The happening

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by encline, Jun 14, 2008.

1. encline

encline customizer of love TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    anybody seen it? I like all his other movies. How does this one compare?

2. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    After I found out what is actually going on, I lol'd. The movie is getting really negative reviews from both critics and movie goers. And based on the ridiculousness of the script and plot, it really deserves it.

3. encline

News Credits:
    That bad huh?

4. Venksta

Venksta Render Project Creations TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm a fan of M. Night's movies, but the trailer for Happening just didn't sell me on it. I originally thought I would watch this and skip the Hulk. Looks like I'll be watching Hulk instead.

By the way, heres the link to rotten tomatoes for this movie, not doing good at all:
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10007985-happening/

I actually fear how he'll handle the upcoming Avatar movie.

5. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Today I jumped for joy, as I was spared by accompany a friend to watch it, as I got assignments to settle tomorrow.

6. encline

News Credits:
    Thanks for the link. I check imdb.com. Reading reviews on tfw helps me get an idea of people who think like me feel about a movie. That is why I went and saw speed racer on imax. Well worth it.

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I heard the twist and thought it was the stupidest thing I've heard in my life. If Rifftrax mocks it on DVD I'll buy it then, but not without them mocking it..

8. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:

Boy do I hope that is sarcasm about seeing Speed Racer....

9. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

Speed Racer was far superior to this movie. The Happening has some of the worst acting i've seen recently.

10. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    We went last night. My wife dragged me too it, as I am a fan of MNS but this movie looked dumb. I was right. The acting was crap, the story was crap. After the initial shock of what's going on, it gets lamer. And then it ends with NO closure other than a theory about what happened. The scenes with Wahlberg and co. running to avoid the "threat" are ridiculous and stupid.

It is almost like MNS just made a movie that would get an R rating and filled it with as much shock as he could in the first half hour; unfortunately, most you see in the trailers. I am really dissappointed in him, first LITW and now this, even The Village was *decent* and had a pretty good twist at the end. Even if you didn't know the reason behind what was causing the deaths, the foreboding was fairl evident. Spoilers:

Everytime the wind blowed the camera focused on the trees. Plants swayed but they acted like it was a big surprise when it was revealed. Watching the actors run away from the wind, duck from the wind, and avoid the wind and "pissing off" plants was ludicrous and makes me want my money back.

Don't go see it, buddy, it isn't worth renting.

11. Cruellock

Cruellock Disney Villain

After seeing The Village, I'm cautious of his movies. If this one is worse, then thanks for the heads up.

12. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Yeah. Went to see it last night with a friend. It was not good. The acting was definately horrible. Also, I think it ended up being a pretty heavy handed environmentalist sermon.

13. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
  14. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I've known about the "twist" for some time now. It's kinda lame, actually. And with no resolution at the end, I think I'll skip it entirely. I'll be seeing Incredible Hulk this afternoon, instead.

15. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

This is Capone's review from AICN. I think it's the "best" review in terms of a fun read, but pretty brutal. It'd be great for quote mining. However, Capone seems to have enjoyed MNS's other films more than most reviewers, so he can't be dismissed as one more Night-hater.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37073

16. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

It wasn't that bad. Better than The Village and Lady in the Water, IMO. I think it's an interesting concept/premise for a creepy movie and it pulled it off well enough. Sure, there's some wooden acting/dialogue in parts, but whatcha gonna do.

The twist is not really a twist. The theory is introduced fairly early on and is built on as the movie goes on. There is no big "What a tweest!" reveal. You just either roll with the premise or you don't.

17. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

...you know thanks for the warning Im gonna go see hulk smash instead.

We need a portable MST3K Comentary or something for this kinda movies.

18. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    As I said, I'm waiting for the Rifftrax MP3 to play along with it. If you haven't heard of Rifftrax, think of it as MST3K 2.0 with big name movies. You buy mp3s of the riffing and synch it up to the film and tahdah! you got Mike, Kevin (tom Servo), and Bill (Sci-Fi era Crow) mocking films like Battlefield Earth. Some have Mike by himself, others it is the three of them or a combo of the two of them. Sometimes Mike will have a guest. Neil Patrik Harris helped riff Willy Wonka, Mary Jo Peal (Pearl Forrester from MST3K) has appeared twice, Lowatx helped Mike riff Troll 2, Bridget (MST3k Writer and Mike's wife) did one for the Grey's Anatomy pilot with Mike.

Very fun and affordable. The short films have downloadable versions you can put on an Ipod. Price is about $1 or so for the shorts and about $3-4 for a full movie.

19. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

There really wasn't a big twist with Signs, either. Many films have surprises and twists at the end, but because of Sixth Sense they became expected of MNS and blown out or proportion by reviewers. As for what's causing "The Happening", it's a rediculous idea.

20. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I happen to think otherwise. The full explanation put forth in the movie isn't any more ridiculous than any of Crichton's pseudoscience. It was the execution that was lacking in places.