The Jeff Dunham Show Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Orion_Prime48, Oct 23, 2009.

1. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

I haven't seen the show yet but this wouldn't surprise me. He might just not care as much about his skills anymore on account of his popularity. I actually noticed this during one of his specials (forget which one); he had Jose singing in a box and he would make the singing louder or quieter depending on if he had the box opened or closed. Problem was, you can very clearly see his mouth opening wider and smaller. Ironically, this is when Jose said "is a good trick, senor."
    I rarely have access to any decent TV as of late, so I might try to look this up on YouTube or something so I can get an impression of it.

2. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

I just watched this weeks episode, and yeah...It would seem to me that old Jeff's skills are slipping a bit. During the whole Achmed sketch I kept hearing Buhba and Peanut's voice.

The Walter skits were pretty funny though.

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    If Comedy Central let him do what he wanted we would probably have a much funnier show.

I forgot the second episode was last night after being reminded so many times. Guess that's a sign that i won't be watching this again, unlike his specials, which I'll watch every time.

4. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I hate Jeff Dunham.

5. CrypticIllusionist

CrypticIllusionist Well-Known Member

Cool story bro. Do you have another one that has, say, any sort of substance or contributing nature?

6. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Yesterday's episode wasn't much better than the first episode.

7. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    That was about it. But thanks for the internet meme. It was funnier than Jeff Dunham.

8. SpoonsTheSecond

SpoonsTheSecond Banned

Okay mister pointless post, why dont you go play the guitar and not being a virgin out of this thread?

9. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    ^^^careful there. Some mods hate when you play Mod, lol. (and i certainly don't wanna play.)

I did hate what little i saw of the show. Achmed sounded at times like he lost his accent and was just straight up Jeff.
    The gay elements were lame. (Bubba Jay at the gun range falling for the vet/gun owner.)

As for Comedy Central, i find it strange to hear that they toned down Jeff's show.
    sounds as though they sabotage shows that aren't Daily/Colbert/South Park.

and they didn't try too hard to tone down dog salad tossing Sarah Silverman.

this is just theory from me.

Mencia, Chapelle, they seemed to have control of their shows. Root of all Evil? Hell if i know what that was for.

10. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    I caught a little bit of episode 2 or 3 whichever again Walter was the best part of the episode and Achmed was easily the worst. its a shame really

11. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I'll just wait for Important Things Season 2 next year. The air time for this show and some of Comedy Central's other attempted shows would be better served with more D. Martin.

12. King_Manta

King_Manta Well-Known Member

Same here. I can think of many situations where racist puppetry might be funny, but Jeff completely fails at everything he attempts. It honestly just sounds like he's rambling at himself.

And a real shock comic named Lisa Lampanelli said that you only make fun of people you like. Jeff seems to not understand that. He has many 'stereotype' puppets, but they seem to be the wrong kind of stereotype. I'm sure that dead terrorist puppet makes the teabaggers pat their hands like a wind-up monkey. Most of Jeff's comedy is actually using puppets as vent-figures. It makes you realize that Jeff is mostly just a hateful jerk. There's no joke or punchline other than a guy hating on people he doesn't know or understand while wearing a thing on his hand.

13. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

^
    Well that sounds a bit like hyperbole to me, I wont defend old Jeff as some kind of brilliant comedian. He is one of the lower forms of comedy, right there next to blue collar.
    Ventriloquism was always more of a novelty act then it was comedy. Though now, the biggest novelty to Jeff is the fact that he's still around.

I won't lie, the show does suck. The only reason I gave it a chance was because I always remembered Jeff for his skits with Walter and Peanut, which I'll always think were funny. Not brilliant, but funny.
    I don't think he is being any more or less racist or insensitive then any other comedian that does the same kind of jokes. He's just trying to do them in his own craft, and it's not working out all that well.

14. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

I'll echo that I just don't find him funny, and I don't really see the appeal other than the novelty of the puppets. To each his own, I guess.

15. King_Manta

I dunno, I generally think you can judge a person by what makes him laugh. If this makes you laugh, then its time to check yourself.

16. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

You make me laugh. I wonder what that says about myself?

17. FMA1987

FMA1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    This sucks cause i really wanted to see this show

18. King_Manta

You're willing to start flame wars over a washed up ventriloquist?

19. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Wow, pot...meet kettle.

20. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

Nope. I was more laughing at your self richous comment about judging people.

Like I said before, I'm not here to defend the guy, I just enjoyed some of his stuff in the past, so I wanted to give his show a chance.

I can agree, he seems pretty washed up these days. So lets just end it at that and try to put this petty nonsense to bed, before it does turn into a pointless flame war.