The "I'm losing my job!" thread.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kickback, Jan 6, 2009.

1. optimusprime42

optimusprime42 Autobot Leader

News Credits:
    i was told at northgate the same or til everything is gone

2. Optimus Kharnal

Optimus Kharnal Well-Known Member

Its been a rough year for most people that's for sure. Everyone who's still unemployed and looking, my thoughts and prayers go out to all of you. I have one of those thankfully good luck stories from getting laid off. I worked for Countrywide homeloans for 2 years as a funder in a wholsale branch and they had already laid off half the branch in October of 07 when in the first week of last May we came into work and they laid off the rest of us. We all knew it was coming with Bank of America buying CW up but we thought it might last another month. It was one week before my wedding, and I was lucky we had already paid for everything for the wedding so we didn't owe anybody any money. Plus it gave me a week go get prepare for the wedding with no worries about a time crunch. About a month after I got laid off I got a better job with more pay than I was making before with a local Credit Union as a Real Estate Loan officer/Underwriter, the CU is very stable, and I'm the only one in my position so I feel very lucky in this economy b/c people with Mortgage backgrounds are really hurting. If you have any financial experience or computer networking, check with local Credit Unions for job opportunities. some may even be experiencing a lot growth as some people move their money from the now "riskier" big banks. Most Credit Unions invest in less risky ventures are more stable and stronger in this economy. so keep an eye out for their openings.

3. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I work as a baker for a cafe. We need to make 650 pounds a day to stay above water, and at the moment we're taking in about 500. My boss has been laying off people in an attempt to cut costs, but by the sounds of it it appears to be too little, too late. Ah well, it's been fun.

4. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm glad that I work for the state for the time being, well at least in a department that isn't laying off people. But our Governator wants to take away 2 of our vacation holidays (which I'm fine with) and also 10% (2 days worth) of our pay each month (which everyone is not cool with). There are other stuff that he wants to take away which isn't a big deal, its just the 2 furlough days that everyone is pissed with. All this just to help fix our state deficit. I swear, the ******s that voted him in should get their pay cut for loyalty!!

5. FuRiOus_StyLZe

FuRiOus_StyLZe Hasbro can suck my nuts..

Thanks for the tip, man... I'm actually in the same boat. getting married next month. Been with big banks the past 10 years in a varienty of different roles, most recently as a portfolio manager. Was making a pretty nice salary but that's probably why I was one of the first to go. I tell ya, I use to have banks knocking on my door but now I can't even get an interview for a lower management/branch staff position. I've recently applied with some local credit unions so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. If I don't find something soon, I'm gonna end up mugging people in the street. Just kidding...hehe

6. bsutton1

bsutton1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I just got a job today. It's a long term temp job at a pharmaceutical company. I'm just glad to be working again and getting a paycheck.

7. Soundwave84

Soundwave84 Banned

News Credits:
    what you going to do kicky?

8. Kando

Kando Well-Known Member

And my job is gone in one week.

Hmm.

9. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

Been looking since November. Company closed after I'de been there 10 years. Applied about 12 or so places since Nov. and haven't heard sqaut. Really thinking about going back to school if I can scrape together the cash.

10. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I hope the best for you guys. This economy thing sucks man

11. Lupis Convoy

Lupis Convoy Paw Prince Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    got let go from my new job.. which is not a bad thing per-se. When you walk in on your boss talking about.... interspecies things.... and you CO insulting you to your face and publicly crucifying you. Not a good place o work. Not even a "We don't need you anymore," or a "please get your belongings" just a voicemail message left by your staffing firm not to go back, and not to look back.

On to greener and more.. business formal employment opportunities. One that pay decently too.

12. Reeds

Reeds Q-Wing Pilot TFW2005 Supporter

@ Drake, you should think about Community College. State usually pays for it. (TAP grant and FAFSA) Did for me, and I got a check back for the excess in the end of each semester and two years of it earned me an academic scholarship to a 4-year private college I never could have afforded otherwise.

@ Lupis Convoy, dude, that sounds like a blessing-in-disguise.

My favorite pizza place seems to be doing bad too. I went in last weekend and it was empty and the owner (new owner as of 7 months ago who spent alot fixing the place up) was screaming even more than usual at his skeleton crew about how he lowered something to $5 and it still isn't selling, as we walked in. Got real uncomfortable. Started throwing boxes around as we left.

13. Johnator

Johnator 'Til All Are Gone!

Lost my job last week. This really sucks. Luckily I have a few phone calls and interviews in the works. Man it is horrible right now.

14. TreKain

TreKain All Will Be Well TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Well...I didnt lose my job today, but my department was cut from 5 people to 3 today. They let go the 2 old ladies that I work with (both are 62+) and been with the company 19 years.

We are in the magazine publishing biz and the industry as a whole is going down the tubes. The industry as a whole has probably no more than 10 years of life left to it. While I feel incredibly bad for the 2 grandmothers that were let go (they weren't quite ready to retire, but what are their chances of finding a job now) I have to look at the fact that it could be much worse and the whole company could be gone. And if the cutbacks my company has made (probably 20-30 people over the last 3 months) dont manage to keep us afloat I will definitely be out of a job

15. Zero Prime

Zero Prime Windows user no more

After reading this thread I am so glad I have the job I have. As the economy worsens the more business we get. Of course I'm a corporal at a jail, but that's besides the point.

16. kbroz

kbroz Well-Known Member

As my earlier thread said, I have my master's degree and I am having trouble finding a job... Ugh.

But as I am familiar with being broke and not knowing where money is coming from I wanted to post some websites for everyone to check out that are in need...

Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed <--they are a search engine for job sites, so you can just go there to search monster/careerbuilder/hot jobs

Find Jobs. Build a Better Career. Find Your Calling. | Monster.com

CareerBuilder.com Jobs - The Largest Job Search, Employment & Careers Site

Jobs.com - Global job search. Local careers.

hotjobs.yahoo.com

USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site <--these are government jobs

craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums <--if you haven't used this, do... it's a free local classified ad website in the US, maybe Canada too...

careercenter.nrpa.org <--this is a website for the national park service

Sustainable Business, Green Business, Renewable Energy, Organic & Green Investing, Green Capital <--they have a 'green jobs' section

Find Jobs & Employment | Full & Part Time Job Search | SnagAJob.com <--never used this, but I know it exists. I think it's hourly (no salary)

www.theladdders.com <--for all those lucky SOBS who should make more than $100k

I hope this helps someone find a new resource!

Also: most colleges and universities have career fairs... call them and find out!

17. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I lost my job today and I feel fucking great about it. I'm ready for a fresh start.

18. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I've had a contract job doing product demos and sales since October. I was told before being hired that it was year-round, and then 3 months later I learn the truth that the CEO of the company had only optimistic hopes that the local market would last 6-8 months.

But in hindsight, I shouldn't have taken the job to begin with since it was commission-only and I didn't even get reimbursed for travel. Some days I was spending more time in my car driving to store locations than I was actually on the job, and my sales barely covered my gas expenses.

Anyway, so the market died before Christmas even arrived, and if it weren't for a job helping a friend open a new diner (for barely more than min wage), I wouldn't have any income coming in right now.

Have some interviews lined up later this week, and some potential performance gigs, but this is like the 4th or 5th time since 2005 that I've had to start over again thanks to a job not working out. Two employers have filed for bankruptcy on me since 2007, and one of them still owes me over $3K.

I'm blessed to have a wife who's been a support and an encouragement in spite of our financial difficulties. And I'm thankful we didn't have any kids yet, or we'd have really been screwed.

Here's hoping/praying for better, consistent, and hopefully long-term employment soon.

19. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

unless i can find another position in the other factories, i'll be losing mines come end of the year...:( 

20. misternoodle

misternoodle Banned

damn american dudes. the economy is fucking you guys in the ass. my sincere condolences. heres some lube, buddy.