The Golden Compass

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tigertrack, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

Okay, so last night I was watching The Golden Compass on TV. And I have a question about the animated animals in the movie.
    Were the animals supposed to been characters all on their own, or were they supposed to represent the humans characteristics? I noticed in some scenes, the little girl had a cat with her, and in other scenes she had a mouse. Was this significant in the girls personality trates?
    Seemed to me they represented the humans personality to me. What do you all think? Who's seen it, who liked it and what was your interpretation of it?

Characteristics, or companions?

2. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    The animals you speak of in the golden compass are the people's souls and in that world before a person hits puberty (or there abouts been a while since I read the books) there soul animals can change once they hit puberty they settle on one form.

I have not seen the movie but i enjoyed the books.

3. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    They explain the familiars and they change in the movie, more so in the books. I would say pay closer attention when you watch the movie again, but since I hated the flick...

4. Tigertrack

So I was basically right then. They represent the humans character? Awesome! Movie wasn't exactly my cup of tea either, but it was at least original.

5. Fiy

Fiy Alien Velociraptor

News Credits:
    I recomend you read the books. They are a million times better than the movie. After The Golden Compass comes The Subtle Knife then The Amber Spyglass.

6. Tigertrack

I assume TGC is going to have a sequel? The movie sure lend itself to having one.

7. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    I think they said it at the beginning. In that world, a person's soul was on the outside of their body and was represented by an animal. That's why
    the animals dissipated when the person died.

Interesting side note: this movie beat out TF1 for the visual effects Oscar, undeservedly so in my opinion.

8. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah it's explained in the first 5 minutes of the movie. Which was just as well, it failed to hold my interest for much longer.

9. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I guess they're sort of like "familiars" in some sense or other, only they're somehow even more closely related to the person's state of being. The later books really go into detail about the whole "demon" thing.

While it seems to want to set up a sequel, it in fact can not because the ending in the movie was totally wrong in comparison to how the book ends. In fact, the entire last fourth of the movie is totally out of sorts with the book because the order of events is mixed up.

I would highly recomend just reading the books, they're far better and make more sense.

10. jetfire prime

jetfire prime Do it now and do it loud

News Credits:
    im still waiting to hear vangelus' full rant on this movie....

11. Squee

Squee Well-Known Member

I believe the studio said there will be no second movie simply because the movie did REALLY bad stateside. It was however a hit elsewhere. I really liked it and would read the books because of it, but i'm too lazy to go buy them. XD

12. Tigertrack

I don't think we caught that information in the first couple of minutes. Must've gone right past us.

13. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    They didn't mix it up that badly.

The only real difference is that the movie cuts off before the final act of the book, leaving it with a happy (but unresolved) ending, versus the "WTF just happened?" downer cliffhanger ending of the book.

Because wishy-washy happy ending is so totally better a sequel hook than the "holy shit! Wait, it's over?!" of the book...

Regardless, the movie tanked, so while sequels were planned, it's not likely at this point.

14. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

It's okay, the ending of the series is a failure, and makes the rest of the series a waste IMO.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I never get tired of hating this fact. Seriously, talking bears beat out giant damn robots!? My ass.

16. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

This was one movie I just didn't like.

17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fake looking, obvious CG talking bears, versus complex giant fucking robots that looked like they belonged and were a living part of the world they inhabited.

Absolutely cheated.

18. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    ITT: People that don't understand vfx or how the oscars work

oh and butthurt religious peeps (this is the book series that basically ends with a massive boner for atheism or something, right?)

19. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I'll give you that, but I don't like how the lead up was so screwed up personally, namely because it made less sense.

*spoiler alert*

In the movie, Lyra
    somehow ends up at the kingdom of the bears, where her bear-friend goes and kills the human-impersonator bear, and THEN for some reason that is not explained he takes her to Bolvangar, where later she and her friend are rescued by the balloon

In the book, Lyra
    is captured by artic huntsmen and delivered to Bolvangar, THEN she and her human friend are rescued by the baloon but the baloon is attacked by harpy-like things and Lyra falls out...right into the bear kingdom, where she manipulates events so that her bear friend can kill the impostor

Essentially, they put the third event before the first event, so the logic of events is disrupted.

20. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Don't know what ITT means, but I would've loved for Transformers to win that award at the Oscars.