The iPad

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by skywarp, Jun 4, 2010.

1. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

Well finally took the plunge, actually my wife picked on up for me on tuesday. I was a little taken back with the idea of a tablet.

But after using it all night the last two nights, I almost prefer using it over my laptop. The lack of flash has not been a problem yet. although it might at some time.

I could get in to a lengthy review, but it is the best tablet you can buy. Which does not say much I know since it is the only one out.

2. Counterpunch?

Counterpunch? Interior Renovator

Ebay:
    God, I want one so bad to lord over people in public.

I have dreams about sitting in Starbucks with it and getting all pissy on purpose when people ask about it.

"Yes, it is great. No, you can't touch it. I am sorry that in the world you live, AKA the time before Christ, technology is unavailable to you. Perhaps you can make a cell phone out of coconuts."

Then, I would turn the iPad around to show them that I drew a big penis on it.

(I seriously do want one and the above rant is only one of the many reasons I want an iPad. Like what you've stated, I think it's a great living room computer that would take the place of my laptop for internet related stuff.)

3. skywarp

skywarp The extra Autobot

It is great a consuming data like web, video, or music. With an email or small document being just fine. It will not replace my Macbook Pro for creating stuff like long documents, videos or anything else.

My only gripe is that there is no numb on the J and F keys when you type on the screen. Which is very minor.

4. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I picked up one on launch last week and so far I'm having fun with it. I'm still waiting to get the screen protector I ordered before I start messing with it too much, but I've been researching them for the last couple months for a class project.

Multitasking isn't a problem right now and it will be available with the next os (or right now if you want to jailbreak it). As for flash, I couldn't be bothered with it. I play about 1 flash game every 6 months (I think the last one was the mario bros with all the other nes game characters in it), and the iPad handles youtube just fine, so other than that I have no use for flash.

I've still got to get plants vs zombies hd though. I love that game.

5. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    I've had one for a couple weeks and love it. Actually, I am browsing / posting with it right now. I got it as a replacement for most of my RPG books -cost and space saving measure. It is a fantastic investment (and I'm not really an Apple guy).

6. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's a cool idea actually.

Are you using it for pdf files for the books?

7. Gen. Magnus

Gen. Magnus Everything is Awesome

News Credits:
    Yes, I have PDFs of all of my books now. I use iannotate for my PDF reader since I can mark the files up all I need to.

8. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Got an Ipad today as my uncle who brought one back from the US decided he didn't want it and passed it along my way as a birthday gift. So far I'm really digging it as I like how it's a halfway between a laptop and an iPod/Iphone which is all I really need on the move as I don't need an Iphone so much as I hardly use phones to begin with.

Only thing I would say they need to do for the second gen is maybe make it wider horizontally to make the touch screen easier to type with (little to cramped for my taste).

But yeah overall pretty nice little piece of tech for those looking for that halfway point between a laptop and the iPhone, though it's definetely not a replacement for current iPhone users.

9. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    So, I'm supposed to get this later today (damn you Fedex showing up when nobody was home yesterday!).

What are the must-have apps that you have come across?

I'm interested in a good comic reader, but want to know what is worth it before plunking down some cash. I thought about just converting my comics to epub format to allow them to work with iBooks... anyone try this with decent success?

10. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pocket Legends, and then add me :) 

Real Racing
    Dungeon Hunter
    Zenonia
    Warpgate (pretty awesome on the Ipad, I hear)

11. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
  12. galvascream

galvascream Apple Junkie

News Credits:
    They're working on the 2nd gen already.

13. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Let me say, I thought the idea was cool but never wanted one until I played around with it the other night. After typing/surfing on it for 3 hours, Dinoking will have to wait, Ipad comes first

14. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I'd be interested in the second generation if it came with a large hard-drive, USB ports, and DVD drive. Oh, and the screen needs to be back-lit better so it can be read in bright sun-light.

15. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I know people like these, but one thing still puzzles me: you can get a laptop computer that will do more for a cheaper price. so why bother with the ipad?

16. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ease of use, the lack of need for everything that a laptop does, portability, great battery life, simple interface for beginners or those scared of computers in general

17. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

An overgrown Itouch.

18. Sokar

Sokar Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    An touch with HD video, a better processor, etc...

Sort of like how the ps3 is like a bigger ps2, or the 360 is like a big xbox :p 

(not being salty, just poking fun)

19. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Its very hard to describe why everyone is sold on it. You really just have to experience the ipad first hand to appreciate the computer.

Go to the apple store with an open mind and play with it. My biggest gripe with the ipad is price and I hope the next generation either comes with more bang for the buck or cheaper altogether. 500 dollars for something with only 16 gb's of memory really turns me off and is probably the only reason why I didn't rush out to buy one the other day.

20. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    This is Apple in a nutshell. I like their stuff a lot but the prices are very high for what you get. On the other hand if their stuff sells at that price point (and it does especially the iPhone) there really is no reason for Apple to adjust their prices.