Customs: The joy of magnets

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by acollier, Feb 8, 2008.

1. acollier

acollier Well-Known Member

Where do people stand on using magnets in customs?

Now, this ties into the whole "love it or loath it" nature of parts-forming. More and more, i'm resorting to using magnets in customs to achieve certain configurations that just aren't possible without a major engineering feat.

Jin is a notable proponent of the rare-Earth magnet and his Ultra-Magnus Magnusson crotch/grill is a perfect example of a time when magnets are needed for a certain aesthetic look.

So, how many of you are becoming attracted to magnets?

2. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

I love 'em. Wish I knew of a place around Halifax where I could get some.

3. seali_me

seali_me Buhawi Gabay-Tala

used it once so far and i love it. :D 

4. agentgro420

agentgro420 Le potteux

Ebay:
    go to your local walmart and buy a Magnetix kit( some kit as cheap as 7$ and you'll get over 15 magnets). those magnets are really good, even though they're a not as thin as Jin's rare-earth magnet and you'll need a dremel to take them off their socket.

5. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    They also have these ones called ProMAG in the crafts section and they are a little stronger than the earth mags but a it bigger. Or gaussboys.com I think has a lot of magnets too. From tiny to a 120+ lb pull. Thats very attractive :) 

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Wasn't there a place that specialized in geological and educational knicknacks on Barrington, close to the intersection with Sackville?

If it's not still there, I believe that Lee Valley (specialty craft supplies) in the Burnside Industrial Park carries rare earth magnets... you could look them up in the phone book and call them to confirm easily enough.

Man... I haven't lived in Halifax in so long... I'm getting all nostalgic. :) 

zmog