The "Get Smart" Movie Thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by cambaprecoz, Jun 21, 2008.

1. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

Just saw, didn't love it, but liked it a lot.

Steve Carrel knows how to deliver a line and make it funny, this movie has some of the funniest lines I've heard in a while.

Spoiler:
    Max: Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
    Chief:I don't know, are you thinking: "Holy shit! Holy shit! A swordfish almost went through my forehead?!"
    End Spoiler

2. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

Great movie.......

For fun, Pretend Champ Kind and Brick Tamland joined the secret service for the first half hour of the movie :D 

3. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I loved it. Besides Iron man, best movie thus far.

Carrell knows how to make things funny at the best times. His comments throughout the movie were priceless. And the airline bathroom scene was just painful to watch.

And of course, the use of the shoe phone was necessary!

4. Bumble Prime

also bill murrays cameo is freaking hilarious!

5. Motor_Master

Motor_Master Lets the balls touch TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Absolutely loved it! I had all the key elements that make a great spy spoof movie, in fact I can't think of a spy spoof that I've enjoyed this much. I'm glad to see that Mel Brooks and Buck Henry were consultants for the film.

*reads spoiler in first post* OMG I loved that. Was anyone else happy that for once the main character in a spy spoof was actually capable of being a spy and not just a clumsy dolt who gets lucky (i.e. Johnny English)?

BTW for anyone going to see the movie at the end of the credits they put "For Don Adams and Edward Platt" I thought that was a classy thing to do.

6. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    Saw it with some friends earlier tonight, a generally entertaining comedy for a change! There were some scenes where they just went a little too far IMO trying to get the joke across, but I dunno, that just sold it even better for me.

I'd recommend it!
    DN

7. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

I saw it today and it was as good as I'd hoped it would be. I really love watching Steve Carell do his thing. The key to his hilarity is the delivery and he's got that down cold. And Anne Hathaway is pretty darn sexy.

I'm really hoping it does well enough for a sequel, especially with Hymie's introduction at the end.

8. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Man, I loved this movie. I was always a fan of the original Get Smart show, and they captured the feel of it perfectly.

For those calling it a spy spoof movie, did you ever watch the TV show? This is how it was. He was competent, not just lucky, but still funny. This is not a spoof, but a good big screen adaptation.

9. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Me and the wife saw it last night at the drive in. I loved it. I used to watch the old show all the time. I loved the old Zigfried's cameo.

10. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm a big fan of the series. I got the entire series on DVD (except the 90s version), Get Smart Again! on DVD, & Nude Bomb (on vhs not sure about dvd).

I must say I loved it. I kinda dreaded it when I first heard it. I thought Don would be spining in his grave. But after watching the previews I wanted to see it but was a little uncertain. Saw a review and Ropert gave it a thumbs up and the guest gave a thumbs down.

Well I saw it today and LOVED it. Brilliant. I would change a few bits and pieces (Make a certain robot be a little more robotic and take things literally). I kept noticing lots of classic stuff tossed in as references. The Wanted poster on Max's fridge is the KAOS agent from the first episode! A picture on 99's desk (or could be the Chief's desk because it was in his office area) was of of 99's mother from the original series). Also noticed to original portable cone of silence from one of the early episodes of the series on display in the museum. Also noticed a reference to the Claw in Max's apartment. Also noticed the airline was named Yarmy. That is Don Adams REAL last name. Kinda cool nod.

Great lines abound in the film. The Would you Believe... in the film easily ranks among my top 3 of all time. My favorite two were:

"Right now this ship is surrounded by the 7th fleet."
    "I find that hard to believe..."
    "Would you believe the 6th fleet?"
    "No"
    "How about a school of angry flounder?"

I forget how it goes but the last ditch was "How about a boy scout with rabies?"

I feel the missed a gag or two. Like when Max fights the big dude on the roof and the punches don't work. It would have been a golden opportunity to use the old routine where he calls the bad guy a name like ugly or dummy, tries hitting him a bunch to no effect, puts his arm on the guys should and says "I hope I wasn't out of line with the crack about..." and the bag guy beats up Max.

I liked this. Max is a bumbler. He is not a total idiot, yet he doesn't rely on total luck. That is the way he was in the original. 99 was fine, but in the original she fawned over Max and would help him. Hope they do a sequel where she fawns over him a bit more.

Loved the reference to Fang. Awwww. Much better dog than the original. I hope in the sequel they do more gadgets. That to me was always great some elaborate contraption. Overall as a fan I LOVED this film. I think I was the only one laughing really hard in the theater. (well granted there were only about 10 people because it was a matinee).

11. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

It was ok. A long stretch in the middle that was lacking in the humor department, but it picked up in the end. I'd give it a C+ or B-. Only the 2nd weekend since May that doesn't have a movie that I'll end up buying.

12. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Ok, where did you get them? I cant' find them online anywhere, except deepdiscount.com, and it's a preorder for season 1 only.

13. netkid

netkid Where's my Goddamn shoe!

News Credits:
  14. Kingplay

Kingplay Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    anne > megan fox

15. Bumble Prime

i hate to say it but..........

agreed :) 

just saw the ad for the dvd sequel Prequel sidestory. Ill wait for some reviews or rent it before i buy it. But i hope it has half the wit of the film, and patrick warburton ftw

16. rattrap007

News Credits:
  17. rattrap007

News Credits:
    thought I'd add all the bonus stuff from the complete original series:

18. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:

Perhaps my recolection is off, but wasn't Maxwell Smart a total moron who got totally lucky every time but made it funny by instilling his character with the firm belief that he is as good as he thinks he is. Or am I thinking of Inspector Gadget, another of Don's most excellent characters.

19. rattrap007

News Credits:
    Inspector gadget was the complete idiot.

Maxwell Smart was a bit of a bumbler. Not a total idiot. He'd get caught easily and try to bluff his way out of it. Max was not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he was not a total idiot.. Just a little clumsy.

Max in the movie is too intelligent for his own good. He is the top analyst at CONTROL but he makes his reports several hundred pages long and put in lots of unneeded info.

20. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Ah, so it was Gadget I was thinking of. In that respect, then really, Maxwell is a lot like the original Inspector Cluseou (sp?) of Pink Panther fame. A very competant investigator and detective, but perinally cursed with poor luck.

Well, I'd rather pass on the movie personally. I love the show too much to risk it, like I did with Inspector Gadget and Sgt. Bilko. Bother that nonsense.