the insanity- help me feed it.

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by jorod74, Mar 7, 2008.

1. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i just moved into a new place and i didn't like how i was displaying my TFs and other things before, so i had a whacked out notion about certain figures:
    has anyone here ever hung a TF from the ceiling?

i was thinking about hanging Uni and Primus in one corner about 3 feet apart.
    in another corner was wanting to hang Incinerator and Blackout.

i have done this with my 21rst century toys UH-1 Huey, but it was lighter and less bulky/uneven with the weight than these TFs.

so tell me if you think it would work to hang these guys in their alt modes and if ya got suggestions, tell me.

2. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I think it would work, I've been thinking about hanging some Star Wars stuff from my ceiling.

The thing is, you're going to really have to hit a DIY store to do this properly, just putting a nail in the ceiling will probably give way over time. I'd say, find a ceiling joist, drill into it and use a rawlplug to secure it.

Even this might not be secure enough, some figures are very big, (imagine Unicron from the ceiling!) In that case going all out would mean going for a full on chandelier fitting.

http://www.thechandeliercompany.co.uk/shopimages/bondsboltsketch.jpg

This would mean going into the ceiling (or coming down from the floor above), drilling and all kinds of work, but each fitting should only take a few minutes. And once done, you can be sure its secure.

Only one last thing, use decent hanging wire with hooks. String will degenerate over time.

3. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    thanks for that. I had an assumption that Unicron's bulk alone was tooo much for just 20 lb test line and a couple hooks.
    i have seen model shops use metal pipes wrapped in foam insulation to hang their larger R/C planes, but was hoping for something that didn't cover up a lot of real estate on the figure.

4. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

I have done it using thread and thumbtaks, if u use enough thumbtaks and diffrent strings to distrubute the weight u can hold up pretty much any transformer. it might be hard gettin them up the first time but once there up there it holds nicly. i had pretty much all my flyers hanging from the cealing in my old room. It looks nice cuse the white thread was almost invisable.

5. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

You can forget about hanging Unicron and Primus. Unless you plan on using fishing strings fisherman use when fishing for marlins or swordfish.

6. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

I held up primus with 4 threads and thumb tacks.

7. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I've never hung a TF from the ceiling but I have (one of the many re-issue) '82 Snake Eyes up there

8. Razorclaw

Razorclaw Are ya gonna draw pistols

And you know what happens when next time a lighting bolt strikes near your home, or there is a small earthquake??

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Just make sure the String is strong.

10. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

If you're going to hang things from a ceiling, you'll need a stud finder, heavy-duty hooks, and strong wire. The twisties that Transformers are packed with can actually be useful for this purpose.

I've never hung anything from a ceiling myself, but I have put eyehooks into the undersides of shelves or used 3M Command adhesive hooks with simple picture-hanging wire to hang small jet TFs and Marvel figures.

11. jorod74

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    i got some 17 lb. test fishing line (by the way, spiderwire works great with models and lighter toys) and i have hooks that i can screw into studs or joists and want to make sure they don't have much room to swing.

the problems i have with fishing line is that i can't see the damn stuff to tie it off and second, it is hard tp set up a
    "trapeze" or string cradle that will hold say primus or Unicron level.

and i need to make room on my shelves for other things, that's why i thought about hanging the planets anyway.