Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jan 15, 2012.
Every now and then I think Squeezeplay is the lamest of the three '88 Decepticon Headmasters, but then I change him from alt mode to beast mode and tell myself to shut up. Taht beast mode is amazing, particularly those bright green eyes that jump right off the pink head. Tfwiki assures me he's a crab monster. Aye, ok then.
(Dunno what went on with the first photo. Looked ok in the viewfinder. Enh.)
When it comes to my "most wanted" G1 list - that is, the list of ALL of them in order of priority - Doubleheader was pretty close to the bottom. But after seeing the listing, I thought about it, and said to myself, hell, I'll bid like fifteen bucks for it, if I don't win, it's no big deal - but if I do win, I'll have Doubleheader for a few bucks.
And then I keep typing "Doubleclouder" instead of "Doubleheader".
Both have some paint scuffs but nothing really major - and considering what I got, they were definitely worth every penny!
Pounce lost his buddy to a yard sale sometime around 1992.
The articulation of the TR clones makes them better figures for posing...
but old Wingspan's head sculp was cooler, and I wish it could flip down in robot mode like the G1 version.
I'm not mad at his new wings transformation though. Less chance of losing them this time!
Last, but by no means least of the '88 Headmasters: Fangry!
Fangry. What an amazing name. Like some sort of precursor to the currently popular 'Hangry'. Did Bob Budiansky come up with the name? Ahead the curve there Bob!
Fangry is a pretty far out toy for the late 80's. With hsi furry head and limbs he's one of the few old G1 beastly TFs that has some organic detail, rather than just being an angular robot in shape of a beast. Off the top of my head it's only really Grotusque and Doublecross that have any similar sculpting. The star of the show is the head sculpts in both modes. That wolf head is just lovely and I'm a total sucker for a bright green face with a big fat visor.
Takara Transformers E-Hobby 77 Detritus (2004)
Possibly the most frustrating G1 figure to sticker up, ever.
All the best
I’m just curious, mine is MISB so I never had the experience
1) Vintage Hound instructions don't show where sticker #20 goes.
2) Found images of used Hound sheets but #20 left on the sheet! (see 1)
3) Sticker #20 goes on sides of Hound waist
4) Detritus has a corresponding sticker labelled #1 on his sheet
5) Main stickermap doesn't show where #1 goes, but transformation step images do show it is also a waist side sticker
6) On Detritus' sheet, that sticker is one piece, you have to cut it in half yourself
7) Detritus artwork shows incorrect orientation and placement of stickers #4 and #5, they don't fit if you follow instructions and card artwork
8) Location of #4 and #5 (forearms) must be swapped and orientation adjusted to actually fit his forearm and wrist dimensions.
9) Detritus has two stickers that have to cover a gaping hole and 25% of the sticker ends up not stuck to anything but 'floating' - no way to avoid this unless you trim them, thereby ruining their look.
10) The lower and outer leg stickers need to be folded round parts. Ugh
11) The ones on the lower shin need folding in TWO places.
12) Detritus has one of the worst-designed sticker sheets and instructions/stock material I can remember for a G1 toy, especially a reissue.
He's utterly gorgeous.
All the best
Oh, is that all?
Hah yeah, and if that wasn't enough, I had to go and make things harder for myself when trying to decide his faction. Autobot? Decepticon? Something off Overcharge's amazing faction stickersheet? No, I read his techspec and there was one thing for it. Cut the Auto and Decep logos down the middle and make half-half faction labels
All the best
Great Pics! Love the split faction logo! Great idea.
G1 Hound 1985 Complete with box
eHobby Detritus 2004 MISB
Isn't he supposed to be a Junkion? Could've just left the faction symbols out entirely.
Also it took me way too long to realize that in order for Bludgeon's shell to sit flush with the robot inside, you have to push the head out. Which the instructions don't mention.
Also is it just me or is the paint caked a lot thicker on these '89 Pretenders than the originals? Would explain why they don't have as much paint wear where the helmet sits on.
I'd love if there was a Shapeways adaptor to allow the Titanmaster to fit on the G1 body.
The Firecons also had organic detail. Well Cindersaur and Flamefeather at least.
Cartoon Starscream #TakeYourChildToWorkDay
I just picked up g1 frenzy and rumble. Figures are in decent enough shape but stickers are beat to hell. Where would you all recommend getting replacement stickers?
What does Jeepers mean?
Labels for Frenzy
Labels for Rumble
It's an old expression of surprise. I was just making a pun.
Separate names with a comma.