The "I can see you head" thread.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Taker, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

Though not as evident as Energon Ironhide, some figures on the recent Cybertron line had their heads visible in alt mode.

Just to mention some:

- Prime
    - Red Alert (cannonball)
    - Starscream
    - Breakdown
    - Override
    - Unicron

I may've forgotten some, but you'll mention them later, I'm sure.

My first impression was "this designers are going lazy, why didn't they manage to hide these heads properly?". However, I notticed that most of this "I can see your head" alt modes were based on vehicles that didn't belog to the Earth, so there was no need to be robots in disguise. Of course Prime and Red Alert don't belong to this group :p 

I think that this head concept, though first annoying, it has its appeal.

What do you think? Which were your first impression with these heads popping out on alt mode?

2. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

We were talking about this today with Classics Devestator. The 2 appendages that are the same you can clearly see their heads. We say they are the "obese" or "deformed" TF's and the other guys make fun of them.

3. drsyn

drsyn Classics Big member

Tha Guv'nah, Classics Ramjet don't 'ide 'is Chevy Chase. But den again e does enjoy a beautiful country side.

cor-blimey

Or something to that extent.

4. Death333

Death333 Otherwise known as Dx3

News Credits:
    Cybertron Jetfire comes to mind.....Earth planet or not I really hate the fact that many heads are plainly visible. It takes all the fun out of figuring out the puzzle.

5. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

It annoys me when they're supposed to be robots in disguise, but I love the visible heads on the BM Vehicons.

6. Rumble02

Rumble02 Radicon of Obliticons

energon overload was not hid very well, energon snowcat comes to mind

7. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Armada Megs, he was looking down at the ground, but it still looked bad, still, they did put in the face shield to cover it.

RiD X-Brawn, look through the window, bam, theres the head.

Energon Inferno + Prowl, its just there isnt it, though at least Prowl hid it with the exhausts.

8. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Don't know if it was laziness or not, but I do like for as much of the bot mode as possible to be concealed in alt mode.

9. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I wonder if, with some of the designs, it's just one of those 11th-hour "Daaamn, we're just going to have to go with the design as-is" decisions. I mean, there are quite a few "I can see your head" Transformers out there that, with maybe one-two more weeks of conceptual work or retooling, could easily have their heads camoflaged.

I mean, I wouldn't call that stuff laziness per se; some designs get the attention and love of a designer & mold-maker, some...just don't.

10. Locke

Locke Team Vanguard

News Credits:
    CD Scattorshot is another victim of this; the one major flaw on an otherwise great toy. It seems like it would have been obvious to mold some sort of shield onto the swivel to hide the head, but I don't have a full appreciation of the contraints the designers are under, so I'll accept it as is.

11. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

I love the way that they design Cybertron Landmine, the way it has its head hidden is smart.

I look at that Energon Ironhide...wasn't any way of hiding the face? At least a sliding panel could've been useful.

12. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I still hold to the belief that they created Headmasters to avoid dealing with this problem...

13. Taker

Taker Chilean TF Fan

:lolol  to that

14. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the top of the helmet moved on E. Ironhide to cover up the face a little. Similar could be said for Armada Megatron.

Some of the more entertaining examples come from Beast Wars & Beast Machines, and the use of the 'butthead', in which the robot head ended up around the rear end of the beast mode. Examples include:
    BW Stinkbomb
    BM Quickstrike
    BM Rattrap
    Energon Divebomb

BW 10th Optimus Primal (this one's a reversal, as the beast face snugs up against the robot mode's rear)

Non-beast examples: BM Jetstorm, Energon Slugslinger/TFCC Airazor

15. General Tekno

General Tekno Self-Styled #1 Lugnut Fan

News Credits:
    Hey - what about TM II Megatron?

His head is on his tail. You can see it clear as day if he's posed correctly.

16. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    G1 Kickback

:( 

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I didn't really think the Cybertron line should be considered as having visible heads like Energon Ironhide.

Ironhide had his whole face visible like Scooter from Gobots.

Cybertron Prime had the very top panel of his head visible in fire truck mode.
    Because we know he is a Transformer, we immediately spot that as his head.

However, if we just saw that fire truck in real life and saw the panel sticking out of the roof we wouldn't go, "That must be a robot and that panel there must be the crest of his helmet!"

Now, with that being said, RID Prime has his Battle Mode head at the base of the ladder. You can face it down, but it is in plain sight.

18. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Wasn't Overload's head part of the Mini-Con Roll Out, and it was facing down, so it looked to be the top of his vehicle mode.

Same goes for Cybertron Jetfire, it looked like part of the techno greebles on the fuselage.

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i wouldnt be surprised actually. theyve got deadlines too, just like other ppl. its not art you know.

there is also the factor of logistic guys coming back to the designers with the 'you got too many joints here fellas' and having to cut them down to fit the cost.

one thing to note is the probable practise - as has been done with SW 3 3/4 figures - of making X figure 'more' by sacrificing features on Y figure. hence you find figures with more paint apps/more number of joints than others.

20. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Hang about... BM Rattrap? I thought his head was under his rump and thus hidden.

Movie Meg's head is exposed in both toys (and the comic, so a good guess would be that it is in the genuine movie as well)