The "I hope i never get that bad" thread

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Grimlock22, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

So I just basically finished an episode of "Collection Intervention" and their was a guy just obsessed with catwon and then I started thinking "man I hope I never get that bad with Grimlock" so what charicter do you hope you never get to the point you don't even know what your buying

2. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 I'm actually 16.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Perceptor.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

Dude, I'm sure he isn't obsessed with catwoman, those kind of shows purposefully edit material to make it LOOK like these people are obsessive freaks that you would want to stay away from.

4. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Yup. You could be a 150 pound man eating at McDonald's and these shows could paint you as a dangerously unhealthy fast food addict.

5. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 Some sort of artist

So having entire garage filled with catwon related stuff isn't obssessed

6. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    Nope. He's a collector. He's not some deranged maniac. He just chooses to fill his garage with Catwoman instead of power tools and beer.

7. Kalel

Kalel C-Mac

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    lulz at this thread

8. Ratchets Hatch

Ratchets Hatch Cannot Hold Weapon

News Credits:
    I don't think that will be a problem. He's had what, 3 toys in the last ten years? :lol 

9. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    The Transformers line from 2000 from 2006.

10. Autobot Burnout

No, it isn't. I've seen some collections here on TFW that could fill a garage and I wouldn't call those users obsessed.

11. Ellamin

Ellamin Heroes protect Freedom! not safety! BAKA!!

News Credits:
    I presume you think it's acceptable to collect such things as children's toys and cartoon books anytime after the age of pubescence?

12. rxlthunder

rxlthunder Banned

News Credits:
    We're on a website dedicated to that.

13. Autobot Burnout

If anything can be learned from Toy Story 2, it's that collecting popular old toys and associated merchandise are worth a SHITLOAD of money.

That, and...

14. LCDR Blindside

LCDR Blindside Banned

News Credits:
    ^ is brony

15. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I like where this thread is going *not bad face*

16. Cyber-Scream

Cyber-Scream Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    lol ikr

17. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I would definitely call it an obsession, but at the same time I don't think obsessions are necessarily a bad thing. An obsession is only a bad thing when it gets in the way of a person's responsibilities (like paying bills, taking care of your children, maintaining a healthy marriage, etc...).

For example, my father is absolutely obsessed with trains. He has a large collection of them and other things that go with them. He intends to one day construct a train table. However, this obsession never once got in the way of his responsibilities. Our family always had a roof over our heads, food to eat, the things we needed, and at times even those we didn't need, but wanted.

As for me, I don't think there's any one particular character or item I collect that, for the time being, I could see myself obsessing about to the point where it takes over and gets in the way of my responsibilities (which I'm sure, is what the OP is really getting at here, at least I hope). I could become rather obsessed with one, but as I've said, that might not be a bad thing. Who knows, becoming obsessed with a character might, for all I know, lead me to the love of my life. Someone who could, theoretically, be equally obsessed with said character.

18. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The Catwoman collector was behind on his mortgage, and other bills too, irrc. He didn't even remember most of the items he had stored away in there, so the point the host was making is if you don't even remember it (or display it, his was in boxes, in the back of his garage, some of them were getting in pretty bad shape..collector wise) then they feel you should sell those items and take care of your bills.

It's hard to watch these folks, I feel the same way...but sooner or later you have to decide just how many of anything you can afford to keep..whether financially or space wise. They're saying you should truly collect only those items that will increase in value or rarity. Not just buy EVERYTHING in a line just because it exists. Be selective with your collectibles...they say.

19. Ellamin

Ellamin Heroes protect Freedom! not safety! BAKA!!

News Credits:
    Yes, we are, but just because I am also unacceptably deviant from the "proper" social norm, I must still realize, around 80% of "normal" people I might meet outside the community of deviated interests (geekdom and those more intelligently intrigued, i.e; nerds) will regard me as a malfunction for such abnormal behaviour, as such, I remain quiet about it to them, and simply state why I might be buying the toys if they so inquire, not presuming it is a "normal, healthy hobby" like hunting, or sports.

on the financial gain, that really depends on the item, how genuine it is, how much the buyer wants it, how well it is done if customized, and how "minty fresh" or rare it is, collecting can be a large waste of money if done solely for monetary gain.

I like the show, and some of the art, like with rescue bots.

the fandom, however, at large, is a pestilence that is best avoided and is not worth bothering with. However, an individual may not be some sort of hairy, unhygienic, blubbering landwhale obsessed with cartoon, hyper-anthropomorphized, deformed mythic species of talking creatures, and as such, can prove their own unique worthiness of being noticed, or even being interacted with.

20. Tyrant

Tyrant Zombie

^ This. Anything taken to an extreme to the point that a normal life isn't possible in a negative way obviously isn't good.

Also, this show is edited for dramatic impact so one should wonder just how truly damaging these collections actually are. My concern is that any mouth breather watching it will start equating obsessed collectors with hoarders (I doubt the show would exist without the success of Hoarders, in fact) and the two could not be more different from each other.