The IMDb Principle

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gojira Prime, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

I have this belief, and I don't think it's much of stretch to say it has enough evidence for it to be a theory. My theory is that every movie ever made is somebody's favorite movie. Think of the worst movie you've ever seen. Ever. I guarantee you, there is someone out there, right now, who loves that movie. Who cherishes it daily. It doesn't matter how bad it is. Battlefeild Earth? That's someone's favorite movie. Ishtar? That's someone else's favorite movie. Batman & Robin? That's someone else else's favorite movie. That's how the thoery works.

I want you, my fellow TFW posters, to give me examples of this theory that you've seen/heard/know of. I need support for my theory. Heck, let's start a sub-community among film buffs. A group of people who support The IMDb Principle.

2. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The fact that there are so many Revenge of the Fallen fans is enough...:D . But do forgive me, just poking fun. I enjoyed the movie too.

I believe this is true, and there are no objectively and absolutely bad movies.

3. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Case in point; I love Fifth Element :p 

4. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    I love ROTF. There ya go.

5. Belgrath

Belgrath Boom! Nutshot!

I <3 Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery. And Spaceballs. End of story.

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

No, not really no. Fifth Element has quite the fan base. Now if you said that you loved Spice World or Oblivion, that is a case in point. I do love Oblivion btw.

Though I don't really understand why this is called the IMDB principle? More like it should be called, "Anyone with half-a-brain and some common sense should realize every movie has a fan somewhere" principle. We didn't/shouldn't need some website to tell us this.

7. Xaedrahk

Xaedrahk Prime-otions!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    *shrug* Depends on where you live, too. Fifth Element gets facepalm when mentioned around here.

8. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

THIS! My two favorite comedy franchises. I must have watched Spaceballs 5 times in a row last month when I was sick :lol 

9. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Well glad I don't live in "Convoycation." I don't think that I've ever met a person IRL that doesn't like the movie. If I did, I might have just have to slap them.

Of course, I'm heavily biased. I saw the movie 6 times when I was in high school.

10. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

I love the American Godzilla.

11. Rewind

Rewind Be Kind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Caveman with Ringo Star has been my favorite movie since I was a kid and is the film I've seen the most times. I'm not a Ringo Star fan nor am I a 'prehistoric adventure' fan. There really is no logic to it that I can think of. It's for reasons like this that I've always believed it's silly for people to argue over any movie being absolutely good or bad. There are no absolutes.

12. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    people love twilight, and we know how bad that is

13. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    can't we call it the "it takes all kinds" principle?

I mean, i admit i like "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" and the 2 Dolemite films.
    (they're just extra cheesy fun, not like Shakespearean drama)

and somebody out there just has to love those Leprechaun movies or Hercules in New York, right?

14. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

I think "IMDb Principle" is catchier, but call it what you wish. You know the whole thing about an asteroid wiping out the dinosaurs? Officially, it's known as "The KT Event." However, most people would call it "The Asteroid Theory" and more commonly (and incorrectly) "The Metor Theory." For all I care you could call it "Americ*nts Syndrome." (But for the sake of not being a jackass, please don't)

But I'm glad to see the Principle being applied. Although I'm really looking for number one favorites that are really out of the norm. Like if someone said that The Land Before Time III was thier favorite movie of all time.

15. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Hey!Land Before Time III is one of my favorite movies,not joking either.

16. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

Not saying it's bad, not at all. But it's fairly obscure/not well liked. And that's what I'm looking for.

17. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    It's a nice idea, but I don't think it's true. There's horrible movies that lots of people like. There's bad movies that are still fun. But then there's the other kind of bad film. The kind that are utterly boring, inartistic, borderline unwatchable and nothing really happens. I've seen a few films that had literally nothing going for them.

Some excellent stop-motion in that film, and the puppet designs are fantastic.

18. Overhaulimus

Overhaulimus Sword of Fury!

News Credits:
    Two of my other favorites,which some might consider out in left field is "Jason and the Argonaughts" and "Clash of the Titans".

Love those movies,really need to watch them again thanks to God of War Collection.

19. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    My missus hates the movie. Try and slap her, I dare you :D 

20. Erector

Erector I ruined the Hall of Fame

News Credits:
    Hercules in New York is amazing.

Purely for the scene where Arnie wrestles a man dressed as a bear in Central Park :lolol