The Generation One Toys Appreciation Thread!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    It's been a while since my G1 toys have had the breathing space they deserved. Whilst all of them were on display in my last apartment, it was cramped and much remained stored. After moving to my nw apartment here, the display situation was non-existent. Everything stored, no space to display. Eventually we cleaned up the spare room, and it was possible to have 2 display cabinets again. I chose Detolfs as they are something I am accustomed to and enjoy aesthetically. I don;t ever think I'll be able to have an overwhelmingly large display, I feel I lose the ability to appreciate it fully. So with just 2 cabinets, I decided to focus my display around my beloved 87 and 88 era G1.

So please join me as I build up these 2 cabinets :) 

01.jpg

This is the first time I have gone for white trim on the Detolfs, as so much of our apartment and furniture is white. I must admit, it is my favourite of all the varieties I have owned.

02.jpg

04.jpg

As you can see, I went straight for the 1988 Powermasters, small Targetmasters and Headmasters (that I own). I adore the shared colour palette and am proud to have been able to source such gorgeous used specimens with great stickers. I applied the vintage labels to Darkwing and Fangry myself and I have a vintage sheet with which to fix Landfill's eventually. I do actually have a much nicer Spinister than the one you see, but this Spinister is the one I photographed for the panel in IDW's MTMTE issue 45, so it's special :)  You may also notice silica gel packs which I dot around everywhere that I own TFs to minimise moisture.

03.jpg

Next I did my favourite shelf. 1987 Decepticon Targetmasters and Headmasters. I could stare at this shelf forever.

05.jpg
    06.jpg

I cannot tell you how happy the process was making me. These toys have waited 2 years to get the breathing space they deserve on shelves again, not cramped shoulder to shoulder display. Most of these figures came from the same childhood collection where the owner kept them pristine, probably only just stickering and transforming on release, then stored with their boxes which I also have...and are in lovely condition. Targetmasters Hot Rod and Pointblank front and centre, because they are everything.

07.jpg 08.jpg

This shelf of 1988 Autobot Headmasters, small Targetmasters and Powermasters is another that fills me with pride. Getting a Nightbeat and Slapdash boxed, in this condition, was not cheap or easy. I even had to iron Slapdash's box to straighten out what it had previously suffered! There are toys here I would not have given a second look when I first started collecting as an adult and gone full metal variants and Diaclone, but items like Quickmix, Getaway and Hosehead now stand as some of my favourite figures of all. Delightful items. I do need to re-sticker that Landfill with my vintage sheet.

09.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg

I should make it clear again that my collection is nowhere near complete or comprehensive. This shelf will highlight that. I went out of my way to find excellent Monsterbots, Throttlebots and Autobot Clones, as well as an unused Punch Counterpunch (his vintage labels to be applied in due course). This is the 'gimmickformers' shelf, with sixchanger Greatshot being the absolute talisman of my collection, acquired 2 years ago after over a decade of aching for one. Punch had been in storage since purchase last summer, so it was great to finally experience the figure. My goodness, what a treasure he is. The Monsterbots are divine also, Grotusque being one of the most elegant G1 toys I've ever owned. Instant love. You can see now that the strict theming of the shelves has started to diminish, though. This is most evident in the remaining areas of the display...

13.jpg 15.jpg

I actually started to run out of post-movie Decepticons for this shelf to accompany the glorious Scorponok. I did used to have Scorponok in the middle of the Headmasters and Targetmasters, but it all got too cosy with no breathing space. He is flanked here by a duplicate mint Triggerhappy, and a Japanese vintage Slugslinger with the golden chrome nub paint on the chest (and minot colour variant Targetmaster Caliburst). This shelf above now currently also has reissue Bruticus, reissue platinum edition Astrotrain and Blitzwing, my duplicate Spinister...and even reissue clear Hot Rodimus, 1986 vintage Hot Rod and 1986 vintage Blurr. As I say, getting a bit more mish mash :) 

14.jpg

And this would be "the rest". A European Overlord with the jet shield deliberately on the wrong arm (for fun), my vintage Seekers plus reissue anime Starscream, reissue white Astrotrain, reissue Blitzwing and reissue Insecticons. There's now a Hasbro reissue Soundwave in there also.

16.jpg 17.jpg

This last shelf was meant to be a mix of reissue exclusives and the 84/85 Autobots, but in the end became almost exclusively 84/85 reissue. There's a mexican variant yellow Tailgate/Windcharger, an Encore Bumblebee, reissue Smokescreen and Red Alert and God Ginrai (why you ask haha), the rest is vintage. Jazz is a 1986 Euro release from the "Jazz - Porsche" box, Hub Cap is Chinese release as my 86 one is somewhere else, and I gave Ratchet and Ironhide pride of place because I ADORE the Diaclone powered suit heritage of their robot modes. Those modes and my appreciation of them are my passion for this hobby in a nutshell.

There are still many G1 figures I have that cannot make the display, so I hope to get a 3rd Detolf within the month and stick the remaining reissue exclusives, minibots and odds and sods in there. I'd love a full 4-shelf colour variant Detolf, but something like that is not easy to fill nowadays.

Here's the end result...

18.jpg 19.jpg

It's not a complete collection, it isn't even unique in any way. It's filled with toys that many people have owned many times over, and it;s not a hair on my old collection in terms of rarity or weird interest...but I'm not sure I've ever been happier with a display. Considering I was facing the reality of maybe NO TFs on display in the first home we actually owned, this is a big deal for me. Thanks for sharing it with me :) 

I think 3 Detolfs will be the limit, though.

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 24
  2. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    You’re making me want to go through with my desire to drop all modern collecting and just go vintage.

• Like Like x 3
  3. pg52282

pg52282 TF fan since 1986!!

Put some stickers on him. Missed owning this as I had the original and the reissue. Still have to rearrange my shelf. 20180106_213724.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018 at 12:00 AM
    • Like Like x 12
  4. maz25

maz25 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Maz, get a small dehumidifier and set it to 35-40%. I have a medium sized Frigidaire in my basement which is approx. 400 square feet of finished space, it is excellent. Have about 100 sq feet of storage space with a sump pump. No mold. No degradation or issues with any of my collection.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Any difference to the original?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

I have this Megatron myself but i need to find him in my collection. Thanks for posting a pic cause i love me some Megatron.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Oops missed this!

In Italy, in addition to the blue-cab Powered Convoys, they also received red cab ones too. First they would have been more early mould red cabs, then later TF-mould red cabs also. Early ones would have even had grey missiles and black small fists, moving to dark blue small fists later.

In Japan, we did once see a perfectly unused red-cabbed Powered Convoy with the chrome trailer also. Not sure if that was just a product sample or a very very late and rare release there.

This was my old MIB unused red-cabbed GiG Powered Convoy

GiGPC.jpg

These are the only pics I have of the red cab Japanese chrome trailer version, again unused:

xnews02.jpg xnews03.jpg

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 4
  8. Cattus Doctus

Cattus Doctus Whiskered Questicon

Nice! My wife fears the day when we will have enough space to put in a few detolfs, haha. :) 

• Like Like x 2
  9. omagaprime

omagaprime Well-Known Member

Very well done,nice use of space.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    Thanks dude! It was essential to me that the figures get room to breathe (well, not the poor Autobot cars) - so ultimately far less gets put on display, but I am so tired of a crowded display where reaching for one figure knocks two others over.

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 3
  11. omagaprime

omagaprime Well-Known Member

I'm out of room myself and no room to expand. So I'm going to have to start putting new arrivals in storage.

12. Liokaiser1989

Liokaiser1989 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Hi, have you guys bought any transformers from UK?

13. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    I've been toying with that idea for weeks now.

All the best
    Maz

• Like Like x 1
  14. cryotek

cryotek Criminal Overlord

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Damn Maz. That right there wants me to restart my collection again. And the cabinet looks nice also.

15. mcart

mcart Lighter shade of dork

News Credits:
    I used to buy all my Transformers from there ;) 

• Like Like x 1
  16. pg52282

pg52282 TF fan since 1986!!

No prob. Glad I could help. :) 

As far as I can tell, the upper arms are different. The ridges on the shoulders are gone on the reissue. Also the inner chest is different. Has the pellet firing mechanism. Finally on the reissue, you can put the barrel on the back like in the cartoon while the original you can't.

17. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    No time like the present!!

All the best
    Maz

18. Prime of Shadows

Prime of Shadows Bearer of the Dead Matrix

YouTube:
    Maz, it’s guys like you with pics and collections like these that make me glad I collect G1! I just saw an amazing looking Overlord on Facebook for $1100, if only I still had that kind of cash:( 

• Like Like x 1
  19. Maz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Google+:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    That's a lot of cash, I got extraordinarily lucky with my Overlord, it was basically gifted to me.

Thank you for the kind words!

All the best
    Maz

20. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

Nice collection and display, Maz. I was beginning to think that I may be the only person who owns a G1 Siren...

• Like Like x 1