The good old days vs today

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Cosmic Rust, May 18, 2010.

1. Cosmic Rust

Cosmic Rust Oldskool Bot

Ebay:
    Soooooo today i have been thinking about the Good old days of Transformers toys. While playing with the TRU Arcee i felt disappointed with its weight and quality. I am happy with the robot design and love Arcee but it is light as hell and like all late 1990s-now Transformers it falls apart easily at the joints. I started fiddling with my original G1 Tracks and am just so much happier with the Oldskool toys. G1 toys were heavy, sturdy, and look better. They do not fall apart and look ore realistic. It saddens me that with all the progress in materials & technology in past 25 years that the toy quality dropped.

The thing is that even the cheapie figures from the 80s like the cassettes are higher quality. They look and feel better. I have never broken a G1 toy but in past 3 years i have broken no less than 4 newer figures. G1 figures rarely fell apart in transformation. They were engineered while new stuff are cobbled together. The only exceptions are the takara stuff that are brought over like the masterpiece toys.

I have only 2 Transformers ROTF figures. Those do not impress me . Is it just me or has the design and materials really fallen so much?

2. Alejandro27

Alejandro27 Well-Known Member

I Am there with you on the quality, I can fiddle and trasnsform my G1 toys all day, but my movie toys seems so fragile and so many small parts that always pop off.

3. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    toy quality has not dropped. the plastic used now is actually much higher quality. parts are designed to pop off opposed to breaking (and can then be put back on). they can actually move. nothing is "cobbled together".

modern toys are lighter for the same size because they don't use diecast anymore, which had massive problems with paint chipping off, less molded detail, and the metal would wear down on the plastic parts it was connected to.

G1 toys were "sturdier" because they were made of far fewer parts, and were much simpler in construction.

as for how things look, that's personal opinion.

if parts are falling off every time you handle your figure, I suggest re-evaluating how you handle them. the only parts that fall off my transformers with any degree of regularity is 07 concept camaro bumblebee's left yellow shoulder pad, and universe galvatron's left arm. that's it.

4. Hyperoptic

Hyperoptic G1-Junkie

News Credits:
    Bricks fo EVAAAARRR!!!
    [​IMG]

5. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    I think new toys are designed to give a bit... as opposed to breaking like the old ones. That right there is a great feat of engineering.

6. Tiller

Tiller I don't know nothin'

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This. The designs of today's figures incorporate much much MUCH more features than G1 toys did such as articulation, fine detail to design, and other gimmicks that require much more engineering involved. Newer stuff is made to pop off at parts so that you don't actually break the figure, and many times the thinner joints are there to compensate for articulation and design. Meanwhile, older toys and G1 often just had joints for transformation, and that was it. Leg joints were almost non existent, and you can't compare brick legs to articulate legs since the brick is overall going to be more study cause it's designed not to do anything else, such as bend or be posed.

As for looking more realistic, you can toss up a debate between early G1 (lol late G1 realistic...) and Movie stuff, but looks are entirely subjective. You can't really compare Animated for example to realistic vehicles since the designs are stylized on purpose.

7. Cosmic Rust

Cosmic Rust Oldskool Bot

Ebay:
    I have never broken a G1 toy. Newer stuff is more fragile. Yes G1 were not articulated like action figures but they held up better. My Bludgeon broke in 2 days. And yes late G1 were not realistic but those were all hasbro USA early 1990s designs during cheap years. Look what they did with GI Joe in same years =(

8. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    How did you break bludgeon? That toy is rock solid. Maybe you cant handle the more complicated transformations?

9. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Hasbro and Takara. and... cheap years? early 90's? G1 stopped using realistic alt modes at 86.

breaking bludgeon, well, if it's his fingers, I can understand that. if it's not, I am absolutely confused.

as for your complaints about newer toys... yeah. maybe more complex transformers just arent for you?

10. Cosmic Rust

Cosmic Rust Oldskool Bot

Ebay:
  11. Rattrap Primal

Rattrap Primal Geek Overlord

I prefer Articulation to bricks

12. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I broke G1 Jazz the second time I transformed it. I hardly think the newer toys have a monopoly on breaking.

13. Cosmic Rust

Cosmic Rust Oldskool Bot

Ebay:
    The Masterpieces are Quality & Articulated. Bricks with joints =)

14. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    I used to be one of these "NEW TOYS CAN'T BE COOL COS THEY WEREN'T THE STUFF I GREW UP WITH" guys, until I actually -bought- some of the new toys. Then I realized, that it costs far less to buy a new toy than it does to look for an old one on ebay, and I wasn't really -getting- anything for the higher prices of old toys. They cost more, but they're a good deal smaller, and less complex.

I'll admit, the 84/85 Diaclone guys do, even after all these years, have better looking vehicle modes than today's toys (the Alternators are the only line that have managed to beat them in the realism department. Despite the fact that movie toys and Classics/Universe are also based on real vehicles, they still look like toys when I see them). But the newer toys offer more than just good vehicle modes. They pay homage to the originals, but expand on them with greater detail and the ability to do more than just be statues on a shelf.

15. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I broke tons of G1 toys as a kid. megatron, optimus, sideswipe, prowl, inferno, kickback, shrapnel, soundwave, hot rod, ultra magnus, grimlock, swoop, aerialbots, bristleback (surprisingly, his wing), hubcap, scorponok...

No. They are not bricks. brick is a term that is given to toys that don't have much (if any) articulation.

16. Cosmic Rust

Cosmic Rust Oldskool Bot

Ebay:
    I'm not saying new toys aren't cool. Its just the quality. i love the Alternators line.
    The toys just are light, Arcee is way too light.

17. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    Is being light a bad thing? I sure wish I could drop a few dozen pounds ;) 

18. Cosmic Rust

Cosmic Rust Oldskool Bot

Ebay:
    If the pounds are in the right place.

Like Prime's feet XD

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    because she isnt weighed down with expensive diecast metal that causes extreme wear and tear on plastic parts it connects to, has problems with paint chipping off, and causes horrible balance problems on toys with articulation.

lighter doesnt mean it's of less quality.

go pick up a titanium figure some time.

20. Cosmic Rust

Cosmic Rust Oldskool Bot

Ebay:
    Have you held Arcee? She is way too light for a plastic toy that size. A figure that big should weigh more. i have had Happy Meal toys with more substance. Blacarchnnea (sp) is roughly same size and weighs much more. I have more faith in that figure not breaking.