The Gran Turismo 5 Prologue Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by ShortCircuit, Oct 1, 2007.

1. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

2. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

yeah...Turismo is the only racing simulation i can play...tried the rest and nothing comes close.

3. Soundwarp

Soundwarp Next victim please TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Hammmmmm

I like!

4. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

Until it has damage that affects what your driving, its only a DRIVING Simulator, not Racing.

5. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

i ddi read somewhere that the intend to put damage models in this gt.

but i did like it the old way, i never had to brake, just bounce off the other cars to slow down.

6. ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit Decepticon

The two things I believe it has going for it is the driving is kinda more realistic than others, and the graphics are always nice on GT games. And I usually wreck the controller after failing to pass the licence sequences lawl.

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

It does. Too bad most of it isn't actual gameplay footage.

8. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Did they fix that in this version of the game?
    I gave up on Gran Turismo because I got tired of its being touted as the ultimate in realistic racing yet the best way to take a corner is to carom off another car.

No only does your car suffer no damage, you actually get a better racing line from it.

9. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't like damage because in the end, that's what burnout and Forza and Gotham are for. I want a car-lover's game where my cars will still look good even if I make a small mistake in a race. Besides, the games that have done damage do a piss-poor job of it. Deformation of polygons with tearing and stretched textures do not reflect what real car damage looks like, so it ends up succeeding at niether, with the exception of just claiming that there is car damage. Since I'm looking at near-photo realistic vehicles (everything in that footage is real-time, and the gameplay footage in GT has always looked as good), I'd rather them just look beautiful on the track, than peices of pologonal deformation. Even if they had the option I wouldn't use it.

10. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Have you played the current GTHD available on PSN? The gameplay graphics are extremely realistic. The replays are even more so.

11. smangerbot

smangerbot The Holy Zombie Jesus TFW2005 Supporter

the gt ad i saw on the ps store a few weeks ago was using actual gameplay footage. suck it whoever says it ain't.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    What it is is that the camera angles in the replay as well as some of the post effects can give that illusion, and the gameplay doesn't look as dynamic when you're behind the wheel, but Polyphony wouldn't spend all those man-hours creating different models for the replay and the racing. It's all in game, but much like Halo 3... Take that camera, use the Zoom lense, and you see a completely different, almost cinematic look to the image.... something that would not be used in the game because you'd crash into everything... imagine driving a car looking through binoculars at full zoom. So the replays look nicer because the camera is far back but zoomed into the action... Everything in that trailer was RT.

13. Savanna

Savanna Want to Touch my Wankel?

The PGR and Burnout don't have a damage system that actually affects your car. They just get beat up.

Forza does have a damage system, not just looks. If I hit someone in the front left side of my car and its more than just tap, I want the damage on the parts to build up. The Pro Race Driver/TOCA series also did an amazing job with there damage system, and there are more than a few PC only races that have done the same.

Also, if you give someone elses car a little lave tap in the 3 games you mentioned you normally dont get a single mark on your car.

I myself like have damage modeling on the outside, even if it doesnt look as realist as it could be for one main reason. If you have any Part or Body damage, it just shows you how bad your driving, or in some case's how many chances you take agianst AI or people online. Then agian online people might ram you for on purpose and all that gets thrown out. Come out clean on thsoe guys, and usually the driver is pretty dam good.

14. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I normally don't hit other on GT, unless they slam on their breaks to take curves that my car is customized to take at higher speeds. But the small accidents do happen sometimes (I ain't that good), and I save a lot of my replays, and I'd hate to have a clean race, looking beautiful on that replay and then come in for a finish witha busted headlight. That's just me, because I love the beauty of cars and I don't like to see them dented, unless I'm playing something more arcady like Forza and Gotham (Forza being more realitstic, by a long shot, but still under the impression that cars overstear when you turn too much in my direction). My Celica in GT handles exactly the way it does in real life, as does my 300Zx. In Forza you are having to constantly recenter yourself because it's almost as if evem the newer cars were brought in without powersteering.

But anyway, for those who like damage, I hope Polyphony includes it. I will just keep it off for the same reason I enjoy the fakesness of women's wrestling... They don't look as good all scratched up and bloody.

15. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I am not really as concerned with the damage modelling as I am with banking of other cars on the inside lane of a turn.
    It just seems out of place to have all these algrothyms effecting tire grip and brake pressure when all semblance of real life physics is gone when you bank off another car to make a sharp turn.
    That is the one thing I want to see addressed -maybe it had been. I don't know.

The damage in PGR is purely cosmetic and Burnout doesn't even attempt at being realistic.

I still think its funny in PGR 2 when you would go up a level during a race and you would get this dramtatic fly by of your car -even if it was a twisted wreck.

16. Codimus Prime

Codimus Prime Missouri Toy Hunter

I love Gran Turismo. I've been playing since GT1. Recently got addicted to GT4. Wish it had Pikes Peak for rally (GT2, I think).

I really like some of the little additions in GT4...
    B-Spec mode FTW.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Unfortunately, with Proloue you can't tell quite yet if it's been addressed, because it's a solo race against time, and a drifting race, but Prologue 5 is coming to the PSN free this year and I think it has multicar racing, so we should find out of they addressed that or not. If they haven't, I'll hit them.

Hell yeah, I love farming money in Bspec. I have a nice little Skyline that rips some of the Japanese races, and I just set it to agressive until it passes ever other racer, then I set it to the relaxed driving, and go make a sandwhich. I wish Sony would just open the door on Remote Play using the PSP to control games on the PS3... They could just put a disclaimer that not all games will work well and "play at your own risk" I could B-Spec GT4 from work. Or Barbie Horse Adventure B-Spec from work FTFW!

18. b_ack51

b_ack51 I'm on the interweb!

Too bad the actual gameplay still looks amazing, if you haven't played it I wouldn't say bad things about it. It is definately a great looking game.

19. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

F430 for the win!!!

20. gil

gil Godmaster

I heard they don't do damage because it's part of the contracts they have with the car companies. Maybe some companies don't care, but other's don't want a game where their cars get wrecked. So, they could either: 1. include all the different companies and only have certain cars get damaged. 2. get rid of the car companies that don't want their cars to get damaged. or 3. include all the different companies and forget about damage.