The irony of where MP has headed

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by FortressMaximus1976, Aug 13, 2017.

1. ShawnBerger4Mayor1985

ShawnBerger4Mayor1985 Shawn Berger Campaign Manager

Yup, that's how I want my Blast Off! The Combaticons being scaled in relation to their alt mode sizes in the real world would result in figures being nothing like the Combaticons of either the show or original toyline; can't see why that would ever happen. That's if we ever get MP Combaticons to begin with! And/or MP Runabout & Runamuck! Here's hoping for one day.

Every member of my collection of 35 official G1 MPs has a proper place besides any other in my display. I suppose my collection wouldn't be to your liking, but I'm unapologetic about my happiness and satisfaction with it, so I guess we just have a big case of agree to disagree here. ;) 

• Like Like x 5
  2. danny boy

danny boy Banned

News Credits:
    FT carrying the torch for Hasui :lol  :lol  :lol 

[​IMG]

:lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  ....I'm in stitches.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 8
  3. botfan

botfan Quote this Avatar

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    Except the entirety of Transformers has been one big collection of "close enough"s.

Especially back in G1 when Hasbro literally built the line around multiple Japanese toy lines that outside of being transforming robots didn't really match at all.

I don't see even Masterpiece as a line that can possibly escape those same compromises.

Then frankly you would most likely be here complaining that Takara cancelled their Masterpiece line in order to make their new "Anime WOW" line or whatever and now you have to buy the new Optimus and Starscream.

• Like Like x 7
  5. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Here we go again.

6. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

I am totally into this, that was a hilarious scene to me! But, I would have preferred it being more MP10 line like then the current toon aesthetic, which just is bland/boring and ridiculous to me. To me.
    I do a mix collection of CHUG and MP so none of his points affect mine but I'm curious on how toon accurate people see the previous MPs now? I can't do the current ones, the look does clash with everything else to me and just doesn't fit in and no way am I going to restart my collection for some ugly new MPs but, based on responses here, I would think a lot of the toon people would do this for their collections.

7. Crim

Crim Well-Known Member

He said separate line, it's pretty clear he means not cancelling MP (although if they had done that I'm sure a ton of the fandom would be freaking out and saying MP is cancelled now because of the new anime WOW! line even if Takara comes out and say it isn't, just look at the MP Dinobot thread.)

• Like Like x 1
  8. pilot00

pilot00 Well-Known Member

Its not nostalgia. Its extreme fanboysm. Also this kind of thinking doesnt come from the "old ones" most of the time, but newer fans who embraced the G1.
    Most of us oldies, didnt want a "what you see is what you get" representation, we wanted a new "what its was supposed to be" represenation, since we first and foremost understand the flaws of the designs. And before you get me the "But when I was a kid" line, guess what? We are not kids anymore, we are not wearing rose tinted glasses (and if you do, well remove them its for the better).The carbots, Ultra Magnus, The Seekers, Soundwave, Optimus, Barring their QC issues and the Stupidity of UMs Articulation had all been stellar and as accurate to the show as they should be without becoming stupid and their paint apps and overall design played to the "Robots in Disquise theme" despite the fact that G1 had threw it out of the window, to lower the expense of the animation and no other reason whatsoever.

So now we are given a "cartoon accurate" Megatron and a "cartoon accurate" Sunstreaker, that both have a mid section and back that looks like a satellite photo of an industial complex, tablines that look like the seperating lines of a satellite photo of an agricultural complex, faces that look like hentai lolies, and we call it "cartoon accurate". I call it "cartoon lazy". If people feel thats what they want from the MPs, well....be my guest, I never claimed everyone is an aesthete.

Good thing there are 3p companies now so we can pick and choose.

So what happened nearly 30 years ago should be repeated to infinity ad nauseam? And there I though most people in these forums were advocates of progress :lol 

There is a + line or subline. If they wanted to cater to the people that want a Sideswipe with "With the Lambo shield, without the Lambo shield" and a car without tail lights, they could get those no? But ill tell you what, doing it cheapskate like emulating the sunbow in every opportunity seems to have worked well so they can cut their costs a bit while increasing their pricing.And we all thank them for it. After all the arguement is more paint (but they are doin g less details.....) and more moving parts (but there are figures in the same line with more moving parts that are on the same cost or cheaper...)Yey I guess?

• Like Like x 4
  9. GizmoTron

Ebay:
    Yes but there is no chance of there ever being two separate collector's lines on the level of Masterpiece from Takara, they don't have the time or the resources to devote to them, which is why Beast Wars didn't get to be it's own MP line. There's no scenario where they can make the anime accurate line but continue to still churn out the "old style" MPs on a regular basis.

My point is that what happened 30 years ago is impossible to escape. Transformers never matched perfectly then, and they still won't match perfectly now. It's always going to be a case of "close enough".

The + line isn't a new line anymore than MP-12G was, call it a sub-line if you want but it's the same MP toy with new paint.

• Like Like x 5
  10. pilot00

Nothing is impossible in a toyline and a fantasy setting. Weather there is a need or a wish for it, now those are entirely other matters.

Technicalities, and in no way an arguement over the fact that the option exists. Limiting those options, now thats a problem.

11. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I love that title now.
    Takara should rename.
    Anime WOW! ftw :lol 

• Like Like x 2
  12. pilot00

He carried Galvatron and I am not 100% about this Cyclonus too, in the great broadcast of 2006 inside him. And again I am not 100% certain about it but I think the combaticons retreated inside blastoff in the episode with Ultra Magnus birthday.

EDIT: Just rewatched it. It was Soundwave in the big Broadcast.

EDIT2: Yep they board blastoff in Surprise party....And so does Bruticus apparently :lol :lol :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  13. GizmoTron

Ebay:
    I like your optimism, but as long as the name of the game is recreating G1 "faithfully", I'm afraid we're stuck in these endless debates in both the official forum and also in the 3P forum (where the bickering and nitpicking is at least three times as bad).

I like options, too, and I like that MP-12+ is far more dynamic looking with his new red over what the original used, but it's barely any different and not reinventing the wheel here for Sideswipe. So I think I also prefer it when Takara hits both the toy and toon in one go like with MP-39 Sunstreaker.

• Like Like x 2
  14. pilot00

Faithfully is one word, stupidly is another. This has nothing to do with 3p or official. The only thing that concearns either is who is doing it better.

Exactly having options is the best way to do this. Severing options and forcing a redesign in the midle of a toyline is the opossite of providing options. Glad you like them, but that doesnt mean everyone has to. And thats why having a seperate + line was a good idea....

15. TM2 Dinobot

TM2 Dinobot closet otaku

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would buy that in a New York minute.

16. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I really don't understand the problem people have with Ironhide. How much more detail do you need for the vehicle mode? I think it looks creat and the robot mode looks great.... maybe the face is off.

Inferno, Grapple, Artfire, same thing.

Ultra Magnus, I thought looks a bit too simplistic, certainly for his size.

Megatron, I got turned off by his complicated looking back and transformation.

Shockwave was a bit dissapointing due to him feeling very simplified and they should have put a sound feature in him.

Tracks I have no strong opinions of, but he does feel a little light.

Bumblebee was cool.

Wheeljack I don't really like, probably should sell him, he just doesn't feel like Wheeljack to me

17. snoopcow

snoopcow Mold hoarder

Mp has become non hollow CHUGs scale ever since mp09 , at 4 times the price of regular CHUGs and rising still.

• Like Like x 2
  18. darwin

darwin Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    with your blind fanboysm?

No tanks.
    Too funny

• Like Like x 3
  19. LeakinLubricant

LeakinLubricant Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    The change in direction is the reason I'm out of collecting at the moment. I loved the Masterpiece line when MP-10 was released and continued to do so all the way through to MP-22, got me this is where the line began to nosedive, I continued to pre-order figures but the more I saw of Ironhide, Hot Rod and Shockwave the less I liked. I soon canceled all my preorders and eventually sold up on what I now consider to be a dead line. For me MP-10 and MP-13 were Masterpiece at their best. The perfect blend of toy and toon that has sadly gotten lost in the new direction.

20. GizmoTron

Ebay:
    It has everything to do with both official and 3P, because both are scrutinized heavily with MPs, even more so with 3P where every little thing is nitpicked to death. All because of how things were done 30 years ago and people unable to unanimously decide what "doing it better" is.

But again the + line isn't going to be a separate line, it was never going to be a line wide alternative where every MP gets a + version.

Takara also doesn't treat the newest MPs as some new direction that is different than what came before, that's really only the people that makes these threads.

Of course everyone doesn't have to like it, nor does it matter to me if they do, as I said collector's are perpetually too picky about what they want and I wouldn't imagine everyone here ever agreeing on anything.

• Like Like x 7