The IG Nobel Prize

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Boardwise, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I was watching 'Have I Got News For You' (News Comedy show here in the UK) tonight and they had something come up that I just had to find and share.

The IG Nobel Prize.

And with that, I bring you a list of this years winners (or losers depends on how you look at it)

ORNITHOLOGY: Ivan R. Schwab, of the University of California Davis, and the late Philip R.A. May of the University of California Los Angeles, for exploring and explaining why woodpeckers don't get headaches.

NUTRITION: Wasmia Al-Houty of Kuwait University and Faten Al-Mussalam of the Kuwait Environment Public Authority, for showing that dung beetles are finicky eaters.

PEACE: Howard Stapleton of Merthyr Tydfil, Wales, for inventing an electromechanical teenager repellant -- a device that makes annoying noise designed to be audible to teenagers but not to adults; and for later using that same technology to make telephone ringtones that are audible to teenagers but not to their teachers.

ACOUSTICS: D. Lynn Halpern (of Harvard Vanguard Medical Associates, and Brandeis University, and Northwestern University), Randolph Blake (of Vanderbilt University and Northwestern University) and James Hillenbrand (of Western Michigan University and Northwestern University) for conducting experiments to learn why people dislike the sound of fingernails scraping on a blackboard.

MATHEMATICS: Nic Svenson and Piers Barnes of the Australian Commonwealth Scientific and Research Organization, for calculating the number of photographs you must take to (almost) ensure that nobody in a group photo will have their eyes closed

LITERATURE: Daniel Oppenheimer of Princeton University for his report "Consequences of Erudite Vernacular Utilized Irrespective of Necessity: Problems with Using Long Words Needlessly."

PHYSICS: Basile Audoly and Sebastien Neukirch of the Université Pierre et Marie Curie, in Paris, for their insights into why, when you bend dry spaghetti, it often breaks into more than two pieces.

CHEMISTRY: Antonio Mulet, José Javier Benedito and José Bon of the University of Valencia, Spain, and Carmen Rosselló of the University of Illes Balears, in Palma de Mallorca, Spain, for their study "Ultrasonic Velocity in Cheddar Cheese as Affected by Temperature."

BIOLOGY: Bart Knols (of Wageningen Agricultural University, in Wageningen, the Netherlands; and of the National Institute for Medical Research, in Ifakara Centre, Tanzania, and of the International Atomic Energy Agency, in Vienna Austria) and Ruurd de Jong (of Wageningen Agricultural University and of Santa Maria degli Angeli, Italy) for showing that the female malaria mosquito Anopheles gambiae is attracted equally to the smell of limburger cheese and to the smell of human feet.

And quite possibly the weirdest one (aside form the Ultrasonic Velocity in Cheddar Cheese)

MEDICINE: Francis M. Fesmire of the University of Tennessee College of Medicine, for his medical case report "Termination of Intractable Hiccups with Digital Rectal Massage"; and Majed Odeh, Harry Bassan, and Arie Oliven of Bnai Zion Medical Center, Haifa, Israel, for their subsequent medical case report also titled "Termination of Intractable Hiccups with Digital Rectal Massage."

The Ig Nobel Prize
    The above link has more links to the research papers.

2. Blackstar

Blackstar Aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! TFW2005 Supporter

Y'know....I hate hiccups....but i would rather not have a "digital rectal massage" in order to clear them up.

But I bet it would.

3. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It apparently cleared them up in 30 second.

4. Blackstar

Blackstar Aaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! TFW2005 Supporter

How do you know? Wait.....

You READ the report, didn't you?!!!!

5. Boardwise

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, that actually pointed that out in the show.

6. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Yeah, because all of a sudden you have 9 other things on your mind.

7. RandomFerret

RandomFerret Fuzzy Forever

News Credits:
    So what exactly is it that you have against the pursuit of knowledge? The whole 'advancing human potential' thing, or the 'pure and honest spirit of discovery' thing?

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I bet a lot of those scientific discoveries were serendipitous; Stapleton may have realized that he was driving one of the labs' interns nuts with a mechanical sound that others weren't being bothered by while performing other audiophonics research. The same could go for a lot of these.

While peripheral and/or not necessarily useful on their own, scientific discoveries like these usually end up having SOME sort of usefulness down the road. If nothing else, they'll make for great plot devices in sci-fi films. :) 

"But, Eugene, I clearly saw those dung beetles practically wharfing up the poop left behind by that dying moose. As science has proven, dung beetles are finicky eaters and only eat the turds of healthy creatures. Clearly, THOSE DUNG BEETLES ARE ROBOT IMPOSTERS FROM PLANET XK-3!"