The great "GEEWUN" debate...

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KWFlange, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Furious Rodimus

Furious Rodimus Matrix Bearer

I try not to worry about it. I'm primarily a fiction guy, I've got some of the toys, but mostly just of my favorite characters from the fiction and the ones I had as kid.
    I don't like every episode or every issue that's ever been put out, but I try to read it/watch as much as I can and watch each series based on its own merits. That doesn't mean I haven't formed my own opinions on it though. For example:
    I think James "Brad Mick" McDonough (sp?) had some of the best plots and dialogue going in the Dreamwave ongoing saga, and i would like to have seen them continued b/c he was obvisouly going somewhere huge with them.
    Masterforce (along with Beast Wars) has done one of the best jobs of all the fiction of keeping the cast small and developing the characters over the course of the series.
    IDW tells good stories but I'm a little done with time skips at this point.
    The new movies are pretty decent 'gateway' fare for news fans with enough to nods to the old stuff to keep the fans interested. (For you metal fans think of Hammerfall-esque).
    I don't know what I am. I just enjoy Transformers.

2. TF rocks

TF rocks Try and stop me! Studio Trigger for Transformers!

One, I like all series due to being a fan in general. That includes G1. The only series I did not like was Beast Machines. Two, I don't believe that there is enough support to form a 'conspiracy' group. And three (This is for all hard-line G1 fans)...GET OVER IT! That stuff about G1 'being the best' and 'being the only series for TF' is just a bunch of elitist crap! If TF was only G1, gues what...? We wouldn't even have TF, as it would have died out long ago! So do not bash the other continuities for 'not being G1'! Get PAST it already!

That's my :2c: 

3. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ

News Credits:
    My Answers are in bold.
    1. Not a Geewunner myself.
    2.No. G1 was in the 80's. TF series must constantly reinvent themselves to keep the attention of the fans.
    3.Dislike A/E/C
    4. Geewunners think that G1 is the be all end all of Transformer TV Shows.
    5.No. Fans are passionate about the Shows and feel the need to pressure the producers of such shows to include various nods to past series such as G1 and BW.

TF fans are notorious for judging something before they see it. Just my 2 cents.

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    And for them, it is. So why not get over that.

5. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

You failed to answer the questions.
    1. Since you do not like G1 (this means the question was directed at you) have you ever been accused of only disliking the Unicron trilogy (since you do not like it) only because it is not G1?
    2. Obviously they change things to keep them fresh, but can the new things suck based on writing, animation, dubbing etc? Or are you just saying that they suck because they are not G1, and because you dislike G1...you hate all Transformers?
    3. Since you did not list likes, maybe the latter is the case.
    4. So you answered Yes to this? (my evidence is your answer)
    5. So you are infact denying the conspiracy because you are at the head of it....gotcha =)

j/k but seriously did you read the questions?

6. KWFlange

KWFlange You're So Jelly

At least the other guy tried to answer the questions. You're just trolling to flame. But I still love you =)

@bellpeppers - You tend to type things that pop into my head...maybe we should link up headmaster style kekeke.

EDIT: For some reason this new round of people seems to think that this thread is either a PRO or ANTI-G1 thread.
    It is not. This is just for your opinions, it is not LETS ATTACK G1 or I'D BETTER DEFEND <ENTER CONTINUITY HERE> time. This is just questions for some insight. No one is attacking anything new and I don't think there has been one (serious) post yet which said "G1 is the best and the rest sucks", so why do you have to try to derail a neutral thread? Have fun with it and speak your mind in a civil way =)

7. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You're totally right that G1-isolationists (exclusionists? exclusiveists? I'm looking for a word besides the obvious label, which I'd love to avoid) are a minority today, albeit a vocal one. I think basically everyone has agreed that for many, G1 represents the series they made a connection with, and the one that established for them what Transformers is and should be. I was more interested in my comment as to whether or not the group of people that get lumped together in that certain category were as homogenous philisophically as they tend to be portrayed as, or if the people who really take offense to their views would be similarly homogenous. You doubt it, and so do I, but it'd be interesting to investigate.

You're completely right about Animated, and I too thought it was a great example of how the key concepts of Transformers can be refreshed for new audiences and old fans alike. I wish we saw something like every time, with new characters (or at least new interpretations), new ideas, and new styles.

I think it IS interesting that we've see our first "flame" post from an anti-G1 standpoint. Why do you people think that is? Relative sizes of the two groups? Age, perhaps? Or some other reason altogether?

8. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    N/A. I prefer G1.

Absolutely. Bad writing is bad writing, no matter its relation to the original.

From what I've seen:

G1 - Preferred. Mostly because I watched it as a kid, and the warm glow of nostalgia doesn't fade. I find I like Star Blazers for the same reason - it's cheesy as hell, but it brings back memories of sitting in front of the TV with a bowl of Cheerios before school. This is cartoon show G1, BTW, not the Marvel comics. I collected a few of those, but never formed a special attachment to them - I remember very little about them, mostly the issue where Megatron was locked in gun mode and used by a crook. I think I wanted it to be more like the TV show, so it didn't interest me much.
    Beast Wars - Meh. I need to watch more of it I think, just need to find the time. But I think I lean towards "Trukk not Monkey". Not disparaging it, just not my cup of tea.
    Animated - Haven't seen the entire run, but I've really enjoyed the episodes I've watched. It's a different take on old characters, and doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. I love Blitzwing, Bumblebee, and keep expecting to see Starscream and Bulkhead go jelly-fishing :D . Seriously, if the seasons were still at retail, I'd snap them up.
    Prime - From what I've seen, I like it. I like the new direction Starscream (my favorite TF of all time) is being taken in, as well as Arcee, and of course Ratchet. Optimus Prime and Megatron are like two old friends, and I really don't want to see them change. Bulkhead and Bumblebee ain't so bad either, and Soundwave is an enigma. I'd like to see an episode focusing on him. And the darker tone of the show is welcome.
    Movies - Dislike. I did like the first movie more than I thought I would, but I really didn't have high expectations for it. And it was fun to see a big screen, live action Transformers movie. However, the movie aesthetics never struck a chord with me - my fanboy glee at seeing a streaking Starscream in F-22 mode turned to a "WTF is that?" moment seeing him in bot mode. The second movie did nothing to change my opinons. But, to each their own. If you like the movies, the movie TFs and the movie toys - more power to you. One man's trash is another man's treasure.
    IDW Comics - I've read All Hail Megatron, Stormbringer, Ongoing, and Infiltration. I don't find them to be too bad (AHM was best), although I wondered about the first few issues of Ongoing.

I'm not sure, but I'm still rather new to the community so my opinion really isn't fully formed yet.

I doubt it. What would the point of undermining the original continuity be? If I'm not mistaken, every continuity since G1 has built on G1, and so wouldn't this be an attempt to undermine everything?

9. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Beast Wars came and went. Armada came and went. So did a lot of other Transformer stuff, good and bad.

There's no longer any need to feel threatened by any of it. G1 continues to endure. And even if it doesn't last forever, at this stage I've almost had my fill of all the nostalgia.

I like the approach seen with newer continuities, like Animated and WFC, where they draw from G1, they tip the hat to G1, but they still manage to keep it fresh do their own thing. That's how it should be. G1 shouldn't be discarded, but it shouldn't become a straitjacket. It should be a treasure-trove of concepts, ideas, characters and settings, to dip into, to build on. There's room for new ideas and characters too.

10. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Heh... it sometimes gets me into trouble tho ;) 

But look at Aernaroth's post. I think I'll have some fun with it:

The isolationists? exclusionists? exclusiveists? You mean... the guerilla GEEWUNNERS? Those G-Party Patriot extremists that all meet at commando compounds with the Autobot flag waving overhead?

These guys drive their Ford Rangers into the brush and wear camoflage make-up, all the while holding their Pepsi Primes and Walther P-38 Megatrons practicing their wargames.

Yeah, you gotta watch out for them- they're bound to do something terrible to a school of kids for not playing with unarticulated bricks manufactured in 1984 and instead choose to play with Movie or Animated figures.

1- I'm a fan of G1. I grew up with it, so I don't think that this question applies to me. However, I have been accused of not liking something else because it wan't GEEWUNNY enough, even tho it was unlikable by its own merits.

2- Absolutely. But, to each his own. One man's trash is another man's treasure... or at least that's how it should be.

3- I liked G1... altho it doesn't hold up as well thru the eyes of a 40 year old like it did a 12 year old. Beast Wars was the Pinnacle of Transformers storytelling... altho Prime might take that position. We'll see. Did not like Beast Machines. RID was alright... then... but I have my doubts now. 1 or 2 episodes each or A / E / C was enough to deter me from watching. Didn't watch Animated- couldn't get past the art / animation style. Besides, it was a little too kiddy for me. Maybe if it came along about 6 years earlier... maybe not. Dig the movies, even tho I have some issues with the robot designs. Not a fanboy, but a fan. PRIME's off to a good start.

Comics- LOVED Dreamwave's Transformers comics- primarily for the art. Too bad they evaporated. IDW pushed me away... but brought me back with AHM. I started with TF: Ogoing, but the idea of a $5 comic for a 5 minute read turned me off... but Megatron's re-appearance is bringing me back... plus I have the back issues on hold. I'll give it another go-around.

4- Oh, HELL YES. I dunno if people are, somehow, threatened by it... or G1's fans... I dunno. I like what I like and dislike what I dislike- all for my own reasons, which do not in any way shape matter or form need to meet the approval of others. So I cannot figure out why my dislike of someone else's like seems to affect them so much. Their dislike of my like doesn't affect me... so why does mine affect them?

5- An organized campaign? No- that's giving them too much credit.
    Sometimes, they have to justify their own objects of slavering fanboy love by tearing down G1. This usually comes fromn the movie crowd, not as much from the Animated crowd

However, it is all to often that the only way people can elevate themselves is by tearing down others.

"I like it... so therefore you shall too!"

Asking that is like asking why the sun chose to come out this morning of all mornings.

11. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    To be honest, there are crackpots in every corner of the fandom... but unlike others, I think they are all entitled to their opinions. No one person's reason- no matter how outlandish it might be to you or me- is no better or worse than someone else' whose might resonate more with you or me.

People shouldn't really need to meet the approval of others.

12. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    I can agree with some of this, but there are plenty of cases where someone's opinion can be wrong. We've all seen/heard opinions where someone was just shooting off their mouth without anything to back up their argument. Assumptions, subjectivity, conjecture, or statements lacking factual support, sources or documentation may indeed be someone's personal opinion, but it certainly does not make them right.

Here's just one example from here on TFW where a fan stated that everyone hated Transformers Animated, and furthermore that there was "a world of people out there who think that Animated is pure garbage and won't watch it."

I countered with this thoroughly-researched rebuttal:

http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/trans...feelings-towards-animated-14.html#post1957910

You may be entitled to express your opinion (unless you live in a repressed country), but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's a correct one.

Heck, if malformed, half-witted, moronic opinions didn't exist, we wouldn't have prejudice, racism, critics, politicians or lawyers. And forums wouldn't be much fun either. Without something to debate or argue about and put someone else in their place, some of us wouldn't know what to do with our time.

13. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    G-Party :lolol  I am so using that.

Oh man, there are several times when I've wanted to say that but haven't been in the mood to fight the backlash. There has been an obsession with the idea that everyones opinion is valid and equal.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

It seems like every long running franchise runs into some spat between old fans and new fans. There was the whole Trekkie vs Trekker thing. The really good Star Wars films vs the Jar Jar films. James Bond fans get rather heated about which Bond era was the best.

Most new fans are really good about respect for the past fans while embracing the new stuff. But some new fans aren't exactly respectful and think the franchise only belongs to them now, so throw out the old fans. I think that is where some of the conflict comes from. Throw in a handful of old fans that can't accept any change and it blows up into a fan fight even though most fans would get along without a few bad apples fanning the flames.

15. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    Count me as one of them.
    As far as I'm concerned, the only time an opinion can be "wrong" is if someone says something equive,ent to "it is my opinion that the moon is made of cheese".

Aside from that, opinions are an extension of preference.

16. 46+2

46+2 Well-Known Member

QFT.

17. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

I think your far too generous with your scale.

I think everyone is entitled to their opinions equally , but I dont subscribe to the idea that every opinion is equal.

Altho my position on that has changed over the years.

18. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    Agreed.

19. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Haven't you seen Wallace & Gromit's "A Grand Day Out"? Duh! The moon is made of cheese.

It's just so old that it turned into inedible rock.

Dark of the Moon's original plot had a spaceship crash-landing there because it was sent to harvest the cheese as an offering to Unicron so he would spare Cybertron. Unicron wished to spread it on smaller planets and moons...to give them a little more flavor.

But the moon was guarded closely by the Krafticons: a rogue Decepticon splinter cell whom Shockwave had secretly commissioned to build a vast Crackercon army to conquer Cybertron.

But this storyline was deemed too similar to the main plot of Star Wars: Episodes 1-3, so they decided to cut the cheese.

20. bellpeppers

News Credits:
    So, it is your opinion that not every opinion is equal. Do you wish to maintain that opinion?

Now, I am sure you were ready for the obvious question: if you feel that everyone is entitled to opinions equally, and that not every opinion is equal... do we suggest that not every person is equal?