The "I am too f***ing POOR to go to Botcon :( " thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Conventions and Get Togethers' started by Ops_was_a_truck, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    (humbly raises hand)

Ain't got no bills in my pockets, just bills t'ain't paid. Anyone else?

2. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I could probably scrape the money together, but I just don't feel like going this year (or any year, really). The cost isn't worth the trip IMO. For what it would cost I could go somewhere tropical and exciting.

If it ever comes within reasonable driving distance, then I'll probably go. Cutting the costs by not having to buy a plane ticket would improve my interest immensely.

Not having to hang out next to a fax machine possibly for hours at a time would help to. Faxed forms FTL.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    For me, it's a combination of school + small in the pocket/no immediate disposable income + driving distance + trip fees. I might be able to do it once I'm working steadily, but not during the scholastics.

4. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    For me it is the cost of the trip itself, the convention, and the cost of shutting down the office for those days that are prohibiting me at the moment.

5. bigkid24

bigkid24 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Too specialized an event for me to bother. If it was closer to me then I'd consider it. Basically everyone is going to post the news here and I could have bought the toys without going so what's the point of making the trek?

6. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I think it is the booze and the women... well maybe just the booze.

7. Peaugh

Peaugh Hi.

News Credits:
    I'd actually planned on attending this year. Then it ended up being on the same weekend we're moving into our new house!

8. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I am too freaking poor. Now I'm all bitter and angry because of it. :(  Maybe if it was on the west coast I'd be able to save up enough, but oh well. Considering either the cost to drive/fly, registration, and all that extra stuff, it's waaaay too much for me. Perhaps if I win the lottery...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  9. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I can't. I'm still not working due to my knee injury but trying to get another job. Can't remember when Botcon is supposed to be, but I just can't see myself going with getting finances all set.

10. Socialvegetable

Socialvegetable Wrecker

News Credits:
    I haven't been able to land a job since I started the search in August. Until yesterday that is. Unfortunately, I don't start until the end of March, and the boxed sets are long gone anyways. Right now I have clothes at the dry cleaners' I can't even afford to pick up and bills I can't afford to pay, so Botcon is so far out of the question it's not even funny. Maybe next year.

11. Rattrap587

Rattrap587 Maximal Ground Operations

Ebay:
    I´d love to go but don´t have the money for the trip and can´t get rid off my work these Botcon days too...

12. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I'd go for sure if it was closer. I think there's enough of a local fanbase to do something in Philly (it's close enough that I could go for the day, come home, go back, stay for the day, go home, go back for the day, then go home) or the surrounding area...

I was planning on getting the exclusives in a non-attending set, but I wasn't too fond of what they came up with for this year. Maybe some other year.

(Transportation is the biggest problem with me going, followed by hotel)

13. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I pretty much get by on a small retirement paycheck, unlike the rest of my family who take trips every year. I'd have loved to go last year, and this year its in a city I used to love visiting when I was a kid, so I'd have wanted to go this year, too. Oh well, maybe someday.

--Moony

14. Kenny278

Kenny278 Fort Max fan

one day I'll attend a botcon.... but being in UK I'll never do it any time soon... <sob>

15. UltraDevmodious

UltraDevmodious Well-Known Member

Eh...I was going to go this year. I also said that last year. I’ll just end up going to Comic-Con again because it’s only an hour and a half from me. & This year I WILL make sure to pick up all the TF exclusives. Only picked up Rodimus last year because I didn’t care about that Menasor die cast toy. I think I passed on a Grimlock bust too. I never collect busts though. Maybe I should.

I am bummed I missed out on getting this package though...I really dig this years Starscream. And I think that Prime has grown on me too =X

16. Ops_was_a_truck

Ebay:
    The exclusives have never been a big thing to me - if I went to Botcon, it'd be to pick up a few regular things I couldn't find anywhere else (rare G1s, Japanese stuff, etc.) and maybe meet some of the TFW regulars.

17. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

If you want to go just for the experience, then it can basically be a free trip, or you could even make money. Especially if your significant other goes as well. Selling the exclusives will pretty much cover the cost of the Primus package, hotel, gas, and some food. And if you're lucky give you a little extra.

18. Moonstreaker

Moonstreaker The Evil Triplet

Ebay:
    I made hotel reservations even though I was on the fence about going (because of the cost of air fare to Cincy). Then I saw what was coming for this years box set and it solidified my decision. Ridiculous air fare + weak exclusives = no BotCon '08 for MS.

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    you guys are too fucking far for me. can you move the continent closer?

20. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

Sure, I'll gather a fleet of people and we'll tie ropes to the west coast and try to pull North America by boat(s). We'll need lots and lots of boats. Who's with me?