The great Hard drive price increase

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by RedAlert Rescue, Nov 20, 2011.

1. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    Shame I didn't know that more recently they have only just gone up from £89.99 to £129.99 :
    WESTERN DIGITAL Elements External Hard Drive - 2TB buy online | Currys
    I'll see if I can find if anyone's got the old stock - as the model I wanted to buy looks like it's going to be replaced by a USB-3 version anyway.

Luckily I have an old 250gb one going spare and if the prices stay crazy I might consider buying an internal PC drive and an enclosure to convert it into an external drive and making one up myself.
    £89.99 is probably a lot more than that would cost to do anyway.

Just need something to store my TV shows on long term so it's not like I need to access it very often.

But this seems like an OK price £79.99 for 2 TB if Seagate drives are OK ?
    Buy Seagate 2TB External Hard Drive at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Portable hard drives.

Or there is this one :
    HP (bit shifty about HP though they have a bad rep for failing drives) : Buy HP Simplesave 2TB External Hard Drive at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for External hard drives.

This one looked like fun though it's a Hitachi one was £149.99 now £79.99 with a 7200 RPM 2TB Harddrive and a 4GB USB Key that sits in the front. If Hitachi is a reliable brand that is ?
    Buy Hitachi LifeStudio Desk Plus 2TB Hard Drive at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for External hard drives.
    pity it's out of stock just about everywhere.
    I need something to keep things like Tf Prime, Thundercats and the new series of Primeval on :) 
    Don't think I want to pay £130.00 for 2TB of Storage though.

EDIT I wonder what this one is like :£132.61 (Seagate STAC3000200 FreeAgent GoFlex Desk; 3TB; 32MB; 7200RPM; 3.5''; USB 2.0; Black (STAC3000200)) Seagate STAC3000200 FreeAgent GoFlex Desk; 3TB; 32MB; 7200RPM; 3.5''; USB 2.0; Black (STAC3000200) - 247electrical - Free Delivery on Everything !!!
    That's only £44.20 per TB then.

2. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Yeah, im in the middle of building a new PC, was looking at a hard drive that was 179 with 40 bucks off, could'nt buy it then, and the next week boom, it went up to 260 bucks. Just gonna reformat the 500gig i'm using now and use a SSD for a boot/ main programs drive.

3. simond

simond Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You're lucky, my work buys a large quantity of 3tb drives and the prices of the enterprise versions of them has I think more than doubled if you can even get hold of any!

4. Bovril

Bovril Critical Miss!

I'm paying less than ever for HDDs and I exclusively use WD drives. The places you linked all have massive mark-ups.

Buy from eBuyer or DABS.com - problem solved.

5. Hot Rod

Hot Rod Scared of posts in Bold

6. cobra zartan

cobra zartan Think's He's a Detective.

News Credits:
    I work for a computer store in my ctiy and our suppliers are limiting two drives at a time to all of their clients. Hope they get things back to normal soon.

7. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

Hate to say it, but they're projecting 9-12 months.