The Hub In Trouble?

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by primus626, Jun 15, 2011.

1. primus626

primus626 Banned

News Credits:
    sorry if this is old news.

Transformers Live Action Movie Blog (TFLAMB): The Hub In Trouble?

It seems that Hasbro and Discovery Communications hopes for The Hub is not (yet) quite working out as planned. Deadline is reporting that Discovery Communications filed a $500 million debt notice to the SEC in part because of the lackluster audience the network has been getting with an average total day audience of only 23,000. I doubt The Hub is the cause of all that debt, just a portion of it. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Discovery "amended its agreement with Hasbro Inc. regarding The Hub to revise the license fees paid by The Hub for animated programs. This amendment creates a trigger event for purposes of intangible asset and goodwill impairment testing." While all this is out of my realm of understanding, my reading of it indicates that to offset the losses Hasbro has to pay more for its programming to air on the network. The more Hasbro has to pay (especially if doesn't get that in return with increase in toy shelves) will likely start impacting what airs on the network. Most new networks (even those that just rename themselves) have growing pains but it seems this move after less than a year of existence indicates that Discovery has real doubts about the future of the collaboration.

Hopefully the network will have time to build an audience. From what I have heard it has potential. Of course if you don't have an HDTV with HD converter box and paying for the upper channels (aka paying around $100 a month for cable) than good luck watching. Part of that lack of audience may just people not being willing to pay the high price for higher channels that have no real HD value like The Hub cartoons (like me). Another problem is communication. The schedule for The Hub has been difficult to nail down as new episodes are oddly scattered and unpredictable. Something you stumble across rather than know of in advance. Little kids may not care but if the goal is to create a daily habit of watching (like the Saturday morning or afternoon cartoons of old), predictable schedules is key. The Hub doesn't really have that. I am not sure the talent that is running the network but they might want to consider hiring over some of the talent that helped build Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network as right now I get the feeling that it is the toy department execs running the show but the needed skill set is simply not the same. Whatever ails them, good luck setting it back on course because The Hub is key to a future full of Transformers, especially if the movies go an extended hiatus.

IMPORTANT UPDATE: READ THIS POST BEFORE JUMPING TO ANY CONCLUSIONS

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2011
    • News Credit News Credit x 1
  2. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    I hate to say it, but I kind of saw this coming. I've had worries for The Hub ever since it was announced.

3. x BlackMagnus x

x BlackMagnus x Is not impressed

News Credits:
  4. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    Ouch, hope that doesn't mean Renegades and Prime are gonna get cancelled. Moving to another network might get complicated.

5. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Nicklodeon, CN and Disney Channel didn't all start with top profit and ratings either.

It's bad news, but not unexpected news to both sides of the venture.

6. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    Op said it well. Needing cable packages that cost 100~$ to even be able to view at all + preferably having a 1000$+ tv to watch your 1000$+/yr cable on + crazy long hiatuses in the bread and butter shows = failed.. Bad idea for a kids channel, imo. Could of made such better money so many other of ways ;;

7. Stune

Stune Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It would probably improve if they could consistently put episodes of Prime out.

I understand the show takes time to be worked on, but perhaps don't start airing episodes until there are enough to run as a full season.

8. Soundblaster1

Soundblaster1 The Heisenberg of Toys

News Credits:
    I was just having this discussion earlier. It was a good idea, but its also alienating a huuuuuuuuuge market share. I'm glad its failing. Put the shows back where every kid can watch them, not just the ones with rich parents.

9. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The Hub cannot purely rely on Transformers Prime for it's income/viewership. The channel needs pretty much every show to bring in decent ratings for a channel to survive. If the shows don't get viewers, advertisers will pull their adverts and funding, thus the channel will fail.

I don't live in the US so I don't get this channel anyway, but it seems like they should've made the channel more easily accessible, as big as MLP and TF are, people aren't going to pay hundreds of dollars just to get access to a TV channel to watch one show, when they can get it in HD free a few hours/a day later online.

10. gnp1

gnp1 Active Member

Whats this crazy cable packages that cost $100+? Is that for just cable or with phone,internet,cable? I have Verizon Fios and all 3 is $100 with the Hub.
    When I had Cablevision(optimum) we were playing $150 for all 3 and we didn't have the Hub. That was $15 more.

11. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    My tv and internet (phone not included) are over 100$. No fancy packages of any kind, local channels and basic cable, from comcast.

12. Sam Witwicky

Sam Witwicky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Oh wow so we might be screwed by getting no more Transformer Prime. Well fuck!

13. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    not really surprised, it's not even available up here, and they can't even get prime on it without a break after one or two episodes, the current break is over a month long...

14. jazz_123

jazz_123 Banned

lets face hub will probably get cancelled do to the lack of good shows the only shows i find interesting are tfprime and tf g1

15. megamonkeytron

megamonkeytron Active Member

News Credits:
    I wonder what is the revenue percentage from digital downloads (iTunes). I don't even have a TV. My wife and I just subscribe to the shows we wanna watch and Netflix the rest (on time delay obviously since that requires DVD release in most cases0. It's a fraction of the cost (for us) but it seems that if taken to scale that revenue stream has a much lower overhead than paying a cable company to carry your shows. With the number of online households why The Hub isn't an internet (pay-per-play or ad-supported) network is beyond me. Especially since connected households are more likely to have disposable income for toys (oh, that's right there aren't toys yet…).

16. Star Saber

Star Saber Primus Hates You!

News Credits:
    True, they're going to need a lot of new programming. Look at CN, they had to develop a lot of new shows, and couldn't just rely on old rerun programming.

17. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    well putting their new and original shows on a Saturday night isn't helping them, not to mention the giant breaks between new episodes, people are losing interet and moving on

18. Deadend

Deadend Overloaded Spark

News Credits:
    I think you need to take a better look at who has to pay the higher amounts to get it.

So far in my experience, most providers have it on a normal tiered package right next to nickelodeon. Only 2 I've run across that you have to pay extra.
    So that means if you have it, you should be watching it instead of DLing the shows to watch on your own time.

CN also started out with reruns for many years before original programing really took hold. So the old re-runs aren't the issue either. The issue is mostly recognition as a new station, piracy of the material by those that do get the station, and lack of a better digital presence on the hubworld.com

Hubworld should be keeping up with currently airing shows to have the newest just aired episodes to help appease those that do want to see it if they missed and still support the channel.

Outside of the US, well that's a whole nother argument that's too much to bother with here. The issue here though is domestic ratings, or the lack thereof from those that do have the channel, including those that haven't bothered to check if they do because they rather just download it.

I think someone needs to post an article about what providers have it, and in what packages to make it known to those who have said providers if they have it or not. Instead of this automatic conjecture of "You have to pay 100s of dollars to have it on most providers!!!" Which truly isn't the case.

My cable provider has it on a cheap package as just part of the basic digital package. HD has nothing to do with this at all. So not sure where that reasoning came from either. Hell, my grandma has it on u-verse(again not HD), and all she has is the cheapest package she could get. She's a regular Scrooge Mcduck. (That's not to say she watches it, but I do turn it on for all the cousins at family events, like I will be for father's day with the GI Joe marathon.) That converter box is a digital converter box. Standard ant. tv has long since gone though. Again, HDTVs have nothing to do with this. That converter box is also for those that don't have a provider at all. As a set top box handles digital just fine. So there is no HD cost associated with this whatsoever at all. Digital does not, I repeat, DOES NOT mean HD. HD signals are digital yes, but so is every channel you watch now. Even the standard stations and local affiliates.

Needless to say, if the Hub dies, I won't be blaming hasbro or Dkids. I'll squarely be blaming the leeches and people who propagated the material that was supposed to draw in viewers. Especially those that haven't even bothered to check if they have it, prefering to pirate instead. It's essentially Dead Like Me all over again. Show canceled based on low ratings because those that have the channel and were watching started downloading instead.

So instead of telling people so and so show is so cool, you should download it. Tell them to check if the have the station, they should be watching it. Especially if you know they have it because they have the same provider and package as you and you have it.

That's two verified right there btw for cheaper packages.
    Charter has it and U-verse has it.
    That just leaves the various sat dish providers, and comcast.
    One of the sat dish providers I know has it on the cheaper package too, as one of my cousins just found out she has it for her kids, as does her mom/my aunt. So that's 3 that have it out of 6 major providers. (I don't know which dish provider she has, just that they have dish.)

*edit*
    Above had an answer for another.
    Cablevision doesn't have it.
    So that's 3 yes, 1 no so far.

19. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    "Hey we know nothing about business, let's read article about business that keeps repeating it's just standard procedure and that they're still confident about a better future and panic"

20. Cyber Star

Cyber Star Why so Geewun, Loser?

Nooo poor Hub! I dont wanna lose TFP & MLP :cry