The Golden Discs Are Real!!!

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Squishy, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Squishy

Squishy the squishy one

Sorry, I just found out this morning in my astronomy class...The Golden discs in Beast Wars are the same records NASA attached to the voyager probes!

[​IMG]

I saw that picture this morning and I was all "OHMYGODTHEGOLDENDISCSFROMBEASTWARSAREREAL!!!!!!"

Probably not really new info...but I thought it was cool.

2. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Not even remotely new, if you're aware of the date the Voyager probe launched. :p 

Definitely one of the more neat inclusions into the BW mythos, G1 Megatron's loooooooong-term contingency plan!

3. Squishy

Squishy the squishy one

Considering I wasn't in existence until well over a decade later. I never got much info on the voyagers. Until this morning I thought they were just odd props in the cartoon. My prof got a kick out of the neatness of it too lol.

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
  5. Chosen

Chosen Space Ninja

Wasn't alive when they launched either - and I still knew about them before BW aired, so meh.

6. ambushbug74

ambushbug74 Stroke me, Stroke me! TFW2005 Supporter

Not being alive when something happened isn't really an excuse. I wasn't alive durring Kennedy's Presidency, yet I am aware of it.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Only one golden disc is real, the Alien disc (Inferno's discovery) has no real-world counterpart like the Voyager's.

You never saw the ep where Megatron stated that the Golden disc was originally from the Voyager Spacecraft? I thought the inclusion of it was brilliant. It's plot arks and twists like that that make BW so great.

I wonder who really got that disc...

8. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    Nasa Ftw!

9. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

Don't you watch Star Trek? It collided into some kind of alien thing and then became convinced it was god. :lol 

10. Squishy

Squishy the squishy one

Yeah, but the voyager records aren't nearly as monumental as that particular presidency. It's not a thing taught in schools, so without actual research into the voyager programs or beast wars muses I wouldn't have ever found out.

NO! I never saw that episode. Which season was it in? Was it the one where he has rampage nuke a mountain?

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Large things like that are different, knowing something trivial or not just depends upon the person. By your stance you should know everything, you can't have much of an excuse if you dont.

Learning is a process for a reason, the OP has learnt something new. Just like you will do at some point.

12. DinobotGrimlock

DinobotGrimlock Well-Known Member

I know the disk was on Voyager in the story and I knew of Voyager. But I didn't actually know the golden disk was really on it. I have never researched the specifics of the Voyager mission.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    kinda funny that the golden disc was launched years before the transformers woke up on earth though.

14. Sage

Sage The ZetaConvoy

G1 Megatron is pictured in BW imprinting a message on the disk in space. He just caught up with it and etched in a little "message."

Megs is cool like that.

15. Salvanis

Salvanis Probably not a true fan.

In terms of relevance to daily life, certainly, but in absolute terms of importance, I'm going to have to disagree. In my opinion, the Voyager records are quite possibly the most monumental thing humans have ever created, for one simple reason: long, long, LOOOOONG after the last human to walk the earth is dead and gone, those tiny pieces of human knowledge and information will still be flying along their course through space. If humanity were to be extinguished tomorrow, those spacecraft would be just about the only reminders in the universe that we ever existed.

Wow. Now that I think about it, it would have been fantastic to put some handiwork in on a Voyager. Knowing that of all the people to ever build anything ever, your work would outlast them all by orders of magnitude. I think I just blew my own mind.

Sorry for the slight derail. Anyway, I'm glad to hear when someone learns something new and is excited about it, regardless of how many other people already knew it. People being excited about learning anything happens all too infrequently these days. Especially about astronomy and science in general.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yeah, one of the most complex and Brilliant things he ever did was leave a back-up plan. Thankfully for him, he had an even more brilliant robot to put his plan into motion for the greater, evil good.

One of the reasons I love BW so.

17. wheeljaxx

wheeljaxx Banned

they don't teach the history of space flight in American Schools? the country that landed on the moon? WOW, i live in Canada, and WE learned about the Voyager missions when i was in grade school over 20 years ago. Not to sound snooty or anything, but the stereotype that the american school system is bunk, just keeps coming up with reasons to really believe it.

18. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

nope, not taught at all. quite sad, actually, as is most of our ed. system, which is why I couldn't bring myself to be a teacher.

19. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

I learned about it, for what it's worth. It makes me sad that not everyone knew about it. :(  Not knowing the exact significance of everything on the disk? Fine and dandy, there's a lot of trivia involved on that, but not knowing about it at all?

There's also the Pioneer plaque, which I consider equally as important. Heck, it might not have the pretty sounds, but it at least shows what we look like.

20. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I don't remember him putting his message on them in space.