The IDW Comics

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by sodawilly, Oct 10, 2010.

1. sodawilly

sodawilly Old School fan since 1984 TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    With all of the news just released from the Comicon, I have to ask why IDW doesn't use some more of the better known TF artists for the movie books like they have in the past..... I loved Alex Milne's run on Reign Of Starscream.... I really can't stand the look of Carlos Magno's work...... It's a mess at best.

Any thoughts?

- Gregg

2. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Personally, I don't like Milne's art. Far too many thick black lines often make for an undecipherable mess, plus it seems he can only draw the same face over and over again.

3. Houndvoice

Houndvoice Well-Known Member

For those of us that's not very familiar with the IDW comics; some pics showing each artist would be swell! :thumbs2: 

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    On the other hand, I might ask why you would even be interested in such a discussion if you're not familiar with the comics?

5. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Because there's no prerequisites for interest in discussion on this public discussion board?

I, like the OP, also prefer the work of Milne to Magno. To me Magno's style just looks like a smudged Milne with greater tendencies towards recycling control art. As to why certain artists get work and others don't, it could be a matter of the time they take to draw, or the amount of other art they're doing at that moment, and cost probably factors into it to a considerable degree. I don't know what the details are in this case, though. I guess if you prefer certain artists to others, do what you're doing now: applaud the work of the ones you like and say you'd prefer someone else for the artists you're not too fond of.

6. UltraMagnus3786

UltraMagnus3786 That's what it is

I don't think we can post scans. I think tfwiki might have some stuff though.

I don't like Magno's art either and much prefer Milne. I don't even think a good colorist can save his art.

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Based on the August 2010 sales charts, the Movie tie-ins don't sell anywhere close to the main continuity line; the most recent issue of the Ongoing sold 11,951 copies, the Ironhide mini sold 8,013 copies and Nefarious sold only 6,700 copies. Just speculation, but maybe IDW figures that it's not worth paying the better-known TF artists (who might command higher rates) to do tie-ins that aren't going to sell very well anyway, relative to the main title.