The Green Hornet: Seth Rogan, Jay Chou - Grade, Review, Discuss

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Captain Craig, Jan 14, 2011.

?

How do you grade The Green Hornet?

Poll closed Jun 14, 2011.
  1. A

12 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. B

9 vote(s)
    32.1%
  3. C

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. D

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  5. F

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Grade: B

The Green Hornet at its core follows a basic Hollywood template. The Straight Guy/The Badass. This movie at its core has the same "oddball" pairing as 48 Hours with Murphy/Nolte or Lethal Weapon with Riggs/Murtaugh. That is how I see this.

I really enjoyed the first and last acts of the movie. The opening minutes set the stage as adequately as most movies do for this type film. The scene with James Franco was fun. I caught the Bruce Lee nod in the movie but missed The Lone Ranger nod, it was credited in the closing credits. I enjoyed seeing James Edward Elmos as well, for a secondary character I enjoyed what his presence added to the film.

The last act of the movie plays like a good action movie with several good sequences strung together. I also liked how they opened it with a comic book panel style transition of getting the word out about the bounty on GH's head. There isn't a post credits scene for those who might be curious.

So where did I feel like the movie faultered to land in the 'B' range. The second act. After the good bonding in the first act we are led to believe that they are fighting over Cameron Diaz's character Lenore. She very clearly isn't interested in both yet we get this "brotherly quarrel" over her and a fight sequence about which of the two is the most important part of their duo.
    While a number of the quick one off jokes work in the movie(laughter in the right places at my viewing) there were 3-4 spots where a few quick fire things(shotgun affect is how I like to describe it) were said and the joke felt forced and didn't click.

Overall though I enjoyed it, saw it in 2-D, and think at minimum it's a good matinee of fun for 2hrs.

Should it get a sequel I think the character likely would've evolved and matured. The comedy toned down a few tads yet still have well timed comedic moments.

2. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    Loved it, funniest movie I've seen in a long time. Critics seem to hate it. 3D is pointless though, worth it only for a couple shots... and the credits.

3. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I just want to know if this really feels like the Green Hornet, or am I going to be watching Pineapple express with masks

4. Acid Wing

Acid Wing Senior Alien TF Member

News Credits:
    Enjoyed the movie much more than I expected. Fun, buddy flick. Kato and the Black Beauty vehicle steal the show.

5. G1Wheeljack

G1Wheeljack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I want to go see it, but my theater is only offering it in 3D & IMAX 3D* Seems like a good buddy movie though so I'll try & see it with some friends when they actually have some spare cash to drop on it.

*I do not hate nor am I opposed to the concept of 3D, but this is a movie that I do not wish to pay a premium to see, especially with post-converted 3D.

6. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

It's Pineapple Express with Masks and no weed. The film wasn't bad, but Rogen is Rogen doing little to escape his brand of humor.

And yeah, I'll echo that the 3D is pretty worthless. The few times used is pretty cool, but not really worth the price of admission.

7. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

watched it over the weekend and i was entertained. I will agree that 3D didn't add much effect but there were parts where it did warrant it. All in all, I would recommend it.

8. Captain Craig

Yeah, Pineapple Express is the best Rogan comparison in that its an action comedy minus the weed. Probably cause of the lack of that the jokes weren't heavy in the sexual manner often in these movies.

I'd also echo that 2-D is the way to see it, it is after all the way it was shot and intended for. I even told my theater manager I was hoping they always offer a 2-D option as I'm over the 3-D gimmick.

The Green Hornet won the MLK weekend with an estimated $40m haul.

9. Captain Craig

Anyone see this over the weekend?

It had another great weekend, finishing #2 with another $18m to its total for a domestic total of $63.4m in just 11 days.

It's still too early to tell but this could turn into another franchise.

10. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Do you mean Edward James Olmos?

11. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    I went in not expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. My only complaint was having to pay for an unnecessary 3D screening.

12. a person

a person Is not amused.

News Credits:
    Great movie! It's nothing like Pineapple Express.

13. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

I came out pretty entertained. A lot of wasted opportunities but was way better than what i expected.

14. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
    I dunno if I can stomach Jay Chou for that many minutes.

15. Captain Craig

^^^^
    I don't dislike Seth Rogan but he was over the top a few too many times in TGH but Jay Chou may be the best thing about the film. It's my first introduction to him but I understand he's a huge star in Japan and other Asian markets.

In the first 11 days the film has a domestic total of $63m + foreign of $37m = $100m in just under two weeks.

16. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Taiwan and China actually. Not really in Japan.

He's a huge star with the ego to go with it.

17. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

Stop Hatin man! we all need to stick together! :p 

18. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Says the man who wrecked me in the sexiest contest. That should've been a TIE! :p 

19. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    This movie was crammed full of genius ideas and lotsa win. Total sleeper hit. Vastly better than I was expecting. I don't want to oversell it, but damn it was good.

Wrong.

This was the first 2D conversion movie to really sell me on the technique. After sitting through that horribly converted Thor trailer, the conversions in this movie were right on the money. And Gondry is one of the first directors to really let loose his creativity with the technique. They even went back and reshot a bunch of scenes to take better advantage of the 3D. All that 'hornet-vision' stuff was completely designed for 3D and really used the medium for all it was worth.

Quite frankly this made far better use of 3D than anything I saw in the whole of last year.

20. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    As someone who knows little to nothing about the Green Hornet prior to this movie, I can safely say that it was stupid as hell. Seth Rogen acts like a cocky jackass, just like every single one of his other movies. Jay Chou was almost unbearable for me, I'm sorry but his acting was painful to watch. The only good part of this movie was Christopher Waltz, and the car (Black Betty?). Everybody else was okay I guess.
    I think two different lead actors would have made this much better for me. Throughout the entire movie I couldn't stop thinking how much I would have liked to see Michael C. Hall in the role of Britt Reid. Don't ask me why, I just like him a lot.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011