The Guiding Hand

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Kraken, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    So by now I assume everyone has read the MTMTE and RID annuals.

So what are everyone's thoughts on this new Cybertronian creation story we've been given?

To recap;

After the birth of Cybertron, the Miracle Planet, Primus, The First Light, the warrior god born in the Universal Furnace as a reaction to his opposite, came upon it. As he did he felt a nest of sparks stir within himself, and split his essence into five seperate entities. Primus, The Light giver and Life bringer. Mortilus, The Death Bringer. Solomus, Wisdom Incarnate. Epistemus, Knowledge Personified. And Adaptus, blessed with an infinity of shapes. Together they became known as The Guiding Hand.

Primus populated the planet with a single gesture, and decreed that all his children should provide for themselves and each other, and so he blessed them all with a second form so that they could better fulfil the needs of the planet and it's inhabitants. Thus the First Golden Age began.

Mortilus however became restless. he believed that the Hand should become a fist and strike out at the rest of the universe. The planet became divided as Mortilus stood against the wishes of Primus. There was a great conflict, Cyberton shuddered, and the first moon was torn asunder!

Mortilus was eventually destroyed, but at a great cost to the rest of the Guiding Hand. Close to death, Primus retreated to the centre of the planet, reintegrating himself with the circuitry from whence he came. In time he became known as Vector Sigma, source of all sparks sentience. Before he died Mortilus managed to entrap Solomus inside a crystal prison. Solomus though was able to reconfigure it into a conduit to Vector Sigma, and enable his wisdom to be passed onto future generations. It became known as the Matrix of Leadership. Epistemus and Adaptus weren't so lucky. Mortilus reduced them down to a Brain module and a Transformation Cog respectively, but before they died they offered themselves up as blueprints so that future generations would have the intellect and adaptability to survive. Finally, since mortilus had been defeated, because Death himself had died, the Sparks of future generations would burn forever, immortal.

The generation of Cybertronians who first inherited these gifts, Sentience, Wisdom, Intellect, Change, and Immortailty, vowed to put them to good use, and set out into the galaxy to spread peace and happiness. This generation who left became known as the Knights Of Cybertron.

So then, do you think that it's merely an apocryphal story created to explain the evolution of Brain Modules, Transformation Cogs, long lives and the long forgotten creation of artefacts such as the Matrix and Vector Sigma?

Or were the Guiding Hand real? Did Primus truly create them from within himself as he created the Cybertronian race?

Were they real, in the sense that five Cybertronians of those names existed, great leaders who's names passed into legend and became... Something else over the millenia?

Is the concept merely a program inserted into the minds of Cybertronians by their true creators?

Also up for debate;

What exactly is Vector Sigma?

What are the origins of the Matrix? Was it really the prison of Solomus, or was it just an elaborate recording device to pass on the wisdom of leaders throughout the ages? Why does it have a star map inside it?

If they were real, what happened to Epistemus and Adaptus after they became stripped down? Is Epistemus' Brain Module still out there somewhere? (Could it be The Magnificence?) And Adaptus' Transformation Cog? Could the possessor of it gain access to unlimited modes?

How do you think the story of the Guiding Hand can be reconciled with that of the 13 Primes? Could they have been later creations of Primus to attempt to restore peace to Cybertron? or Could they have merely have been the leaders of 13 disparate and warring tribes who endeavoured to unite the planet by themselves only to be betrayed by one of their own?

Are there any other snippets of Transformers creation/religion that's been used in the past, in any continuity that the story of the Guiding Hand supports or contradicts?

2. gregles

gregles quintesson

I like your thinking here (ratchet would approve) with this logic you could input the quintesson or even the upgrade and evolution from organic that was slightly suggested as there actual creation on the early furman run, (I know the second is a stretch but primus and the five guiding hand could be the names of the companies making the upgrades merely confused over the centuries).

I love how in this continuity you can't know for certain, its a question of belief. If a later and probably inferior writer decides to elaborate on the tale of the guiding hand rather than leave them open to interpretation I will be really pissed and extremely disappointed.

3. dunerunner123

dunerunner123 Optipottamus prime

to be honest, the guiding hand isnt all that much different from the 13 when you think about it. The only thing that bothered me about the story was the fact that moonbase one was apparently destroyed before most cybertronians have even seen it, I always assumed that one day the moon just vanished out of thin air which imo would have made an excellent story. But besides that I actually like the idea of the guiding hand. However I have the feeling the guiding hand may be something else entirely, perhaps the story is the other way around where the heroic mortilus was fighting against the evil Primus adaptus and the others. Or maybe it has something to do with the quintessons? who knows

4. Irony

Irony fangirl

I think this is how IDW got around the lack of the Fallen? I mean, Arcee's backstory belonged to Dreamwave, and it was so copyright-protected that IDW cannot continue that story. If something similar happened to the Fallen, it would make sense to have a genesis-story that doesn't include him or his brothers (and sister).

Option B: The universe-traveling Fallen, being the ultimate traitor, decided he didn't want to be in the universe where traitor-hunters like DJD work.
    ((Awww, I would love a DJD vs Fallen showdown. DJD seems to have a lot more chance against "big ones" like Phase-sixers than against loosers like the scavenger team.))

5. Sockie

Sockie News Staff

News Credits:
    Dreamwave does not own the Fallen. If they did, we wouldn't be seeing him anywhere at all.

6. Irony

Irony fangirl

We see Arcee too.

7. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    I think that it's likely that there is a core of truth to it, but that it has been twisted over the years and turned into a myth, with the facts of what actually happened lost...For now.

I don't think it will be left a mystery either. I think this story will play a huge role of importance in both MTME and RID, based on various things.

8. Kraken

Kraken Is a vegiesaurus, Lex. Veteran

News Credits:
    Blimey, I'm surprisedthis thread didn't get more responses.

9. SG Roadbuster

SG Roadbuster SG Wrecker

News Credits:
    my theory on the matter is that the "Guiding Hand" could just be one of many Cybertronian faiths. take earth as an example, we have christians, jews, muslims, pagans, atheists, hindus, buddhist, taoists, wiccans, scientologists and so on. whos to say that cybertron isn't similar? we already know that they have atheists, the Guiding hand could be one groups beliefs, the Thirteen another, Quintesson creation another and so on?

10. Irony

Irony fangirl

Sounds good, SG Roadbuster. I like this option.