The Hunt

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by thenatureboywoo, May 31, 2009.

1. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    I notice people on here get really geeked up for new releases. They can't wait to hunt down their next purchase. Make plans to meet up with people call stores and find out info. Then maybe a few weeks down the road be all geeked up about the next big thing. In turn then bashing the purchase they made a few weeks ago, wishing they would have never bought it. I myself can say there are only three figures in my 100+ collection I truly wish I never got.

With all that said. I have to ask. Are transformers collectors after the toys or is "the hunt" the most exciting part. The reason I ask this is because I seen a few posts from people saying along the lines of "I see in the future alot of people who are going to be disapointed in their purchases from ROTF after they have had them for a few weeks."

I actually love both aspects. Since I don't hunt and gave up fishing a few years back, hunting for Tf's actually fills that void for me. And me and my son play with our transformers on a daily basis, so no toy goes without love.

2. LXL_Guy

LXL_Guy Well-Known Member

I do enjoy the hunt. Driving about looking to find that one figure you've been wanting. It's a good feeling to find that which you were looking for. I think for me it's all about the thrill of the hunt.

3. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's both for me. In the car ride to a store, I think about what figures the store could possibly have. I mean, it's either the store doesn't have them, the store has them, or the store has some of them but not the ones you're looking for.

But of course the most satisfying part for me is actually getting the toy. If I'm too excited to wait or I don't have to be somewhere, I'll sometimes open them in the car at the parking lot. :) 

4. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The thrill of the hunt. :p 

Yes, it is fun to chase down figures, but when you finally find them, you REALLY feel like you have accomplished something.

5. QmTablit

QmTablit Disguise: Check. Robot...

I try to avoid ordering from BBTS or whatever online store because I enjoy the hunt too much. I wouldn't say it's the best part of being a toy collector, but I find it far more gratifying when I come home with even just one figure found at a store than if I got a case delivered to my door.

6. ArmedonLSD

ArmedonLSD TFW2005 Supporter

I'll find myself hunting even when i don't have much money to spend or even when I'm not looking for any certain figure.

7. Seawing

Seawing Lurker of the depths Moderator

News Credits:
    For me it is getting the figure. I much rather go into a store and it has what I want stocked instead of hitting 8+ stores trying to find what I am looking for.

8. TransFan1996

TransFan1996 Well-Known Member

I like the hunting part, i am most excited when i go into the store to see what i can find

9. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually prefer blind suprise over hunting. Like when I found activators dirge. It's just nice to be able to go in the toy aisle and be like what the hell is that doing there?

Hunting can be very frustrating with no kill.

10. wipeyourfeet

wipeyourfeet Winner of the Internet

News Credits:
    Well, mainly the toy for me, but the rush you get when you find the one toy you've been looking for is pretty good. Like when I found the 08 Camaro BB from the first film out at retail, I felt pretty fantastic :D 

11. Yaujta

Yaujta Not a Bear TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Definately both.
    This weekend I was on the hunt for the Fallen and Soundwave. I came home with both, pluys some more just for fun/ I thought the hunt was over for now, until I read that Voyager Megatron is out there.
    The hunt begins anew.
    Even if the hunt isn't fruitful, I usually find a way to make the day enjoyable.

12. Alsparkkid

Alsparkkid New Member

Hay, new here, just went to KMart and checked for any new ROTF line toys, but to my supprise, they didn't have any. When I asked the clerk he said that Kmart may have no plans to even release any of the new transformers lines at all due to unknown reasons, but he did say it was because they didn't allow them to sell any excusives for more that $30.00, it seems that the wanted to sell some of the figures w/ over priced prices.

13. Nemesis Liger

Nemesis Liger Well-Known Member

That's pretty much the same for me too. In the end it's usually the need to go from store to store that makes rather order online. That way I have a better chance of getting what I was hoping for. (However I do sorta enjoy waiting for the boxes to show up on my doorstep. ...So tormenting, yet exciting...)

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I like finding my figures in the store, but have no quams about ordering online when it can save me time, gas, and money.

15. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Buying Transformers is to me pretty much the problem of western society in a nutshell. Why?

1.I feel a bit depressed.
    2. I want to cheer myself up.
    3. I BUY SOMETHING hoping that it will cheer me up (in this case, a cool looking TF I've had my eyes on for some time)
    4. I like it alot...for 10 minutes. Then I put it on my shelf and go look out for the next awesome one I NEEEED.

Granted, I really do like them, and don't regret buying them. In the end though, I guess you could say they are pretty irrelevant.

What was that old saying again? Something like 'the journey is more important than the goal'. Ever found that you wanted to go somewhere and in the end it was a bit of a letdown, and you could have had a great time getting there, but all that time you were just so focused on 'the end'? We should all try to enjoy the journey more..for Transformers, the hunt is equally important to the toy itself. :) 

16. thenatureboywoo

thenatureboywoo Veteran

News Credits:
    It's funny that you talk about "the journey". I remember quite a few times that me and one if not both of my kids have gone on a saturday hunting trip. And I smile when I remember the things we did and so on.

17. JFGuy4VT58

JFGuy4VT58 Well-Known Member

The hunt is definitely appealing, finding that sought after figure always feels pretty good. However, opening the package when I get home and studying the engineering, especially in the newer toys, is just as, if not more, exciting.

18. Thelbert

Thelbert Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh, I love the hunt for transformers. I mean, I like the toys too and all, but the hunt for them is really fun. It's always wondering what they are going to have when I get to the store. Will i be happy or disappointed?

Even stronger feeling of the "hunt" in a store is hunting them through like garage sales and flea markets. I used to do a lot of that a few years ago. I really had fun, getting outside, driving around, going to stranger's house and buying their kid's toys. haha. I should do that again. :) 

Edit: Also thenatureboywoo, it's totally awesome you go searching for TFs with your son. Gotta raise that new generation of fans. hehe

19. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I like the hunt a lot actually -- even though most of the time I do not buy what I find. I'm not sure why the hunt is the most fun part.

20. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The hunt used to be fun... when I was young and had all the time in the world to drive around town every other day. Now that I have a credit card and a computer, I can sit at home and just order everything, and essentially save a lot of time and money. I suppose you can consider me jaded.