The Great War= Germanic Wars?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Spiderus Prime, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    If some why the Great War is kinda remide me of the Germanic Wars of the Roman Empire. Like Autobots are kinda like The Romans, but in way with the Prime as some means of the term of Emperor. How the Autobot/Decpeticon War is remind of?

2. GENOZAUR

GENOZAUR Banned

i can see that

3. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

I love you, Spiderus. Don't ever change.

4. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    Holy crap...Spiderus said something thought-provoking and logical!

THE WORLD IS ENDING!!

All jokes aside, I get what you're saying. Nice point. :) 

5. ORIO

ORIO Team Sentinel Prime Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Only you could make that comparison and phrase it so perfectly. :) 

6. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Well, while the parallels between the Cybertronian "empire" near its end as portrayed in the comics has been notably shaped to resemble the late Roman Empire: senates, corruption, gladiatorial fights, "energon-and-circuses", even names like "Senator Decimus" (I mean, come on!), the parallels do start to fall apart upon closer examination.

While the Decepticon uprising shown in several G1-related continuities has elements similar to the Germanic Wars of 113BC - 439AD, the root causes are somewhat different, as is the very nature of the participants.

In fact, I think one would need to move the timeline along to the 5th century, post-war era to get a more accurate parallel to Transformers.

Remember, in the real world, the Roman Empire expanded into what was then (to them) Germania to increase its territory, gain the vast resource riches of the Black Forest and other areas, and to "civilize" the "barbarians" (remember the origin of that word, had to do with not cutting one's hair).

The Germanic peoples, who at that point were mostly small to mid-sized tribes, had no central governmental structures. There had even been considerable language drift by the time to Romans first started to expand into their territory.

One of the most important things to remember is, the Germanic peoples moved first. France, Italy, and Spain were basically somewhat loosely "invaded" by Germanic tribes in the late 2nd Century BC. Consul Gaius Marius (who, I believe, turned into some sort of hovercraft) pushed them back.

The Germanic peoples did it again around 101BC and were pushed back again. These incursions were used as a semi-legitimate justification for the Roman Empire to expand into and "civilize" Germania.

I think the closest parallel you're really going to find, happened around 9AD.

Arminius was chief of a small Germanic tribe that were ostensibly Roman allies. Arminius had been a hostage in Rome when he was younger, and even became a cavalryman. He was used as an advisor to Publius Quinctilius Varus (now tell me that name doesn't sound Cybertronian - Varus.), but was secretly uniting several German tribes into a force to oppose Roman expansion.

In 9AD, he led the Germanic forces in the famous Battle of Teutoburg Forest. They won. I saw a documentary about this on The History Channel. Since he was a winner, Arminius managed to get some of the other Germanic tribes to form up into the "Germanicons" to oppose the Roman counterattacks he knew would be coming. But a lot of other tribes stayed allied with the Romans.

It got really nasty in 14AD, when Emperor Tiberius sent his nephew, Germanicus Prime (alt-mode of an armoured troop transport), to go root out the troublemakers. This would be the closest parallel to the "Great War" period. It was some brutal stuff. Back-and-forth, up and down the rivers, and heavy losses on both sides. In 16AD, the Romobots returned with a large force and managed to force the Germanicons to pull back beyond the Rhine, which Fortress Tiberius then declared the new border. It was a very workable solution for him, as it formed a natural border with strong supply lines.

I guess you can see Arminius as somewhat like Megatron in this circumstance, but the Germanic forces never did manage to make any real headway against Rome during this period. They were lucky they held the territory they did due to the fierce resistance thay managed to maintain for the period.

Wow...Spiderus came up with a decent topic.

- Coeloptera

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    What if the Decepticons were the Romans and the Autobots were the Germanic tribes, striking from remote wooded planets at a corrupt, oppressive empire?