The Golden Compass

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Smasher, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Has anyone seen it yet?

Did you like it?

My three year old daughter has become really enchanted with the movie after seeing the commercials and previews. I was surprised to find it was PG-13.

Is there anything in it that is wholly inappropriate for a three year old's eyes?
    PG-13 is such a wide rating -I mean Beowulf and The Grudge were PG-13.

I can't imagine this movie having anything in it like those movies had.

2. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

Saw it last night with my girl. It was ok....
    it ended in such a way that we felt that they are gonna do it into a trilogy. The ending left the audience "hanging" in mid-air. Some parts were kinda boring, so in IACON's meter it is 6.5/10.

EDIT:
    There is a scene which has two CG bears fight. That might be a little bit too much for a 3 year-old. It is a little bit violent.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  3. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

It is a trilogy...called 'His Dark Materials'.

Three books :

Northern Lights (The Golden Compass)
    The Subtle Knife
    The Amber Spyglass.

4. IACON

Thanks! I didn't know that. :thumb 

5. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Yeah, I wanna see the movie too...6.5 out of 10 eh...sounds like an early feature with no popcorn or soda to me.

6. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    If it's only the polar bear fight I think I will take her.
    She is at the age where she is aware of things like this movie and it hurts her feelings if she can't go.

Typically, I screen the movies in advance, but I don't have time on this one.

7. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Really? That bad huh? Want to see it and was hoping for something good since there's not much to watch this holiday season.

8. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

This only look ok to me. It reminds too much of Narnia, which I really didn't care for too much.

9. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

We saw it today. It was decent. A pretty good adaptation of the book. Though it's completely stupid that they chopped off the ending. Very very poor decision there. I'll be curious to see what they do with the 3rd movie if they end up making the sequels. They definately tried to keep the religion out of it, and really for the first book, and somewhat the 2nd I don't think it's that difficult, but I see no way in hell they can skate around it in the 3rd one. Not unless they completely change the story.

10. Jarodimus

Jarodimus the guy with that scan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Saw it last night. I give it somewhere between "meh" and "blah".

On one hand, it's full of some VERY interesting concepts and is quite visually appealing.

On the other, rather larger hand:

1. Despite ~40 minutes of front-loaded exposition, several of the concepts, as well as the motivations for most of the various factions (including the main baddies), are not explained much at all.

2. Major plotlines are left unresolved. The movie has a severe case of we'll-get-to-it-in-a-sequel-itis.

3. For an anti-religion story, there sure was a hell of a lot of deus ex machina toward the end.

Spoilers for these last three:

4. What the heck was the point of the ice bear fight? I expected Iorek to show up at the end leading the entire bear army. Instead, he's still on his own. (I haven't read the books, so it may well play into later books/movies. But the movie should be constructed to be a complete story unto itself.)

5. Why can't the kids' daemons change into something useful (tigers, lions, gorillas, rhinos, etc.) for the fight at the end? At least one line explaining this would not have gone amiss.

6. I can't seem to find any point for the witches, other than to conveniently show up and kick ass at the end.

End spoilers.

As it stands, I'll be waiting for Netflix to see any sequels. Though I now want even more to read the books, at least to see if things are explained better there.

Really? I Am Legend and AVP:R are looking great to me. But then, so was Golden Compass....

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  11. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm curious about this flim but only for the animals! LOL! Were the effects good and did the anti religious concepts lived up to its hype? I;m concerned because I'm thinking of bring some kids i.e nephews to the show and I don't want to get flak from their parents! XD

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Can someone tell me some Schools baned the books,I need to know what's so Contrversial.

13. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

There really isn't anything terribly controversial unless you are a VERY easily offended and almost unbearably touchy Christian.

*SPOILERS*

Essentially the author (Philip Pullman) is fairly hot on the whole atheist thing and much of the third book deals with a kind of revolution against God (although the concept is really that God is a big fake and not really God at all as we might see him/her and the more interesting theme of the books is the the coming of age of a young girl). Its rather more a dislike of The Church (capitals deliberate) than God.

The books have been painted black in some (Church) circles as somehow forcing children down the path of the unbeliever, but you'd have to be incredibly naive to take them so literally. They actually encourage the idea of rational independent thought, although the atheist preachy-ness of the final book is just rather dull and gets in the way of an otherwise good story.

The books start off fantastically but become bogged down in silly plotting and preaching by the end of the series. If you want a good read then stick with the first.

The director of the first film has made it abundantly clear that he will not shy away from such issues in the next to films should they be brought to development, and has avoided such problems in this one to guarantee a decent box-office to support future shooting. Given the plot-lines in the books it would be almost impossible to dodge the religious stuff anyhow.

The people boycotting such material have either a very weak grasp of belief systems or are easily convinced of the fragility of their own religion, which is surely pretty damn tough after all these years don't ya think?

If you truly believe, these books won't hurt you. If you want to expand your mind then that's possible too.

14. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Saw it friday night, wait for the video. It was ok, the bear fight was the only thing that I enjoyed.

15. IACON

The religious concepts were well visible. But not in a horrific way, one could tell they were relating to the days in which the church was trying to be some sort of a government.

16. Dragonwolf

Dragonwolf dragon-bot

News Credits:
    i saw it and was very impressed

but more importantly my sons loved it and want to see it agine

17. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    I took the the whole family plus a couple of friends to see it.

I was completely unfamiliar with the books so I guess that was a good thing.
    I was impressed with the movie and my 7 year old boy loved it, too.
    He and I are going to go see it again.

The ending does scream "Sequel", but at least they closed the chapter.

I really wish there were a rating between PG and PG-13. There were some parts where my little girl was hiding her eyes in my chest (and I did shield her completely during the bear fight, thanks) but this in no way had anything in it remotely like Beowulf which carries the same rating.

PG-13 is just too broad of a rating IMO.

I also hope the producers of Transformers 2 watch this and take note of the voice processing. Ian McKellan's voice was processed just enough. (I still find it funny that they cast Hugo Weaving as Megatron but then processed the voice so much that it was unrecognizable). I didn't know this movie would have Gandolf and Saruman in it.

My kid looked at Christopher Lee and said "He looks Like Count Dooku. He sounds like Count Dooku." :) 

Just to reiterate: I thought the movie was great.

18. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

AS for the bear fight.. OUCH!

19. Laser_Optimus

Laser_Optimus Your opinion was noted. Now get lost. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've read the books... not that fond of them, but that's because the author is an aethist who pretty much deliberatly belittles anything religious in the books. However, the movie has that stuff removed (as the movie producers, writers and what not didn't want to offend anyone, least not for this round).

Funny you say that given that the author hates C.S. Lewis and wrote this to 'show the other side'.

Myself, I thought it was okay, but that's about it. The next couple are going to be hard for them to keep the religion out of and if the third is as preachy as the book it's going to be a horrid movie.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2007
  20. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    I'm debateing on wether or not to see beowoulf or golden compase