The "I'm so glad I'm not a geewunner" thread...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by LatinJEM777, May 23, 2008.

1. LatinJEM777

LatinJEM777 TFW's Premier Shredder

Don't get me wrong, this is no bash on the people who collect G1 toys primarily, more power to you! :)  I LOVE G1 (more so the cartoon than the toys), but I just find it silly when some people totally bash the hell out of a good toy design just because it doesn't look or function 100% like the G1 cartoon. Get over it. 1984 is 24 years ago. At least Hasbro/Takara Tomy IS making a Classics/Universe 2.0/Henkei toyline. They could have just said screw you and only focus on Animated (which I LOVE as well) and Movie toys. Anybody else agrees on this?

I'll always enjoy reading a good positive, constructive criticism of a toy though, such as if a TF has excessive kibble, or goofy legs (Cybertron Soundwave anyone?) and what COULD have been done, as long as it isn't b*tching.

2. wipeyourfeet

wipeyourfeet Winner of the Internet

News Credits:
    Yes, I agree. Why must some people dwell in the past? Its all part of the past now. Kids today would be less than impressed if Hasbro was releasing inarticulate bricks that looked nothing like what they did in the cartoon. Technology has moved on and allowed toy companies to make their products more articulate and realistic.
    People complain that Animated looks different and like Ben 10, but thats what this generation likes. It wasn't designed for old fans. Animated has given us G1 fan wanks that it quite frankly didn't need to, but it was nice that they did as it was for the older fans. Transformers has to be dynamic if it wants to survive. The real question is to these GeeWunners, what would you rather have, Transformers that were different to the ones you had when you were a child, or no Transformers at all? I know what i'd choose, any day.

3. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    :rolleyes2 

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I don't like G1 as a whole (remembers the original movie, Victory, Headmasters cartoon, Masterforce...) but I do like certain aspects of it and I like some of the early toys from Season 1 & 2.

But seriously, I see some people's posts and honestly think "Jeez, dude. get over yourself." Just because I like BW, TF:TM 07 and Animated somehow makes me lesser than them. I've been called a tool, idiot, sheep (my favourite) and tasteless. Remember, these are people using these words about what TOYS I like. TOYS. There has to be somewhere where you draw the line. I'm not saying I haven't said the odd snarky comment, everyone here has, but these "Geewunners" (not to be confused with "people who like G1") go overboard sometimes.

But it's my fault, really, I keep forgetting you're not allowed to like Transformers.;) 

5. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    Heheheh, I just like watching rabid people on here argue endlessly about stuff that doesn't really matter, and justifying their thoughts in very long winded and ad-nauseum ways.

I couldn't care less whether someone likes something or not, that's their thing. And my opinion shouldn't cause anyone else concern either.

Let's all just get along, man

</hippy>

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Eh, maybe you're right. Besides, there's no use discussing it since there's really nothing productive that can come from it anyway.

This I don't get.

7. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

I'm a resonable geewunner, I hope. :eek:  I remember the old show. Had a few, ansd still have a few toys. I also remember being bummed when Ultra Magnus couldn't do anything that this cartoon version could.

I mean 2008/09 is going to be a year of fanwankery. Between 25th ann/universe putting out new version of G1 characters. Animated putting out more homages per sqaure metre than all of A/E/C combined. We adult TF fans got a shit load of stuff coming. We will litterally be spoiling for choice. And that's leaving aside Takara putting out Henkei and Encores. People will still complain though, human nature you see. But most of it's going to be "I wish I like that more.":rock 

8. nkelsch

nkelsch Do you know this Icon? TFW2005 Supporter

I like Scooby Doo even though it was poorly-animated, mind-numbing schlock full of errors and crappy stories.

And Scooby Doo went through loads of re-treads. Some good, Most bad.

It is possible to enjoy the old and the new at the same time. Even if they are different and conflicting.

But there are those types of fans who like single-universe, who can't accept flaws in continuity and want only further development of a single universe opposed to retreads. Star Wars is the prime example of this. Anything that is not part of or in synch with the original universe is by default trash and unacceptable. This is how I feel about Batman TAS vs The batman.

9. LatinJEM777

LatinJEM777 TFW's Premier Shredder

10. ANDROID PRIME

ANDROID PRIME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    g1 is like the old testament. no matter how old or outdated it gets it will still be around, and everything that is yet to come will be judged by it.

11. Powersa

Powersa Car Robots

News Credits:
    this.

12. hotspot_2001

hotspot_2001 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I am a fan of transformers in general, but G1 will always be my favorite just because it was the first and it's what I had as a kid. Nothing that comes out new can compare to those memories. That being said, it doesn't stop me from collecting all of the new stuff too and enjoying the advancements in articulation that have come along which make the new figures very fun. Though, I still don't think anything can compare to looking at all my G1 combiners lined up.

I try to look at each series and line of toys as separate entities. As long as they don't try to go back and redo the G1 series and make the storyline completely different or something I'm all for new and different takes on the transformers world.

13. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Let's just say I love G1 and all but I'm not "In Love" with it.

14. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I understand the sentiment. G1 is and always will be my favorite generation of Transformers, but looking back at the toys and cartoon IMO it's only a GOOD thing things have changed. People are entitled to their own opinion, but I find it totally irritating when someone constantly declares their hate for something JUST because 'it's not G1', 'G1 didn't do it that way' or 'Such and such character should/shouldn't be called such and such G1 name because the do/ don't look a certain way'.

15. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    I love G1, it is my childhood so to say but I enjoy watching the new shows to and like the toys and stuff from them. I just cant collect everything unless you live in a mansion and sadely I dont. I really like animated and will get stuff from that show and if it was one other show I would want the toys from it would be RID...

16. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Whether fair or not that seems to be the case. Though, I feel this too shall pass as us "old timers" begin to fade and the newer generation takes the helm. I'm speaking specifically about those that grew up watching Beast Wars, Beast Machine, and RiD.

While I think that most G1-ers hold BW in very high regard, we still tend to fall back to G1. While there's no arguing that Animated can stand on it's own as a great show, it's the G1 nods that make it amazing. The same goes for Beast Wars. You couldn't help but get giddy watching all three parts of "The Agenda".

17. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Every line brings something to Transformers. Obviously some lines give more than others, example of say Robots in Disguise giving more than Machine Wars. Even Animated, which is 95% pure failure, gives us a new level of Cartoon accuracy (however ugly the line art may be - and we're talking spastic ugly here - at least it follows it).

Same with G1. Good for being able to look back and see how far we've come, good for inspiring homages, but not the be all and end all of Transformers.

18. Moroni Prime

Moroni Prime #TFYLP Podcast

News Credits:
    I have to say that I'm glad I'm a G1 FAN, and not a GEEWUNNER. To me, Generation One will always be the best line, but that comes from pure bias, as that's the line I grew up with, however that does not by any means imply that it has not been outdone. Beast Wars had superb writing and some of the greatest advances away from the G1 asthetic. Sadly it also had some of the ugliest toys (Injector, I'm looking at you!). Beast Machines, I thought was a neat way to blend both, unfortunately though, where Beast wars had SOME of the ugliest toys, Beast MACHINES had all the rest of them.

Thus dies the G1 universe.....

Robots in disguise. Now there was a line that wasn't given much of a chance, and could've went on fan longer than it did. Some of the most beautiful toys put out at that point. Omega Prime and Prowl, just to name a few. Unfortunately, it too was not without an ugly toy or three (glares at the mangled-piece-of-purple-crap-that-goes-from-6-to-10-modes-with-no-remolding-of-any-kind ). However, as the Children of the 80's became adults, this was a nice way to reminisce with such figures as the spychangers, brutication, and maximus (wish hasbro had been able to do that one big time). But alas, RiD was cut short for the next generation of Transformers...

Transformers Armada. Well, if you remember in the Princess Bride, when Westley (aka The Dread Pirate Roberts) was willing to fight "to the pain" instead of to the death? Well, that's pretty much Armada. With such things as "Kids, Powerlink with the sword". What a gem that was. Or Optimus Prime calling himself Convoy during some of the combining sequences, and calling Overload "Ultra Magnus" (even though we saw that later). And what was with Poor Megatrons minicon Leader-1? talk about an identity crisis. Half of the minicons in the entire show were called Leader-1, the other half was split between Highwire, Jolt, and a few others. And then there was Energon.....

Transformers Energon was full of good and bad alike. Unfortunately, alot of the good was also bad too. Where to begin? Horrible 'Cut & Paste' animation that defies the laws of physics (looking your way Ironhide). And Prime, while a fantastic figure and all, could've easily been designed in such a way as to not emphasize the wheel wells from the truck mode. While I can tell what sort of design they were going for, by having the wells the same color as his lower torso just made things blend together and gave the appearance of 'fatimus' even though when you look at him, you can see by the contours where the torso ends and the wheel wells begin. The 1-4 drones? well, to be honest, I would rather have done without them, given him a different trailer, or none at all, and then when Wing Saber came around, just have prime combine with him for a super mode right then. And as much as I love the Omega Supreme figure, his mode with Prime is made of childrens tears and shattered dreams of what might have been. The Storyline for the series was a joke, even though it was good to see old characters, designs, and names again, the scenarios were just not all that pleasant. I had to cringe every time Prime borrowed a move from Apache Chief. OH, and not to forget the cons with their yodeling, they're grunting and screaming, their skiiiiiiiiiiiing, and their inability to combine at all. If it wasn't for the Energon combiners toward then end, I think the whole series would've been worse off. Although, I would've liked for them to have not made the limbs into drones, and to have developed them more as individuals instead of having the torso and the combiner be the SAME GUY. More limb molds would've been nice too, but what can I say? they DID give us three combiners in a 13 episode arc. That's a lot of work.

Ahhh, Cybertron. All of them are looking for keys that don't look anything at all like keys, and all the while they're all using keys anyway. And a gigantic starscream? wtf?! Don't get me wrong I can understand the desire to make a nice supreme figure and the crown was a nice touch too, but they could've also given us one at normal size too (TRU repaint doesn't count). Overall cybertron wasn't TOO bad, but then the line comes to the end, and they throw any and all figures they can come up with in. not only do we have optimus prime, but we have GF optimus prime, beast wars optimus PRIME, Armada bendy optimus prime, etc, etc, etc....

Now Transformers (Classics Series), that was a fantastic line (except for devastator, he was a joke). But overall, I'm ecstatic, yes, ECSTATIC that the line is continuing (but more on that later). Aside from the botcon seeker complication (haha, you'll never own these). Otherwise I felt the line went quite well. I would've liked to have seen magnus more than just a prime repaint, but it was nice nonetheless. Not to mention we got some l33t mincons out of that series as well.

Then comes the movie. Now this is not "The Transformers: The Movie". That came out in 1986. This is "Transformers: A Michael Bay Film". Seriously, watch the trailers, you'll see it too. The designs, details, mechanics, licensed brand vehicles, just everything about this film = love...... everything except......

They totally took a crap on Jazz. For years he was Optimus Prime's "Right Hand Man", a role that has since went to Prowl (as seen in universe 2.0). He gets less than 5 minutes of dialog for the whole film, and gets ripped in half like so much lumber, wtf?! I have to say, it was nice that he got so many toys though. I mean there's Jazz, Premium Jazz, Final Battle Jazz (which isn't movie accurate unless you tap out a metal pin in the waist), and. Also, the decepticons were treated more like random monsters than they were serious military warriors. If subtitles weren't there I would almost believe they didn't know how to talk. And as for Brawl/Devastator, well, that was just unfortunate that it occurred. Oh, and Protoform Starscream, there aren't enough flaming turd jokes, there just aren't. I mean he's a brown lump with parts that resemble corn or other nondigested food, and it's on fire.

And now we get to the Present time. We're on the verge of getting toys for animated, and universe 2.0. Not to mention TF 25th anniversary is just around the bend. Animated has some of the best stories and characters I've seen, well, ever. The designs take a little getting used to, but they're alright. This is truly a great time to be a fan.

19. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    Why?

20. wipeyourfeet

wipeyourfeet Winner of the Internet

News Credits:
    Cause its an exclusive, not wide release, so it would be hard for some people to get a hold off.