The Gundam 0080 Models

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Evan Goldsborough, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Evan Goldsborough

Evan Goldsborough Freelance Negotiator

No, not the more recent HGUC models. I mean the older releases, these things: http://gundamstoreandmore.com/gu00moki.html

I'm just wondering what the quality of these things are like. I mean, I don't expect them to be at the same level of the more recent ones, but I HAVE heard some good things about them. Plus, at the prices they're going for, it's pretty hard to pass up on.

So, can anyone help me out here?

2. soundwaveCA

soundwaveCA Veteran

News Credits:
    Well the ones in the link are 1/144 scale so there smallish (deluxe size). Personally I'm not a fan of the 1/144 scale as I find them to be too small and delicate. All the ones that size I bought seemed to fall apart real easy but that shouldn't be taken as a knock on all the kits this size.

But for the price it's a good deal though. The only one I would recommend really avoiding in that lot is the Kampfer. My brother has both the 1/100 and 1/144 and there awful, it's really one of those toys that look cool in the pic's but dont in real life. I like the Gelgoog personally, I'm also a huge fan of the Dom's but I've been told that's really just me compared to other Gundam fans :lol 

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    the Zugock and Hygog are f'ing fantastic. Rick Dom is damn good too. Alex is great with the armor on, not so great otherwise. those are the only four that I have.

4. Evan Goldsborough

^Hm. I've found the HGUC 1/144 kits that I have (Zeta Gundam and 0079 Gouf) to be very nice little kits. However, I think I know what you mean: the Grade-less 1/144 Gundam Wing kits I got years ago were pretty crappy.

To your point on the Kampfer: I wouldn't say that's true in all cases. I can tell by those pictures that the small-scale one is kinda crappy, but the Master Grade I currently have on my shelf is damning awesome, especially when fully armed. love the thing. (Although, we ARE talking about a MG here...)

And to your comment about the price: the Turn A Gundam kits are going for about as much, and I do have my eye on a few of those. If these things aren't as well engineered, I don't see a point in getting them.

EDIT: didn't realize you'd posted. The Hy-Gogg was the one I was really interested in, so thanks a lot.

5. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Aside: Just of the 0080 versions or of all Doms? Because if all Doms, then to hell with other Gundam fans. Doms kick ass. (Doesn't hurt that I was really introduced to them through Blue Destiny, where they were as badass as the EXAM Efreet...)

6. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to have the Dom in the link but it was a long time ago...er, maybe 15-16 years ago? I can't remember its exact size but to me (now) it was bigger than the current HG series.

Construction-wise, it was easy and the finished kit (without painting) was good to me.

If you're a fan of the Doms, I really recommend the Master Grade Doms or Rick Doms. They're bigger, don't need painting to look good and the weapons they have are amazing. In fact, IMO the Master Grade kits are the ones worth buying...as they're the best representative of the Gundam mecha...that is until Bandai releases a 1/100 scale toyline! :D 

Below is a link from a Korean Website -dalong, that has pictures of all the kits without painting but are panel-lined. I have been using this site (thanks to Emperor Mengde) to view all the kits.

http://dalong.net/

This site is important to me as I don't know how to paint my kits and I buy kits that look good without painting. In fact, the website even has a gallery of the Char Gundam you were asking a few weeks ago?

At the end of the review, the review would give a score and so far, I find the scores are pretty in-tune to my "tastes".

Anyway, since we're on the topics of Doms, I thought I might was well share some pictures! :D 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Emperor Mengde

Emperor Mengde Instrumentalist

The Hygogg is pretty good, as stated earlier in the thread (it's the only one I have so it's the only one I can comment on). With a little bit of paint it looks pretty cool too.

8. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I have most of these kits, and in general I like the old 0080 series quite a bit. Also, I think this line had some of the nicest box-art in Bandai's gundam history! :) 

Here's a quick round-up of reviews:

HyGogg:
    one of my least favourite of these kitts. This one needs lots of paint, and is very fiddly. Because of it's long arms and hollow construction, it feels very delicate. The finger bits are fussy and the foot flaps are floppy. The tentacle arms dont' have more than 2 joints in them. I dont' have the HGUC version, but I'm willing to bet it's much better.

GM Command: Both versions...these are very simple, solid, and satisfying kits. Sure, the GMs can be a bit dull, but these are really nice. I would say that they might even be BETTER than the HGUC versions, especially for the price. My only complaint is that the knee joint doesn't allow for deep bends.

Zaku-Kai:
    Great little Zaku variant. I like the alternate head too, with the more "nazi" styled helmet shape. Like the GM command, this is miles ahead of some of the other "non-grade" older Gundam kits, practically as nice as a HGUC.

Zugock-E:
    Nice Zugock. A bit hollow, but nice styling and construction.

Gundam NT "Alex":Not bad. Solid build, decent detailing, desperate for paint. The armour gimmick works okay, but it's a pain to put it on and take it off. Also the pop-up guns are removers, rather than functional. A bit short in the waist compared to later stylings of this Gundam.

Rick Dom: I really like the Rick Dom, better than most Doms, so maybe I'm biased, but these are good (if simple) Dom kits for the money. They have a decent range of motion, slick styling, but no waist twist and no jointing in the skirts. I have 3 of these, painted in different schemes, if that gives you any idea. I just wish they came with a sidearm besides the bazooka.

Gelgoog-J:
    Similar overall to the quality of the Dom. Simple, but solid. Good styling, no waist articulation or motion in the skirt armour.. nice big gun. Not much compared to the HGUC version, but great for the price.

Kampher: Bit of a let-down. Very simple design, which fails to capture the coolness of the Kampher seen in versions like the MG. Detailing is decent, but the jointing and stuff... kinda boring. I customed mine till it was acceptable. :) 

see gallery (old pics with primitive camera):
    [​IMG]

9. thor20

thor20 Omnibot

If you want 1/144 size go with HGUC. These are a little primitive and the price is about the same. I have the Hygog and the NT-1 and they aren't much of a challenge to put together and aren't as posable either.

10. Evan Goldsborough

Well, thanks for the feedback. I think I'll be picking up a few of these to practice my weathering techniques and panel-lining on.