The joe mad uncanny xmen run

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by wheeljack01, Aug 15, 2008.

1. wheeljack01

wheeljack01 Happiness is a warm gun

So of late I have been buying some back isues I had and enjoyed as a teen for a cheap price. The run I have been buying is from 320-350 plus astonishing xmen 1-4. I remember my favorite three books at the time were uncanny by Mad,joe kelly and Mcguiness deadpool, and morrisons JLA. The issues that I liked the best was the Joe mad drawn issues. I read the whole 4part astonishing series and legion quest the other night and I remembered how much I loved it! Though Mad didnt do any interior art for legion quest he did a cover or two. I figured I would buy the all books and be left cold with the art/stories, but I am so glad I was wrong! During the Mad run the book was written by Scott Lobdell, and he in my opinion is one of the best x-men writers to come along. I loved the way he wrote storm and how he wrote the blink/sabertooth relationship in AOA. So anyone else a fan of this (in my opinion) great underratted run of uncanny xmen?

2. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Lobdell's run is decent up to AOA, but most of the stuff afterwards is abominable IMO. The only thing that saved that material is that the trainwreck Davis and Claremont runs that followed made it look readable in comparison.

I've got no time for Joe Madureira either. IIRC he was proceeded on Uncanny by Peterson and Romita Jr, both of which are far better.

3. wheeljack01

I liked the run but I wiill admit its got nothing on the claremont, cockrum/byrne/smith/romita jr/silvestri/lee runs. It is a fun run though.

4. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

it was because of MAD's art and Lobdell's writing that i started buying Uncanny X-Men post-AoA.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Lobdell's writing was pretty hit and miss. He did some fantastic down-time and emotional issues and the AoA is a modern classic, but most of the times he tried to do big action pieces it went really bad. Onslaught was a complete disaster, due largely to the fact that Lobdell was making it up as he went along with no sort of advance planning. He was also terrible at writing Magneto, usually depicting him as a foaming-at-the-mouth lunatic. His last big storylines, Operation Zero Tolerance and Gambit's trial, were both ended with abrupt rush job finishes when he left the books abruptly.

I did like Maduriera's art, though. It was distinctive and polished, even if a little too anime influenced for my taste. It's really a pity that all he did after the X-Men was disappoint his fans with the unfinished Battle Chasers and really, really horrible Ultimates 3.

6. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I miss the original Age of Apocalypse.

7. wheeljack01

I miss it too. I heard blink/sabertooth are in exiles now? I dont keep up with the book, so I don't know the story.

8. DevilzFan

DevilzFan CobraIsland.com Veteran

I guess I'm one of the only people who doesn't care for Joe Mad's art all that much. It always looked too anime-ish to me.

9. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Sabretooth is the leader of Exiles now....Blink took a break to watch former fellow member Sasquatch with her pregnancy or something.

i dont really like Claremont's Exiles run...ever since he started, it's been crap...

10. ErechOveraker

ErechOveraker I'm with Plowking.

News Credits:
    Lobdell's WildCats 2.0 run started off really fun, too bad Charest couldn't keep up. That first issue, with Grifter, is probably the best the series has ever been.

Lobdell's X-men was good enough, but Joe Mad and Bob Harras really kept it from being better, not to mention all the crossover crap back then. Can you imagine having to actually write the mess that was Onslaught with a straight face? Yikes.

11. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Joe's stuff was pretty cool, for the time. But it's like going back to old MC Hammer tapes when I flip through those back issues again.