The Generation One Toys Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Bearer of the Dead Matrix

YouTube:
    Encore has a blue visor instead of the red. Also a tampographed autobot logo on the hood.

• Like Like x 1
  2. rapid_fire

rapid_fire TFW2005 Supporter

I like the original better

3. UndertakerPrime

UndertakerPrime Not put upon this world to "get it"

.......you are dead to me.

Just kidding. ;) 
    I have to admit, I’m kinda surprised at your dislike of Darkwing. It’s actually one of my overall favorite G1 toys, between the color scheme, awesome jet, and cool transformation. And there’s no fiction that influenced my opinion, other than the toy’s tech specs; I didn’t read the comic or learn about the Japanese toys until I was older.

But, oh well, to each their own. I like Action Masters, so maybe I can’t say anything :D 

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mormolyce

Mormolyce Well-Known Member

The POTP line has some wobbly entries, but I have to say it's tempting me with Windcharger and Tailgate. Two characters I definitely never expected to be excited about :p 

• Like Like x 2
  6. barry

barry Like a Kind of Matador

News Credits:
    If you love your CHUG updates to be close to G1 toon accurate, they're pretty satisfying.

Hun-garr, or Hun-gurr, or so on and so forth. Has a Transformer even invited so much pedantry? We'll return to that topic later.

What I remember most about Hun-grr was a kid in my school giving me him for free. It wasn't a kid I hung around with much, I can't even remember the circumstances of me hanging out at his house that day. But when I saw he had Huuun-grrrr kicking around in a toy box my eyes went wide. He must have seen me buzzing as he simply asked me if I wanted it. He had no interest in Transformers at all, so it was worthless to him.

Which was pretty cool, because G1 Hun-gurr is was ahead of his time. Soooooo much articulation. Knees, elbows, shoulders, hips, thighs. He’s even got a wee bit of neck articulation. He's even got really great proportions. Ok, maybe his head is a wee bit small but he still looks great. I think he's probably the best of the 'Scramble City' style torso in his robot mode.

Which is no slight of his alt mode. It's maybe not as wonderfully weird as the Terrorcon limbs but it's still pretty damn cool. Ok, it'll always suffer a little from looking like a guy on his back with his legs in the air, but if you can suppress that thought it really does look very cool, especially in profile. A tiny detail, but one that I really love, are the beast mode eyes, which look more like cockpits than eyes. One for those that love their piloted mecha.

Unfortunately, the thing I'm going to remember PotP Hun-garr for is the snarky pedantry of the fandom. God help you if you saw a photo of Hum-gur and, rather reasonably and innocently, said "hey, that's a retool of Silverbolt!" as you'd be greeted with a chorus of "Lol newb that's not a retool. OHMAIGAWD what is wrong with these dumb asses." I know, the sheer impertinence of the observation.

I've started to try and purge both the term 'retool' and 'shared engineering' from my vocabulary to avoid finding myself drawn into such ill-mannered conversations, but regardless of the terms, PotP Hun-grgh is based on CW Silverbolt design. I don't think this Hun-gff, and in turn Abominus, would look like they do if it wasn't for the work done on Silverbolt.

And I think that's the only point the people pointing out the similarity were trying to make.

And it's certainly a clever adaption. If you'd told me you could get Hurrn-grr and Silverbolt from the same basic frame I'd have been skeptical. In robotmode he looks a little top heavy, to my eye, with his dainty legs and his Popeye forearms. The face is so close to the original that I actually find myself wishing they'd done something to make it stand out a little more. Maybe a slightly different shade of magenta for his face. A decadent suggestion in these meagre times.

Despite some admirable touches, like the excellent beast head articulation, bitey jaw, knee flap spines, and a clever little auto transform trick in the tail, the beast mode. I think it’s the legs that really let it down. The front legs are so tiny that it's tough to look at them and take them seriously. I don't think the hind legs are as cool as the G1 version.

It's kind of funny that, for me, the leader of the team is going to be the most disappointing member of the PotP Terrorcons. It's not that he's crap or anything, it's just everyone else looks so much better. But I guess, with Grimlock being my least favourite of the PotP Dinobots, there's definitely a precedent in this line.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  7. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    [​IMG]

In awe of the size of this lad. Absolute unit.

• Like Like x 9
  8. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    It's not just the legs, but the fist peg is crooked so it's constantly prying the forearm apart. What's worse, in my attempt to see if I could fix it, the screw ended up shearing the plastic from it's own socket so the forearm now barely holds together.

I should probably by a junker Shockwave and salvage parts from the KO to fix it or something.

• Like Like x 2
  9. barry

News Credits:
    Christ! That's a lot worse than mine. Sorry to hear it dude, and hope you find an affordable fix.

10. DocSeth81

DocSeth81 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I would say that I like Snarl's robot mode better than the g1 version, but Sludge, hands down, better on the g1 toy. as for the combining thing, while i do like the combine mode, I would have preferred slightly larger, voyager/ultra class dinobots to the whole combine thing. I love combiners, but really in my opinion, G1, RID the original, gobots, and the Brave toys are the only toy lines that have ever done combining well. Outside the third party stuff, of course. They did it well, by keeping things really simple.

I might sound like a g1er too, but, just because something is new,

doesn't necessarily make it better.

He says as he is shooting... Great job Defensor! :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  12. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

I can't comment on POTP Snarl and Sludge as I haven't gotten them yet.

Like you, I'd have preferred them to be larger but hopefully we'll get the oversized KOs at some stage.

13. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Bearer of the Dead Matrix

YouTube:
    In case you were wondering Barry, I did in fact notice you didn’t return to the pedantry topic in any obvious fashion. The way you did address it, however, definitely brought a smile to my face. I agree on the beast mode hind legs, Hasbro should have taken a more G1 route with them. Somebody tried to find a way to separate PotP Hun-grrr from G1 Hun-gurrr but the way they went about it was disappointing. They should have generated a completely new mold, not taken Silverbolt’s body YET AGAIN. However, one cannot argue with the torso results, if but to complain about the lack of dragon head kneecaps. Regardless, the Terrorcons/Abominus will always be my favorite combiner and Hasbro’s newest rendition has only cemented that fact.

• Like Like x 1
  14. barry

News Credits:
    I agree with all the above 100%. Sure, I get that a budget is a budget and I'm massively impressed and appreciative of how inventive the design team have been, but I think Hun-grr would have really wowed me if he'd been a fresh design (notice I'm still staying away from 'mold'). And despite all that, you're right; the Abominus torso looks as good as can be!

More Terrorcons!

My abiding memory of Rippersnapper was terrifying a city of humans in the opening scenes of 'Time Wars' (Set in the unimaginably far off future of 2009). Ever since then I’ve always had it in my mind that the Terrorcons were a mischievous bunch of terrors. Less interested in power and domination than just having a laugh at weaker people's expense. Bots after my own black heart, obviously.

The other thing is that, aside from Blot getting throttled by Death's Head at the start of 'Headhunt', I don't ever remember seeing any of the Terrorcon limbs in robot mode in a single story. I'm sure they probably did, but it's telling that it's those wonderful, insane, alt modes that have stuck in my mind. Along with the Monsterbots, the Terrorcons are the guys sat on my G1 shelves that stay posed in their alt modes.

Rippersnapper is easily one of the nuttiest, and most glorious, of the bunch. A grinning, bipedal little shark, with a couple of big ol' cannons wedged round his fin. Wrongly, I always think of him as being eyeless. Those little, implied at best, eyes always looked like some sort of nostril to me (do sharks have nostrils?). He's also rather poseable, due to the articulation on the shark legs, most likely only there as a byproduct of the transformation sequence.

And it's good the alt mode is such a lot of fun, because the robot mode is total pants. Scramble City style limbs were never that great in robot mode. They had to manage some really shite compromises. But few suffered as badly as the Terrorcons. Rippersnapper has a tiny, pinhead, on a blocky, chubby little body, with stunted little arms sticking out. Bleaurgh. I'm typically so repulsed by the robot mode that I change it back straight away. I just did exactly that just now. It was too shite to look at.

I was massively impressed with Rippersnapper from the moment I saw the first photos. That alt mode was brimming with personality and the robot even managed to look good. Along with Battletrap, Rippersnapper was the PotP wave 2 figure I was most looking forward to.

And he didn't disappoint in hand. That walking shark mode is wonderfully expressive and so very poseable. It really benefits from some great limb articulation. It's a more angular and doesn't have the same smooth curves of the G1 version, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The only place where it suffers is towards the tail. The head is bloody fantastic. We've finally got clearly defined eyes and I'm always going to be a sucker for some jaw articulation.

The robot mode is very impressive, especially as they didn't really have all that much of a springboard. Great proportions and articulation and a really lovely headsculpt. It's one of those ones where it feels like a lot of care and attention has gone into the design of this. Even the colours seem to be a carefully considered development of what was on the original toy.

But what's really impressive is that Rippersnapper seems to manage both his robot mode and alt mode without the compromises that were so obvious in, to pick a couple that are closest to where I'm sitting, First Aid and Blades. Blades has some particularly inelegant solutions to integrating his kibble, with the hinge his rotors are on just kind of hanging around his backside being a particularly glaring example, and First Aid's robot mode has some serious gaps beneath his combiner peg and between his torso and legs. The kibble on his back and the back of his legs is also very gappy. Even if I pull out a superior example of CW/UW figure like Strafe the kibble integration is still pretty inelegant, even though much more engineering has gone into it; Strafe's lower legs are an overly busy mess.

By contrast Rippersnapper's combiner peg design is integrated much more discreetly. He tabs together into a nice, solid looking bot. His beast mode legs use the articulation that's already in the knee joint to fold in neatly and elegantly. The end of his tail collapses into the back of his leg, filling out the hollowness and reducing the amount of kibble that might otherwise hang off the back of his leg. He also has superior arm articulation than any of the three figures I mentioned above, with wrist swivels and a level of shoulder articulation that allows him to cover his face. Coz you know, even sharks get shy sometimes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  15. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    Anybody know someplace better than ebay I could buy Iguanus from? I really want him but the buying options on ebay are kind of crap.

• Like Like x 1
  16. barry

News Credits:
    Are you a member of any of the Transformers FB groups where you live? I've gotten all sorts of good deals and obscure gems by going to the UK FB groups and asking for whatever I've been looking for.

• Like Like x 1
  17. lazerface

lazerface Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wow. I am not much of a Classics collector, but those Abominus figures look great. That could basically fit in with a Masterpiece collection, even if the scale is a little too small. Rippersnapper was one of my favorite G1s (an odd choice, I know).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  18. unicron nemesis

unicron nemesis Collector + Photographer

News Credits:
    Sharing some of the photos from a reshoot of the Clones, together with some "Reformatted" photos comparing vintage and contemporary. Hope you guys enjoy these as much as I did :) 

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  19. Takeshi357

Takeshi357 "Research"

News Credits:
    I'm not even on facebook.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I've honestly stopped getting excited for the whole generation's line, right about the time of titan masters/combiner wars happened. I loved the generations' lines back when they were updated vehicles and looks of the original characters. Now they just remind me of all the g1 toys I don't have. And, I got limited space. lol So, when things like Fortress Maximus came out, I was like, well, I only got room for one gigantic city robot... So, I'll probably go with the original, eventually! lol

With that said, I do think Abominus and Computron look neat. Not nearly as neat as the g1's do apart. But they do look neat combined. But, at the same time, they are my favorite combiners, so it is going to be hard for them to impress me. Especially with a lot of the features of the g1 figures appear to not be present. Like the big gigantic front plate that becomes a shield for Hun Grrr. Or the side arm guns on Scattershot, that connect to the connector ports.

• Like Like x 1