into alt mode. The hardest part of moving my collection was figuring what missle went with what TF. The fun part: Transforming my entire collection! When I move agian it will be worse becuse My collection has grown quite a bit.

2. iDarkDesign

iDarkDesign Rodeo Lawyer

News Credits:
    Aaaaaah, fond memories....

a tip. Try to divide the accesoiries into easy to difine groups. Put them in ziplocks and then in the bin. It's how I keep most of my accs. For example. G1 autobot accs. G1 decepticon. Armada, BW etc.

iDD

3. ChErikS

ChErikS Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I had to go through this last summer. Luckily I only moved 30 miles and was able to stretch it out over a month so could do a car load at a time. It was such a short trip that I didn't even both to transform most, I just placed them carefully in plastic bins. The tough part was putting them back up. Looking at all those bins and seeing bare shelves can be a daunting task.

4. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    I just stored all my Alternators. In order to do so, they went from robot to car ... and I'm never, ever, going to do that again.

It seriously took 2 solid evenings to get through the entire pile of them.

5. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I've only had to do that once. Fortunately, a lot of my stuff is MIB/MISB, so I don't have to mess with them too much. For the loose guys, I usually put them in alt mode and then into a Ziploc bag with their accessories. Still a chore, though.

6. e3nine

e3nine Poop.

News Credits:
    oh also, for figures with extremely sensitive plastic (Alternators), be sure to wrap them in a piece of xmas tissue before putting them into the bags.

plastic bags cause surface scuffs on soft plastic.

Put a junk CD-R into a ziplock. Rub the baggie against the writable side. After a few tries, it'll look like you used sandpaper instead.

7. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I dare not to think about the move Ill make in the early summer, ..jesus , all TFs, SW, boxex, statues...man It will take forever

8. flywheels

flywheels Decepticon Assault Team Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I can vouch...moving a large toy collection of any kind sucks!! I'm in the middle of doing so now. We're having some friends help this weekend to get everything out of the house and into storage until our new house is finished being built...but I've already instructed everyone that any boxes labeled as 'collectibles' is off limits. Only myself, my wife and my older brother are allowed to move those boxes!

The idea of having to reset all of the track shelving on the wall and re-display everything is definately more of a job than a hobby. I'll be so happy once everything is done and set...but that won't be for 2 months at least!

9. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    moving TFs: when you wish you were a MIBer.

:( 

10. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

Good luck, man! As it turns out, I am doing the same thing! In fact, I boxed all my TFs up and moved them halfway just this week. However, like ChErikS, I am only moving a relatively short distance (about 100 miles or so) and there are shelves there ready and waiting for me (my fiancee's place, we're getting married and I'm moving in at the end of July). My Alts. have already been living there in great comfort for half a year (we have a small room just for toys, hewr's and mine, it rules).

11. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I have moved too many times to count, but packing every piece of the collection can be fun because I rarely handle every toy that have, plus they get dusted in the process.

That being said, there are always some casualties of the move. Broken or bent pieces are something that is inevitable, especially with some of the more fragile figures.

I am still in the process of unpacking and am a little disappointed with some breakage, but over things look pretty good.

Oh and for the record, Little samich bags ftw for moving.

12. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Moving my collection last summer wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Fortunately most of my toys are MIB/MOC and were already packed in boxes due to a lack of space. For the loose stuff I put the accessories in a bag and layered the TFs in bubble wrap within the moving boxes. I only moved about 15 - 20 miles so I was able to move things a truck load at a time.

Now I just need to finish remodeling my basement and get some shelfing put up so I can start put the rest of my collection on display again.