The Hobbit

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Optimus_Prowl, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I saw that Tauriel shortly before I watched the third movie and thought "Oh neat". After I saw the movie that changed to "NEEEEEEEEED".

2. Scar04c

Scar04c Big Game Hunter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    The Tauriel looks pretty great, but it's 1/6 scale, and that's just way too big for me and my collection :(  Will just have to acquire the BD ones and hope more eventually come. Figma would be pretty sweet...

3. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I feel the need to warn those of you wanting Smaug. Bridge Direct's facebook is filled with hate right now as the Smaug figure was very misleading. It's a tiny figure, does not scale with any of the lines, it's even too small for Lego minifigures. Here is the most constructive review I could find. You have been warned!

The Bridge Direct: The Hobbit Smaug the Dragon | The Fwoosh

4. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    Well, that's...unfortunate. At that size I'd pay around $30 for it tops. I don't really care that much about scale in relation to other figures, but that's waaaaay too small for $80-$90. It looks fantastic, though.

I feel bad for TBD to be honest. I'm sure they made it that size because it was the only cost-effective way to get a Smaug figure released. It's too bad they're going to be remembered more for their tiny Smaug than they will be for all of the other excellent figures they did for the movies.

5. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh, I had heard it was small, but that's a bit... (to quote eriku) "unfortunate". I think I'll just be getting the smaller Smaug statue from Weta, and maybe, maybe if this one goes on sale sometime I'll get it.

6. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Has anybody ever bought and painted any of the Games Workshop or Mithril Miniatures miniatures? I've been thinking about it for a while, however haven't actually bought any yet myself. I'm thinking about getting the Barrow Wights first (Fog on the Barrow Downs is probably my favorite chapter in the books: for some reason it really stuck with me on my first reading), however I've never painted miniatures before, and while there are plenty of tutorials for the Games Workshop ones (I have a few on YouTube saved), there are none for Mithril Miniatures, so I thought I'd ask a bit here first. The Mithril ones seem to be a bit small (though if I'm reading correctly they're metal, which is really nice), so I'm not sure which I'd rather go with, and thought here would be a good place to ask about them. :) 

7. Scar04c

Scar04c Big Game Hunter

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Wooowww....not at all what I expected based on the description that came out a few months ago. I'm so glad I never got around to ordering one now - I was hoping for something beastly and large, not something puny, while nice looking. Here's to hoping someone else picks up the license and breathes life into the franchise.

I have not, but I've seen a few in person that looked pretty awesome! If you have the time/skills, I'd say go for it! But the size and the (perceived?) difficulty in painting the piece is too much for me, personally.

8. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I came here for something else, but just noticed I never replied to this. :eek:  I've painted small things before, and have a really steady hand, so I think I might give them a shot sometime soon. I meant to try much sooner, but just haven't gotten around to it.
    Now for the reason I came here for: I just pre-ordered the Tauriel figure from Asmus. She has a bonus dagger with pre-orders, and I didn't want to end up regretting missing out on that. I can't wait to have her in hand! :D 

9. Timothy.R

Timothy.R Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i wish i had collected some of the figures while they were in stores.

i also wish they had made an azog with his dagger arm.

i'm probably one of the only people who actually enjoyed the hobbit movies more than the original lord of the rings series.. like, i enjoyed the hobbit movies substantially more.

i'd love to have a proper 4" or 6" scale smaug.. if something like that were to be released, i'd most definitely go back through eBay and buy all of the previous figures.

10. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

It's kind of sad that aside from statues, the current best figure for Smaug is the LEGO one.

11. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm still waiting on my Tauriel pre-order, but last week I finally got my first of the Asmus figures (and started down the dark path to catching up on the line... :eek: ): the Morgul Lord! I think I got one of the older body ones, but he holds the basic pose I want him too, so I'm not going to worry about it for now. He looks so creepy and imposing on my shelf, and I can't wait to add some "friends" for him! :D