The history and future of our franchise.

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KnightHawkke, Nov 21, 2010.

1. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke A Man, Who Does Not Exist. TFW2005 Supporter

I know this has probably been brought up before, and I am sorry, but I gotta know something.

Where has this drive come from to banish the entire history of our franchise to hell in a handbasket?:eek: 

The younger folks never got the experience of seeing the first cartoons, seeing the first animated movie and watching Prime die before your eyes for the first time not knowing he would ever be brought back to life and having your whole little world changed before you. so yeah older fans maybe more emotionally invested in early transformers, that is an immutable fact of life... Younger fans need to remember NO G1 MEANS NO TRANSFORMERS! none zero zip zilch...:inquisiti  You cannot kick the base (older) fanhood and media of a franchise to the curb like yesterdays garbage. The older fans, collectors and such, (most of the time) tend to purchase more product (in general) which in turn makes new product come to the screen and to the shelves. Liking G1 does not make you some kind of leper.

I understand some older folks don't like the live action movies, and were/are very vocal about that, toilet humor does not appeal to a mature individual, matter of fact most find it insulting to their intelligence, thats an inescapable fact life. That all being said, older fans need to keep in mind the fact that because of those films we knock at every opportunity the future of our franchise is much more financially secure than it was before they were released, as well as there was finally the capitol and drive to make REAL homages to the first transformers, homages that continue to this day with classics 3.0. And at the same time we all get awesome pieces like ROTF leader Prime and Jetfire, movie deluxe Brawn and Sideswipe! (3 am, all I could think of off hand)

At first I HATED the direction of the live action films, but you cannot deny the revitalization they brought, I wish the toilet humor could have been left out, that will never change.

I don't understand why both medias/ generations cannot co-exist, you need to both keep old fans and add new generations to keep a franchise healthy. I am saddened by so many people who want to destroy our history:( :confused: 

2. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I think what we have here is the classic case of failure to distinguish between the concepts of "G1" and "GEEWUN".

Never fear, read this

3. KnightHawkke

This is true as well I have not read that little page in some time lol and, to be honest anytime I see some asswad in any media so flippantly use the word rape it enrages me to no end.

The second paragraph talking about the positive effects of the movies was directed right at people like that, the franchise needed that shot in the arm after the catastrophe that was the unicron trilogy.

I started getting a little "geewun" myself but realized how futile and unhealthy for the franchise it really was.

I just got the feeling that some of the posts I have read since diving back into these forums after time away were people wanting to throw the media of Gen 1 in the proverbial file 13.

4. Fishdirt

Fishdirt Tin Toy Transformer

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Whoever wrote that article needs to check their years. Generation Y grew up on Pokecrap and mightmorpin in my pants rangers :D 

All hilarity aside, what us gen xers really need is closure. We never got that. We want Galvatron finally dead and peace restored back on Cybertron. Then, and only then, can we move on.

It's going to be pretty bad when we're all in our 80s still talking bout "The war on Cybertron" like the WWII vets talk of that war God bless them.

5. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    So long as whatever comes out carries the spirit of Transformers much like super heroes. You can't get me into BATMAN by showing me some 40 year old TV show. The property has to be reinvented for kids today. Like my kid brother LOVES Transformers all because of the movie, but I show him "MY" Transformers (G1, Beast Wars, Animated) and why I like it and it's all the same to them.

Kids are kids you can't tell if they will have an emotional bond to the brand until another 10-15 years from now when they look back and think... "OMG Transformers!" or "Transformers!? WTF!? LOL!" Things change and people change, Hasbro realizes the heart of Transformers if your paying attention to what they are doing these days. If you want people to spend money, you can't sale them a dusty old car it has to be a shiny new one.

I like the new stuff thats coming out but I don't invest my money in the brand unless it's G1 or something paying homage to it. So stuff like TF Prime and the movies, yeah I'll watch it but as for the toys maybe 1 or 2 Optimus Primes and I'm good. So really, don't like it, don't buy it ;) 

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Every day every franchise is destroyed permanently and every new fan who enters a fandom is terrible if they like different things because we were here first and know better than them.

7. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
  8. KnightHawkke

that one statement you made is exactly where the disconnect in the conversation seems to fall. where I am also a Trek fan and my folks absolute love of the series carried over into me, I don't hear trek fans talking about pushing Kirk out of an airlock or wiping The Original Series from existence like younger transformers fans, somewhere, something went wrong in this fandom.

On the other hand, maybe I let myself get too worked up over what a small group of people say, happens to the best of us I guess.:eek: 

"Things change and people change, Hasbro realizes the heart of Transformers if your paying attention to what they are doing these days. If you want people to spend money, you can't sale them a dusty old car it has to be a shiny new one."

did you read what I said? "older fans need to keep in mind the fact that because of those films we knock at every opportunity the future of our franchise is much more financially secure than it was before they were released, as well as there was finally the capitol and drive to make REAL homages to the first transformers, homages that continue to this day with classics 3.0. And at the same time we all get awesome pieces like ROTF leader Prime and Jetfire, movie deluxe Brawn and Sideswipe!"

9. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    "GEEWUN" is a term of prejudice and hate... quite often used by people who take offense to the ROTF Twins on the grounds of racism.

10. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Yes, true civility and open-mindedness is cleaving to that which you know now, and disrespecting other ideas and that which came before.

11. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Here's a question I'd like answered:

HASBRO / TAKARA only makes a product that they know / believe to be a demand for. That said, who do we thank more for CHUG:

1) GEEWUNNERS and those who like some kind of return to the roots

or

2) Those who boo-hoo and belittle that which came before and spread nothing but contempt for G1 and those who like it?

12. KnightHawkke

Loaded question? lol

the classics push in general probably was born from the older collectors and their feedback to hasbro.

13. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Of course it's a loaded question... but were it not for those older collectors and their "feedback" to HASBRO, then all that's left are the newewr fans who just "want to move forwars", and "keep things fresh".

Like your CHUG? Thank an older fan.

14. KnightHawkke

ok, I missed this whole CHUG deal, I have seen alot of folks don't like it, WTF is that all about?

Most of the point I was trying to make here is, Both sides have valid points, there Needs to be fresh new lines and shows, there also Needs to be good and true homages to the first transformers from time to time..
    In 15-20 Years there will Need to be good true homages to Bayformers along with by then the probably talking self transforming toys that fight amongst themselves by voice command lol

15. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    CHUG is just an example.

I'm an older fan too, am I'm just trying to re-inforce your position. If we kick what came before- G1 / G2 and it's fans to the curb then we wouldn't get such nice gems as CHUG or the Masterpiece line.

16. KnightHawkke

if you kick your base fandom to the curb time and time again eventually a franchise dies..

Guess we just got the signals crossed a bit there lol

That my friend is totally true about BW, it was another moment in the franchise that brought it back to life, just like the bayformers. Rhinox totally needs a truer to the show figure in a Bad way, perhaps on the next anniversary would be nice!

17. KAGE

KAGE aka: GibsonKAGE

News Credits:
    I never heard of younger fans pretending G1 never existed, but if they do that's their beef. We all know kids today are weird lol! But as for the second statement, it was just making a point on the over all subject. But there is issues in every fandom that have lived as long as Transformers, Power Rangers for example. Most old skool fans like myself don't involve our self in the online fandom simply cause Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Power Rangers online world is ran by inexperienced tweens who know nothing about the history of the brand. So it's not that there is something wrong in the fandom, it's just an invasion of stupid kids.

18. KnightHawkke

This is a good point I have been out of contact for so long tending to medical problems I appear to have grown far more out of touch than I had first thought =-(

19. jgoss

jgoss transformers fan 4 life

every fan here has an opinion.i love both old and new tf's. do you think that if g1 never exsited that transformers would even be around? maybe i don't know. i like just about all of the series but my fav is g1 hands down.

20. G1_Cindersaur

G1_Cindersaur Banned

News Credits:
    yeah but to compare star trek to transformers is like apples and oranges.

star trek always has had the same development along the way...they have never ignored or lambasted the earlier story lines that came before...

transformers has had michael bay....who loves to piss on the past history of any franchise...

look at the clash of the titans...he took the mechanical owl from the original story and relegates it to a trash pile with a character telling another one...oh you don't need that...it's a piece of junk

^this along with the disconnect of each transformers story...the AEC series have been the only ones to collectively build the story....

star trek always has paid homage to the earlier series and characters...

I grew up with G1...think it and the beast wars series were the best story lines...however toywise...classics, HFTD, and the Generations like have been like HOMERUN...lately transformer toywise...