The Golden Compass

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Omegatron, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Just saw this trailer at Yahoo. This might just be the movie I'm looking forward to most for the rest of the year. They've finally stopped billing it as a Lord of the Rings-type, and are letting it stand on its own. Hopefully it'll be as good as the trailer. Anyone else?

-Tony!

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I saw the trailer awhile back when I tried to get advance tickets for Transformers. I was happy to find out about there being a movie based on Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy (I so love that trilogy; I never get tired of reading all about Lyra). However, I'm not happy with Nicole Kidman... I assume she's playing Mrs. Coulter, and quite frankly, I don't think Kidman's right for that role.

3. wavelength

wavelength Well-Known Member

IT. IS. NORTHERN. LIGHTS.

stupid americanisations, northern lights not good enough eh? at least you kept 'the sorcers stone' to yourself :grumblegrumble:

4. Dragonwolf

Dragonwolf dragon-bot

News Credits:
    it was a good movie got to see it last night in a sneak preview

but i want to know what the big deal is with the chuches pickiting?

5. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

What I've heard is that the novels were written by an athiest and his books supposedly tell you how to "kill God."

Wether this is true or not, I think churches need to stop protesting things because all they do is bring more attention to it. I porbably wouldn't have started reading Harry Potter if I didn't want to find out what the big deal was all about.

6. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Probably about as much as CS Lewis's books tell you how to "find" him. Namely, through the aid of magical furniture and three-foot-tall talking rats.

7. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

If they kept that name, all the stoners would be going to see it.

8. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

Just how many of CS Lewis' books have you read? Many of his books are incredibly insightful and well thought out writings about the Christian faith. So if you haven't read them, don't trash them.

I'm going to go see this movie. I read the first two books when they first came out in the US, but I haven't gotten around to reading the third one. I don't like Pullman's ideas about God or how he portrays the church in these books, but I don't think anything from the Golden Compass was all that damning for the faith. From what I understand, it's the third book that Pullman really preaches his ideas, but that's his right to do so.

9. RoboticPlanet

RoboticPlanet Exclusively Exclusive

News Credits:
    As long as the CGI doesn't become nauseating, as poorly done CGI is for me, it looks like a decent movie. I'd like to have a talking polar bear buddy if I could. We'd go on adventures.
    Now I have a 2nd reason to see this. You've struck my curiosity.

10. Phy

Phy I want... ROOM SERVICE!!

News Credits:
    Well, gee, Chet, do you mean there wasn't magic furniture in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe? Although I suppose I ought to apologize; the three-foot-tall talking rodent that assisted British schoolchildren in a physical journey across another dimension to the land of the Emperor-Beyond-The-Sea was a mouse, not a rat.

I haven't read any of Lewis' books past Narnia. But it strikes me that unless God is killed in His Dark Materials simply by not believing in him (never having read the series myself), it's likely to be as fantastical as the voyage of the Dawntreader. Protesting it on that basis would be silly.

11. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I want to see this because I've read the books. I thought they were pretty good, though the 3rd one was a bit off in my opinion. The first two generalize the attacks in a way that it can be seen against just an authoritative institution, and maybe a little bit the Catholic church since the institution in the book is basically a church. However in the 3rd one it's pretty much a flat out and blatant anti-God message. It ends very poorly IMO.

From what I understand they cut out the ending from the first one to leave it for the potential sequels. Seems pretty stupid to me since it was a great setup for the 2nd one.

Northern Lights is a stupid title since it's not really about that anyway, and it's especially stupid for the movie if as I mentioned above they cut out the ending.

Kidman I thought was a great casting decision...the girl playing Lyra though seems like a stiff.

12. Darkravager

I'm not exactly sure what you mean with that "Chet" comment, though I have an idea. I'm not saying that there wasn't magic in the Narnia books. But in those books, the actual things themselves (Wardrobe, picture, etc) were NOT magic. The children got through because Aslan brought them there. So in essence, God finds you. But I don't want to step on your oversimplification or blatant refusal to acknowledge the allegory of these books so that you can say that they're the same thing.

Lewis tells his Narnia stories while at the same time telling a greater story just under the surface about God. This is what Pullman does in his books as well. That is the similarity. They are however worlds apart in scope. That is the problem that many people have with them. Let me again state that I don't really have anything agaist these books. I am capable of not agreeing with them while still enjoying the story.

13. ChldsPlay

The Pullman series wasn't all that allegorical. There is actually God, and actual war against him.

14. Darkravager

Good point. I still like the animal partners.

15. Armorhide

Armorhide Damn kids

since the trailer came out and my mom got this e-mail about being anti-rligious she is going insane everytime somthing about this comes up and says that I shouldn't watch... ever and if she catches me watching it... no more transformers for me....What a load of ASS.

I come from a overly religoius family and I don't realy think that its worth all the scarfices it comes with it!

16. the_riesen

the_riesen INDY COLTS SBXLI-Champs TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    i dont know it looked really lame in the pre-views i thought.

fighting polar bears just seemed really retarded i'm sorry.

17. ChldsPlay

It works in the books. I haven't been that impressed by the trailers myself. The 2nd book is by far the best one though.

18. toma

toma eskimo in disguise

don't worry, it goes by faster than you think, and then when you finally get out on your own you look back on it all and realize why it was important. at least if you're me, that's what happens. it sure beats getting into trouble, that's for sure. i'm sure as constrained as you might feel, your parents have good intentions. mine didn't let me play magic: the gathering, and i survived. it seems like a way bigger deal at the time, but it's a lot better to have parents that care than it is to have parents who don't.

19. Xabungle

Xabungle Well-Known Member

Probably what those offended by the novel are railing against is the portrayal of the one we know as God as a usurper of power and a liar. If I remember correctly, he (He?) did no creating, but instead seizes power and tells everyone he did.

I do not mind the basic atheistic viewpoint that undergirds the novels - in fact I did not even notice until the introduction of God in the third novel. I greatly enjoyed the series - like Dark Ravager says, I don't have to agree to enjoy them, and I certainly don't have a duty as a Christian to be offended. I did mind Philip Pullman bashing the Narnia series, but that's a different matter.

20. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Darkaravger, I believe Phy's response was due to the fact you accused him of "bashing" the Narnia books when he didn't really. Oversimplified, maybe, but not really bashed. (Though I think Lewis can be bashed plenty. I tried to read one of his books and was bored to tears. Couldn't finish it.)

And I'd also like to say that your take on the Pullman novels is very refreshing. Thank you.