The Great Thing About the 360 Isn't Buying the Console...

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Primevil, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Primevil

Primevil *Insert Witty Title Here*

Ebay:
    It's telling everyone online that I did. :D 

A few days ago, I decided it was finally the right time (with my birthday being today) to get a 360, because I wanted Rock Band. So, being a cheapskate and not planning to get lots of games immediately, I bought a 360 Arcade while my parents and sister got me Rock Band.

Unfortunately... the first week hasn't been all fun and games. I figured the 256 MB would be enough for profiles, game saves, etc until I saved up a bit more for a 60 GB hard drive. I hadn't anticipated the Dashboard Update and Mii Rip-Offs to take up HALF of what little I had.

And on top of that, the guitar in my Rock Band bundle (bought from Amazon because NOBODY has RB1 for 360 anymore) doesn't work. It wasn't the batteries, it wasn't the USB ports or hub, it was the guitar itself. Probably got busted in transit. Stupid UPS. I hadn't even started playing the game before I was on EA's support site to get a replacement.

However, I'm enjoying everything else about my 360. The collection of minigames that came with the 360 are satisfyingly addicting, and while tapping controller buttons in Sega Superstars Tennis isn't as fun as swinging a Wiimote, I enjoy it for its similarities to Mario Power Tennis. And while I can't play the guitar, I'm having fun learning the drums. If only I could work up the guts to do vocals.

So, for at least the next month, I'm on Live (Deaj3472). I'm strongly considering going to Amazon for the Live Starter Pack (unless something bad happens to that in the mail, too) once my paycheck comes in.

Also, a question for those of you on Live: Do you still play Halo 3? ;) 

2. Fwuzzy

Fwuzzy Banned

Shouldn't have chinced out on bundle. Harddrives seperate cost an arm and a leg.

Xbox is sweet though, I'll have to reactivate my Live account sometime.

3. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

Congrats, start adding some friends too your list.

4. Primevil

Ebay:
    All of my research shows me that the 60 GB hard drive is $100, the difference between the Arcade and Pro models. And the Live Starter pack I linked to has the 60 GB (plus a headset, and 3 months of Gold) for the same price. Not to mention free shipping. And part of my motivation for the cheaper model was having just made a monthly student loan payment last week (not that the expenses broke me, but it made my budget tighter).

I suppose I could have waited one more day for my paycheck and bought a Pro model tomorrow, but I wanted to actually play Rock Band on my birthday.

5. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

The guitar in Rockband 1 had many problems with breaking. Several of my friends had multiple occurances of that happening. Anyways congrats on the new system.

6. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Administrator

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Look for a used RB2 guitar. They can be had relatively cheaply and they are much more durable than the older ones.

7. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I usually play Halo 3 when everyone else is playing it, or I get an invite. I still havent finished (as in doing all the levels in order) Halo 3 while doing Co-op though. I've wanted to waste a saturday with some guys doing a marathon of that on Legendary and try to finish it in 1 day. :) 

Also, I've been in my single player gaming mood lately.

8. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

someone here mentioned it before, but the best thing about owning a 360 is the excitement, the rush of not knowing when it will rrod :) 

9. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Congrats on gettin' a 360. Yeah, I still play Halo 3 every chance I get. Send me a friend request, shoot me an invite, and I'll be more than happy to kick your ass in Slayer. :D  Bring it.

10. Primevil

Ebay:
    The Xplorer? I think the local Circuit City has some of them for $20 (unless the shelf tag was misprinted). There shouldn't be anything different about it besides being in an Activision box, right?

11. darkmgmstr

darkmgmstr Blue Lantern Corps Member

Congrats on buy a 360. I too do play Halo on a casual basis. Send me a friend's request and we can play online. Just of out curiosity for everyone, is there still a Halo 3 day going on in this place? It's been a while since I've heard any online gatherings for Halo.