The Golden Discs Are Real!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Squishy, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I learned about this in high school too (almost 10 or so years ago now) and right away I thought Beast Wars. I always knew about the disc somehow, but I never knew what it looked like until school, which is when I pieced it together. It was very exciting, and everyone thought I was a crack head for watching Transformers. It's a cool feeling, it would be like finding out Santa is real. Glad you got a kick out of it:) 

2. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    I've actually known about the real life disks longer that I have known about them in Beast Wars.

3. giga-galvatron

giga-galvatron Decepticon S.T.A.G ******

Dont get on the guy for not knowing that the discs were real. I didnt learn until after Beast Wars that the disc were real and what message contained in them. Right now they are the farthest man made object in space. From where they are now, the Earth looks like the dot you make with a pen on a piece of paper. Thats crazy. They should be running on full power until like 2020 I believe then their systems will start to shut down and they will just float aimlessly in the vastness in space. I hope they send an updated voayager probe with all the advancement we have today.

4. Sage

Sage The ZetaConvoy

Amen to that. Beast Wars Megs is one of my favorite TF characters of all time. Gotta love that clever little bastard. :thumb 

5. Sage

Sage The ZetaConvoy

Yup. In "The Agenda, Part Two" BW Megs is telling the story about the disk to Ravage. The Voyager spacecraft is pictured flying through space, followed by G1 Megs burning a message into it, also in space. The time into the episode starts at 15:47.

*flexes the geek muscle - wrenches it ("pop") - needs to sit down*

6. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    funny thing about history. I learned about V'Ger back in 3rd grade.
    then my folks watched ST:TMP on cable and thought that was cool.
    i didn't learn about the disks in BW until well after the show was off the air and couldn't see them for myself.

I am not gonna harp on a guy for announcing to the world he just found out something new.
    hell, i am still embarrassed about not knowing you could stand Prime's Trailer up and use it as a Mech Repair bay for so long.

and while we are at it...did ya know that because of the disk, Carl Sagan is the only scientist in the world to have released or recorded a gold record?
    it is a pun/joke, but seriously, he is given credit for being the only scientist with a gold record to his credit.
    it is a music industry tribute thing to him.

7. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    That was a different Voyager, the Voyager VI, which doesn't actually exist as the program ended after Voyager II. Yeah, I know you were only joking :D 

What's funny is Star Trek the Motion Picture cribbed the story from themselves, a TOS episode. For their first movie.

8. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We Exist, and We DON'T Want to Date You

News Credits:
    Goodness, are they not teaching much about the history of the space program in schools anymore?

--Moony

9. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    We must get Autobots to protect The Disk or Megatron will get the Predacons to destroy all humans and we may not exisit and the Autobots wiull be Defeated when they come to Earth back in 1984.

Yeah this Cool.

10. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    um, you should be afraid. schools are only teaching to pass standardized tests to save faculty/admin jobs.
    free thought, intuitive learning, stuff like that...poof! all gone.

My 13 year old neice can't think for herself. she reads what they tell her, doesn't ask-doubt she's encouraged to-for more information and they move on.

so you think a gold disk that may help us contact another world is important enough to teach? i doubt it.

Oddly...they approached Harlan Ellison when brainstorming for ST:TMP and asked him for the most outlandish Star Trek story. He said, let them find GOD.
    They scoffed at him. Fast forward a few years to Star Trek V...the crappiest piece o' crap in the series...which was...spock's bro found god??????
    and they dumbed it down.

sorry about the rant.

i'm gonna give ya advice...when you read things, click on the links you see, read the side notes, go off on tangents and learn for yourself. and ask all the dumb questions you can.
    oh, brag about what you learned. some of us would like to hear it.
    peace.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2008
  11. rattrap007

rattrap007 One meme mutha f’er TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Yup it was in the motion picture. Was called "V'ger" because the "oya" had rubbed off.

12. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Slightly unrelated, but does anyone understand why the Disc gave Megatron the power to change the future? I mean, are we just supposed to think that G1 Megatron changed the disc in a way that granted that ability? But why wouldn't BW Megs still be able to affect events without the disc? It makes no sense to me.

13. Sage

Sage The ZetaConvoy

Apparently, G1 Megs documented history, which was still in BW Megatron's "future." Having these locations and events documented gave him the power to know when and where things happened/were going to happen, and the chance to change them to his own (so very evil) design. :D 

14. Veloxiraptor

Veloxiraptor Moé than Meets the Eye

News Credits:
    Right, but it seemed to me that the disc had some kind of special power of its own. When Megs had the disc, he could have Rampage blow up a mountain with no ill effects. But after the disc was broken, he tried to kill Optimus and it caused a timetwister. I guess I just didn't understand how the disc GOT that power.

15. Sage

Sage The ZetaConvoy

The power isn't in the disk, per se, but in the manipulation over time and events (the information on the disk and how one could use it). The mountain was fairly insignificant in its role in time (apparently), so no big deal. Prime led the Autobots to victory, so killing him would change things in a BIG way, therefore changing the timestream. If the mountain had some larger significance historically, it could have arguably caused a timestorm of its own.

16. mattarmstrong

mattarmstrong Well-Known Member

yeah hes got a point there LOL