The great DLC debate

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by transtrekkie, Aug 21, 2012.

1. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

No, not THAT one, we already have a thread for that. The debate I'm talking about is how should DLC be handled and/or released? I see a lot of complaining about how HMS has a $10 DLC pack right out the gate, but I have to ask, what exactly do you want HMS to do? Are we really expecting video game companies to wait several months until after the game is released and spend that extra time and money to create new DLC to be added later? Like adding levels to an existing game or extra characters or what have you? It seems like they could put that time and resources to better use by developing the next game. I really don't see the problem with having extra content available right from the start. With WFC, everyone bitched and moaned that the extra characters weren't available for everyone right away and now this time we have that and... we're still bitching? Really? How should this be done to make everyone happy? Are there examples of games out there that have handled DLC well and what are those?

This is not a wish list thread, but is to debate how DLC should be handled in general

2. Smashs

Smashs Internet: Pure Truth Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I feel there should never, ever be release day DLC.

My problem with the WFC DLC was that the pre-order characters were supposed to be a bonus for people who, you know, pre-ordered.

I think for the DLC that is available now they should have waited at least 30 days(preferably 60), then released the 5 character skins, and 2-3 maps for $10. That goes for pretty much any game that has release day DLC.

3. scoobsterinc

scoobsterinc Scoobs

News Credits:
    I wish people would stop blaming high moon when activision probably forced them to release the DLC

4. StarYoshi14

StarYoshi14 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Price should be drastically reduced. I bought a 60 dollar game, with tons of levels, characters, challenge, and multiplayer replayability. This game itself comes with many, many new models that are in the 60 dollar package. 5 character models for 10 dollars is ludicrous when compared to how much stuff I get for 60 dollars.

5. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It doesn't bother me at all. Most DLC is generally created while they are making the main game anyway. It seems a little silly to release it launch day, but whatever the people who were going to buy it are going to regardless if it was today or 3 months from now.

6. Optimatron

Optimatron Autobot

I want more characters and parts for multiplayer. I need Sunstreaker, Mirage, Tracks, Bluestreak, Prowl, Trailbreaker and a whole slew of other G1 characters.

I will gladly buy it all.

7. Reaper Cloud

Reaper Cloud Dark Wrecker

News Credits:
    1. NO DAY 1 GARBAGE! This is clearly an excuse to get more than the 60 dollars you've already spent.

2. NO DLC for 60 days. After that, any new characters should be price set at 1 dollar per character. Packs of 5 would be 4 dollars to entice people to get more than 1. Maps of any type would range from 2-3 dollars, depending on their size. Weapons would be sold in packs of 10 and cost 2.50, with all 10 weapons being different.

3. NO DLC ON DISC! That's right, it ALL has to be NEW content. So instead of making a game being available at 75% unlocked content, with 25% locked away for future wallet raping...it would ALL BE available to the consumer, with new items being created AFTER the game is in stores.

4. New side quests would be 10-15 dollars, depending on length to complete. Best example of this would be the "Zombie Nightmare" game add-on for Red Dead Redemption, or the two side stories for "GTA IV."

5. Here's one that would make Publishers shit their pants, lol. Once a game has had its final DLC item uploaded, it has a year to continue charging for the items. Once it hits one year and one day...ALL DLC is now free. That's right. So if someone buys "Title X," and it's been over a year since any new DLC has been made/uploaded...they can download everything for free.

6. ANY Publisher who has pulled this "On Disc" DLC crap would be punished by having to release three titles of their choice with free DLC content to make up for their stealing of money. It can't be lame titles either, AAA or AA titles.

8. transtrekkie

Man there are some interesting responses to this. I'm with Batman mostly, but then again I come from the beginning days of video games back when we had Pong. That's right kiddies! Two lines and dot made for hours of fun! And there was no internet or DLC or anything. So now that we have that I guess I'm just so amazed at what we have compared to what we started with that I can't really complain.

Also, how is on-disk DLC any different than unlockable content like games used to have? Like unlocking extra characters in Mortal Kombat if you do the right move or press the right button at the right time? It's still part of the game that's not immediately playable.

9. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    Is it that big a deal? You don't like it, don't buy it - that simple.

10. GRIML0CK

GRIML0CK I despise Optimus Prime.

My complaint is that it isn't considered DLC in my book. They should've given us a feel for the game first instead of bribing us with this DLC right off the bat. If they gave it a month and threw in a few maps, bonus missions and escalation maps i'd feel more comfortable with my purchase knowing my money is going to a good cause and will keep me satisfied for awhile.

11. transtrekkie

Well yeah that's the sensible course of action with this but I guess the point of the thread was more of a philosophical debate on how it should be done in response to all the complaining I saw in the other thread. Kinda like saying "Oh yeah, well how would YOU do it then?" but y'know, like I'm actually interested in the answers.

12. Decitron

Decitron The Heavy

The question comes when there is either disc-locked content or day one DLC; is the developer trying to ship the game in the best, most content loaded state they can, or do they try and make sure more people buy the addon content and ensure that a larger chunk of their buyers spend the extra cash?

I for one am in the school of thought that day one DLC and disc-locked content is uncouth, or even borderline extortion in the case of disc-locked content (which I don't think is an issue here, so I'll leave that go), and that DLC should come AFTER the game has shipped so the dev can add things in they either COULDN'T due to time or financial constraints, or what they came up with after the game was released, for which, I would like a well rounded content pack for the money, which I am happy to pay. This means maps, character skins, and campaign DLC in any mix, and not simply cosmetic DLC.

There is, however, the (from my point of view) sad fact, that as a game gets older, fewer and fewer people will play it, or care to get any DLC pertaining to that game. I'm sure we all have a game that we love(d), and had DLC come out some time after we moved on to other games. I don't think a great many of us all got that DLC, or went back and played it. I'm not saying such is ALWAYS the case, I and what I'm sure is a good few of those reading this have all had that one or two experiences where we went back for something particularly special (Perhaps that last WFC DLC?), and while internet interest groups like ourselves are a good bet to go back for such a thing with our respective games pertaining to the very thing we love, we are only a small part of the larger audience needed to make a game successful in the modern video game market.

I suppose I went against my own side a bit by buying the content pack, but I feel like there are nuances to it, even if I can't grasp at what they are (or if there even are any), regarding it being part of a merchandise-driven franchise, some strange rift in the balance between art and business ethics.

13. Downshift-1307

Downshift-1307 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If Wheeljack wasn't in the pack I most likely would not of bought the pack.
    I just could NOT miss out on him at all.

14. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    Personally I'd eschew DLC entirely and just make a whole slew of unlockables you can get by actually playing the game. i.e. Play x level with y character in z difficulty to unlock w character; Go do a hidden sidequest in a particular level; Use this character in that mode this many times; etc. Kinda like Achievements or whatever, but you actually get something usable. So much to do it'd take a few weeks to get it all.

I suppose a cheat code-esque DLC that unlocks stuff for those too impatient or unable to do so "properly" could work, but only if they have the option of buying individual unlocks. I sure as hell don't want to get stuck on just one or two "impossible" tasks and have to buy a whole damn bundle.

15. transtrekkie

What if there is no disk? A little over a year and a half ago, my house was broken into and my 360 was stolen. When I replaced I had to replace WFC too since the bastards got that as well. Well after returning two blank disks to Target (they were in the unopened game boxes), I decided to just purchase the game directly through XBL. So I don't actually have a disk for WFC, it's just on the hard drive.

16. Rexidus

Rexidus Autobot TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think games to it fine now and people are just greedy spoiled children. There are extremely logical reasons why things happen as they do. I've tried to explain them but people ignore it and continue on throwing their tantrums.

17. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I like this post here.

I'm not a DLC person, it's mostly bull$#!+ for way too much money anyway.

However, I am interested in additional missions. If HMS makes missions with unused characters, showing their experiences, I'll be all over that! 5 skins for $10 isn't for me. I'll probably pick them up when they go on sale though--I guess we now know what happened to all the missing store exclusives:lol 

18. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I don't think people are being greedy/spoiled as much as they're just so used to how games were before all this extra buyable content became commonplace. In the past, once you bought a game that was it, no further purchases ever (except for sequels). Nowadays once you buy a game you often have to spend even more just to use what's technically already on the disc. That's a pretty radical shift that can't help but sound a little skeevy, so you have to understand if some people just won't accept it.