The Happening - Early Impressions Rolling In

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Joe Moore, May 16, 2008.

1. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I thought the movie looked kinda "meh" to begin with. But this just sounds like it hurts. Beware, the Collider link may have spoilers.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/05/16...appening-slammed-and-new-5-minute-video-clip/

http://www.collider.com/entertainment/reviews/article.asp?aid=7903&tcid=1

2. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Leader Blackout LIVES!!!

News Credits:
    Yeah, read this on AICN yesterday. I hope it isn't that bad; I like MNS. I loved Signs, and hope this follows in that general direction. I can't imagine MW doing a bad acting job, after his recent hits, but anything could happen. I hope it is better than they say.

3. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

What a twist?!

4. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    While I really want to read this, I want to be completely blank when I go watch this movie. This has made me enjoy all of his movies, twist or not, a whole lot better.

5. Keiichitron

Keiichitron Not a physicist, dammit

Ebay:
    i haven't liked M Night's movies since Unbreakable, i hadn't planned on seeing this one, and the review reinforces that

6. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    :lolol  I think the same thing every time I see the previews.

7. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm looking forward to this. I'm one of the 8 or 9 people who really enjoyed 'Lady in the Water,' though I felt 'The Village' was a bit weak. However, Hulk will smash puny Shyamalan.

8. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Browsing/Not Buying

The original title of this movie made the movie's premise too obvious.

9. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    Well, it's gotta be better than Lady in the Water.

I hope. *crosses fingers*

10. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
  11. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Its looks good esp if you enjoy M Night's twist formula. Plus Zooey is in the movie so awesome.

Frankly the critics can kiss my ass. They adhere to standard of movie making that no longer exists.

12. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

Signs was one of the most painfull movies I ever had to sit through. It was like the movies they would show on MST3K, except it actually took itself seriously.

13. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I agree. So far I have liked his movies, besides The Village, and none of the twists were ruined for me. In fact, I shouldn't even be looking around here! The thing that I wanted to say though was the after finally seeing a trailer for it, Mark Whalbergs expression and overall demeanor seem really bad. It's hard to describe- he looks too... eager? I don't know, but maybe in context it will be better.

14. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

It looked awesome, but I just read the spoilers and OH MY GOD it sounds terrible. Like, AVP terrible.

15. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    gotta admit the part about apologizing to a plant sounds just plain stupid. Especially when it turns out to be a fake one So I kinda have no hope for this film.

16. Jeremy.B

News Credits:
    Really? When the wife and I saw it in the theater, it was packed and it had several moments when everyone jumped at it. I thought the script was especially clever and the aliens were done as *realistically* as possible, IMO.

Agreed. Even the village was really good until they showed the first twist. But I think if you just enjoy the movie as being a fun event and not criticize every detail it will be fine. I think you are dead on on Wahlberg's performance, and it seems like a step down from his most recent work. If I can get over that I think I will enjoy it for what it is.

17. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I have to defend signs to. I liked most of his other movies but Signs actually ranks in my top ten, and its probably the one I get a lot of flack for when asked what my favorite movies are.

The first thing is that it has an eerie feeling in general thanks to the soundtrack or lack there of when its silent. I also think it has probably some of the best pacing when it comes to introducing the audience to the aliens. First, a silhouette on the roof that the movie characters think is a person playing a prank, but of course the audience knows better, which made it very creepy. Then you see a leg in the dark slip away into a cornfield, then the video on the news with a blurry full image, then the kitchen scene (which never fails to startle), then of course the finale. It really was a great build up I thought. But still, the best thing about it was the signs themselves. Yes, the twist. The ending, when the music builds up to the kid breathing again. The titular signs were not about aliens, but about God. A preist who had forsaken his God for a while now coming to realise that God has been watching over his family the whole time making sure his family had what it needed to survive this ordeal.

Sure, it was another twist, but in my opinion, beautifully crafted. I don't even know how many people even got that.

18. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I loved Sixth Sense. I loved Unbreakable. I loved Signs. But the other movies were disasters, and this sounds like just another disaster...Especially that twist is ridicilous...Ugh...

19. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm going to check it out still, in my continuing hope that M Night remembers whatever it was that caused Unbreakable to rock so much. ;_;

20. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sixth Sense was good and I thought Unbreakable was excellent. Signs...I liked on first viewing but now I just can't get past the absolute stupidity of the aliens, who can be killed by water, coming down unprotected to conquer a planet that has a crapload of water on it. I'm willing to suspend disbelief to some extent in a sci-fi movie but the actions of the aliens make no sense in context of their vulnerability. Also didn't help that the aliens weren't very intimidating when they were fully revealed.

After Signs, I haven't seen an MNS movie and, judging from these reviews (and the likelihood that Happening will have a "message" about the environment), I won't be wasting time on this one either.

Last edited: May 17, 2008