The Guy Code: Revisited

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jux, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

So here's a hypothetical situation based on a thread from a few months back.

A woman is upset with her relationship with her boyfriend at home. She then proactively puts a move on another guy and starts showing some interest. Not much, but essentially opening a door.

Now, is it wrong for the second guy to then make a move to get this girl and take her away from the boyfriend? Or does The Guy Code prohibit that, even in situations where the girl made the first move?

2. butz

butz slippery when wet

Does the guy know she has a boyfriend? If so, does he know the guy?

3. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

Good question. For this situation, let's say that he does know there is a boyfriend, but he doesn't know him personally.

Which to me, is the difference maker. The Guy Code, to me, says you can't proactively put the moves on a taken girl unless she does so first, or at all if you know who the boyfriend is. But that's just me.

4. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Section 13, subparagraph 3 says reciprocation of said move is acceptable.

Shit, that's how I got together with my girlfriend.

5. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I think the biggest factor for me would be why the boyfriend at home has spurned this girl's interest. If he's a big lazy ignoramus, or a jobaholic that can't be there for her, or something like that...then yeah, I'd probably side with the girl; it'd be within Guy Code to help her get out a situation like that. I'd say The Othe Guy has free reign to move in (relationship-wise, not "into the house") and help rescue the girl from her boyfriend.

If the boyfriend at home is there for the girl, though, and a pretty positive and relationshippy part of her life, and the girl is bored and moving on, then no, I don't think it's good of The Other Guy to make any moves, especially if he can see that the boyfriend at home is a positive part of this girl's life, whether she thinks so or not. In that case, if I was The Other Guy, I'd tell the girl that she needs to make it or break it with her boyfriend FIRST before anything else would happen beyond, I dunno, friendly flirting.

EDIT: ...and if guy moving in just doesn't have any knowledge of The Boyfriend At Home, I think it's his obligation to find out enough to make a judgment like the one (or the other) above.

I think my response was similar the first time around, but feh.

6. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

Man, this is hard. So many outcomes.

My two cents: Go for it only if you don't know the dude. I agree with Ops, if she's unhappy and the guy is a dick, no regrets. The only problem you can run into, is if the guy is a psycho and tries to kick your ass.

7. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I have to say that so long as Boyfriend and Potential Boyfriend do not know each other, it's fair game. At least that's what I did in the past.

If Boyfriend and Potential Boyfriend do know each other, deal's off.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

If the current boyfriend is a friend or is known to be a nice guy, I'd say leave the girl alone until there's an actual breakup. If the current boyfriend is an enemy or a known asshole, then who the hell cares. If the current boyfriend is a complete unknown, then "proceed with caution" and use best judgment.

9. butz

butz slippery when wet

I'd say it only matters if the new guy knows the current BF, and they are on more or less good terms (or at least respect eachother). If you know the guy, but fucking hate him, why not let his girl leave him for you?

10. JinraiPrime

JinraiPrime 1000+ Post Club Member

I say if she was any sort of woman she wouldnt have put a move on the guy in the first place without first booting deadbeat to the curb. Women are shrewed and she could feed the person any story at all to win the sympathy/chivalry "rescue the damsel from the retard" vote. I stick with the idea that if she was a woman of quality she wouldnt be trying to bait the hook with a fish home in the bowl.

11. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

I should note that the guy my gf was with before was a total douchebag, so yeah, no violation of the guy code there. If he had been a cool guy, she would have been off limits. If he's an outright friend, even if only through her...then you tell the guy and both of you get the fuck out of Dodge.

12. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

That's my view on it as well.

13. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I think that we are all in concensous: Don't know the guy, go for it. Do, don't.

14. Metal Soldier

Metal Soldier The Robot

I'm with Prowliekins.

15. Zeta Otaku

Zeta Otaku Who ya gonna call? TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    While I do have to say go for it if you don't know the guy or know he's a total jerkwad or whatever, I also should throw in this:

Be careful.

Why? Simple. She's essentially looking to cheat on her boyfriend instead of breaking up with him first. How trustworthy can she be?

Who knows, maybe I'm totally off on this, but still... something to keep in mind.

16. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I must dissent. If there is knowledge that there is a boyfriend, whether this boyfriend is known to you or not, don't go there.

This is for two reasons.
    1: respect. even if she's putting the moves on you, respect the other guy and pass.
    2: if she's putting the moves on you, even though she has a man at home, that speaks to her character and I, personally, wouldn't want that anyway.

17. Darth Fitch

Darth Fitch Herald of Golobulus

My gut tells me. If she's going to do that to her boyfriend making the moves on you. Then she'll do the same to you when she's dissatified with you.

18. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    No dipping your pen in the company inkwell, especially when you are so new to the company.

19. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

I agree with this. however the possibility exists that she could always end up doing the same to the new boyfriend once she's had him for a while.

20. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    I'm gonna repeat what was said twice before. If she's the type to cheat on him instead of breaking it off when not satisfied, then she'd be the type to cheat on you later. For all you know, she's fed up with him leaving the toilet seat up and that's all she needs to "start looking". Possible psycho alert. To me, that's a red flag. "Oh, you want to start a relationship with me before you break up with him to make sure you aren't making a mistake?" If I have to say or think that, she's not my type.

She's obviously a whore to even flirt with another guy while in a relationship. I say that cause she's looking to cheat and as far as I'm concerned, any woman that cheats is a whore ( my ex-wife included ). If she dumps the guy, then it's fair game. As long as she's with him, I'd stay away.