Minor/Repaint: The Jazz Meister

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Alteron_Sheng, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Alteron_Sheng

Alteron_Sheng 'Tis an Kitbasher & Elder TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well, I've been working on Jazz for several days now, pretty much snatching a few moments here and a few moments there while I worked on installing walls, floors, etc in the basement.

The Jazz that I bought had 'wandering' blue lines, where they weren't straight on his hood or bonnet. So I removed his original decals and sprayed him with white paint, then used tape to give him his blue lines and red central line, then gave him his sky blue pinstriping. I then decided that I wanted to add a bit more, so I added red pinstriping on the outside of his dorsal stripe, then sky blue pinstriping above his sidepanel decals. I did the best I could with his rear-lights, though I'm sort of 'meh' about them. I painted his rearwindow (with small 'lights') painted up his rims etc.

I did do some minor mods to this Jazz. The fist and most obvious is that I used hXcpunk23's AWESOME Jazz-spoiler and carefully modded both it and Jazz's spoiler to make one single, mobile, whale-tail spoiler. I also used sculpy to change his scowl to a faint smirk (it didn't photograph as well as I would have liked, it actually looks better in person) and I shaved down the upper portion of his chest to make some room so that he can keep his gun stowed under his hood in robot mode and still have everything in place.

...oh and I drybrushed his gun with some steel paint and used flat paint and dullcoat on the black of his wheels.

I'm actually rather proud of how he came out, and with how my first try at pinstriping came out.

Attached Files:

2. JazzEd

JazzEd Truckasaurus!

Awesome work dude! I really like the paint, it remind me of the orginial Martini Racing paint scheme.

3. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    Thanks! ^^ I had a lot of fun with Jazz and am very proud of him^^
    I will admit that the reason I initially gave him the red pin-striping was in tribute to Herbie... I'm a geek, I know. ^^

4. Pun-3X

Pun-3X Well-Known Member

I always love when someone makes a new spoiler for him. They always look better than what comes with the figure.

Good stuff. :) 

5. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Excellent work, Jackie! I love the pin-striping (MUCH better than I could do, I'm sure--lol) and I love how you went about attaching the whale-tail to the existing spoiler! It seems to blend right in and it looks great still. Glad you're happy with the spoiler! I also really like the red stripe running around the bottom of the alt mode and the paint apps look silky smooth. I'd love to see the face mods up close sometime.

Keep up the great work! And hit me up anytime if you'd like any other parts done (working on some add-on Wheeljack parts for Gen. WJ--new wings and maybe even a slightly larger spoiler, though not over-the-top like Jazz here). lol

6. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    Well in this case I didn't make the spoiler, hXpunk23 did, although I modded mine to attach to Jazz's 'real' spoiler as I wanted it to be both higher and futher back than it would have been on it's own

Thanks^_^

Yeah, leaving that bumper/bottom zone white always just looked unfinished to me, so it was one of the first paint apps I did. I think I learned a few new tricks to do pinstriping next time, although I have discovered that curves and curved surfaces are EVIL. the area around Jazz's back tires took FOREVER to tape off/paint.
    I most certainly adore the whale-tail you sent me^^ To attach it to the existing spoiler I cut off the bottom styrene that was under the raised sections (the central 'vent' and side based 'support trusses') Then I cut a notch in the existing spoiler where I'd left the bottom of the whale-tail. I slid it into place, glued it then used fix-it to both blend it together and strengthen the connection (the truss and vent actually just 'sat on top' of the existing spoiler, helping create a stronger connection. I extended teh support trusses with fix-it and then I went about removing Jazz's wandering blue-red decals and hit the whole thing with white paint (since I had a Hasbro Jazz he was bone white instead of true white)
    If I could get my camera to take a close up I would... sadly I only have my camera phone:S If you're ever in the area, give me a call and come on by^^

Not sure if I'll be wanting the Wheeljack wings, but I'll certainly keep an eye on what you're doing and will likely bounce at a chance to get something you make soon^^

7. Starstriker

Starstriker Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Where can I get the spoiler?

8. hXcpunk23

hXcpunk23 The Chaos Bringer

Ebay:
    Shoot me an email here: hxcpunk23@gmail.com

I custom build them from styrene, so if you're interested, shoot me an email and we'll discuss it and price. :) 

9. Alteron_Sheng

News Credits:
    The spoiler was made by hXpunk23 who... just gave you his email^_^;
    They're really cool, and made out of a very nice styrene with nice detailing (the central venting alone is AWESOME, I worked hard to keep that intact on my Jazz)

10. Dinodigger97

Dinodigger97 germinates within you.

News Credits:
    :)  :bay